Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you get more for your money?
Los Angeles 49 69.01%
New York City 22 30.99%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 09:17 PM

409 posts, read 333,658 times

Advertisements

NYC. No car needed, more diverse housing options despite being more expensive than LA.

Someone also mentioned the NY tri-state being less expensive than the Greater LA area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 01:42 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
These are two of the most expensive areas in the USA. However, which one does your money get you further? Both have high rents, but one doesn’t need a car in NYC (it’s hard to get around LA with a car). For 120 a month in NYC (monthly MTA pass), you can get pretty much anywhere in NYC. 120 would probably cover car insurance in CA, but not car payments, gas, etc....
Then why are there nearly 2 million cars registered to NYC residents?

We need to let them know they don't need a car.

Car ownership continues to rise under DeBlasio:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/10/...yor-de-blasio/

You can get around Los Angeles without a car, and plenty of people have been doing exactly that since before the metro even opened. If people think they have to have a car in L.A., let them think that. Its not true.

A monthly metro pass (a newer, cleaner system) in Los Angeles is only $100. What's it like waiting for a train on a 17 degree day in NYC (15 minute headways)?

What does NYC's super duper amazing mass transit system ultimately amount to? A %33 longer average commute than Los Angeles:

https://patch.com/california/los-ang...c-33-higher-la

Considering NYC is more expensive to live in than Los Angeles (for some reason I can't quite fathom), I think we have just laid the prevailing narrative of this thread to rest. Sorry to bring facts to a conventional wisdom-fest.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:33 AM

330 posts, read 293,941 times
As a LA native currently living and working in NYC, I would say the overall cost for both places are pretty similar, but there are more ways you can live cheaper in LA comparing to NYC.

In LA, you need to pay for your car, but you get significantly more space/more value in your rent for the similar money you pay in NYC, the groceries in LA cost significantly cheaper than NYC and the local fresh produce are much more readily available. I absolutely and dearly miss good Mexican food after moving here.

In NYC, you don’t need a car and you can get MTA monthly pass pretty cheap, but what I have experienced in NYC so far is that your daily/monthly expenses just add up so quickly, whether you go get a hair cut, whether you go to a restaurant or when you buy groceries from the store or when you pay for your rent.

After all, I feel so happy living in NYC and I simply can’t imagine moving back. NYC is the tougher city and you will likely face more challenges. But at the same time, what you get out from facing these challenges can also be a very rewarding experience. Even though I was born and raised in LA and I absolutely love many many things about my hometown, LA isn’t really “my city type.” I have never imagined you can do so many so many different things in one day and life can be this convenient before living in NYC. The variety of lifestyles and the diversity of people in NYC you come cross and experience are really the “one of a kind experience” that can’t be replicated elsewhere.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:17 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
You can get around Los Angeles without a car, and plenty of people have been doing exactly that since before the metro even opened.
That's because they most likely couldn't afford a car and didn't have a choice.

You should tell more Angeleno's they don't need a car: Southern Californians are on a car-buying spree, and that’s cutting deeply into transit ridership, study says

Old 10-29-2019, 10:35 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Then why are there nearly 2 million cars registered to NYC residents?
You beat me to it. This was my first thought when everyone kept bringing up transportation costs. As I recall, my friends that moved to NYC after college that stayed for an extended period all ended up getting cars within a couple of years (maybe a couple didn’t?). I now know a slew of people there through my wife, in the city proper and suburbs, and pretty much all of them own cars as well. It’s not just because they’re old and have families, although kids are one great reason to own one, but many are childless and around her age (31).

With that said, those who brought up the expense of a car in LA vs the Metrocard in NYC are assuming these commuter don’t own cars in NYC, and as you pointed out a great many do. Not only that, the $120 a month that’s getting thrown around is a gross understatement if they’re taking the train first to Grand Central/Penn stations before getting on the subway. You can add an extra $300+ a month there (and headache).

Someone else brought up the price of groceries. Those talking about how much you’ll save by not owning a car haven’t done the bulk of their shopping at a NYC bodega. Having the option to shop a few supermarkets along with a Costco trip will pay for that car, especially if you have a family.

Housing, as in SFR, outside the city limits is much cheaper in NYC, but much of that savings is gonna be eaten up by the insanely high property tax in many townships. Let’s not forget the difference in electric/gas bills. Besides that, you now will need a car regardless as things are more spread out. Just getting to a bus stop or store, especially in winter, would be a nightmare. You can actually get by easier without a car in LA’s more “suburban” areas than those of NYC’s. At least this has been my observation in several of NYC’s suburbs I’ve been in vs similar areas of the Valley(s) or OC in LA.

All things considered you’re probably splitting pennies if you’re talking about Manhattan vs the more desirable spots of LA with total expenses. The suburbs you’ll definitely come out ahead in NYC, but not by as much as the price of the house may lead you to believe.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's because they most likely couldn't afford a car and didn't have a choice.

You should tell more Angeleno's they don't need a car: Southern Californians are on a car-buying spree, and that’s cutting deeply into transit ridership, study says
So with no supporting evidence, the people who use mass transit in New York do it because they are sophisticated urbanites and the people doing the exact same thing in Los Angeles do it out of poverty? Thats a ridiculous assumption to make.

There are more privately owned and parked automobiles in New York City than there are people living in Philadelphia. Let that sink in.

Whatever mode of transit people are using in New York City, their commutes are taking them significantly longer in a less dense metro than Los Angeles. I thought NYC was some kind of commuting utopia and Los Angeles was supposed be a traffic hellscape. I guess there aren't any actual facts that support that (as usual).

Out of curiosity, do any of the posters saying "NYC, DONT NEED CAR!" with almost bot-like repetition even know a single person that resides in New York City and does not own any car or pay any of the associated costs?

Old 10-29-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
So with no supporting evidence, the people who use mass transit in New York do it because they are sophisticated urbanites and the people doing the exact same thing in Los Angeles do it out of poverty? Thats a ridiculous assumption to make.

There are more privately owned and parked automobiles in New York City than there are people living in Philadelphia. Let that sink in.

Whatever mode of transit people are using in New York City, their commutes are taking them significantly longer in a less dense metro than Los Angeles. I thought NYC was some kind of commuting utopia and Los Angeles was supposed be a traffic hellscape. I guess there aren't any actual facts that support that (as usual).

Out of curiosity, do any of the posters saying "NYC, DONT NEED CAR!" with almost bot-like repetition even know a single person that resides in New York City and does not own any car or pay any of the associated costs?
Your average transit user makes almost HALF of what a typical commuter makes while in NYC it's about the same.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/t...or-cities.html

It's not exactly a secret that LA transit riders tend to be more on the lower income side compared to other cities like NYC, SF, Chicago, etc..

"According to a survey of bus riders conducted by Metro, 84% of riders did not have a car to complete their trip and 70% ride the bus more than five days a week. 63% of riders surveyed have been riding Metro buses for more than five years and the median total household annual earnings for those surveyed was $15,620."

https://www.kcet.org/shows/city-risi...on-the-decline

55% of NYC city households don't own a car versus 12% for LA. Let that sink in.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/c...-city-map.html

Old 10-29-2019, 02:12 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
As a metro area, the Buying Power is better in NYC (NYC 281.88, LAC 332.02. national average is 100). Neither are good deals, but NYC is the better of the two in terms of cost of living vs. average annual income.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

55% of NYC city households don't own a car versus 12% for LA. Let that sink in.

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/c...-city-map.html
If we have poster after poster exclaiming "NYC, DONT NEED CAR", wouldn't the fact that nearly half of the residents own one be the more relevant information here?

Old 10-29-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
If we have poster after poster exclaiming "NYC, DONT NEED CAR", wouldn't the fact that nearly half of the residents own one be the more relevant information here?
I think they're saying that more in general terms and not absolute, try not to take things so literally. The fact that over half of households don't own a car compared to an 1/8th of Angeleno's is a testament to how much easier it is to live without one in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City