Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you get more for your money?
Los Angeles 49 69.01%
New York City 22 30.99%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 07:10 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Wait hang on a second. Are you saying that if I opt to drive my car in rush hour traffic in a 13 million person metro area there will be bad traffic?

I never thought of that. Insight like that is why I keep coming back to this website.

Must be a Los Angeles thing only, I guess everyone is just zipping around like the Jetsons in the other big metros.
Worst in the nation with no quicker alternatives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 07:15 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Worst in the nation with no quicker alternatives!
Except for the fact that on average, commutes are about %33 longer in NYC:

https://patch.com/california/los-ang...c-33-higher-la

Old 10-30-2019, 07:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Except for the fact that on average, commutes are about %33 longer in NYC:

https://patch.com/california/los-ang...c-33-higher-la
Um we're talking about traffic congestion here, not average commute time. LA consistently ranks as having the worst TRAFFIC CONGESTION in the nation year after year.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:35 PM

700 posts, read 421,876 times
Transportation cost are cheaper in NYC.

Also you do not need to live near manhattan to live in a “cool” area.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:29 AM

503 posts, read 598,122 times
In which city do you get more taken out of your paycheck in terms of taxes? I feel that can make an impact on COL

Old 10-31-2019, 01:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post

This. Nobody understands that our rents are high in NYC because we literally have absolutely costs related to owning a vehicle. Every website has a different number for rents. However, this one seems pretty accurate to me and also includes incomes. So let's go with Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...-dc-is-2347-12
Median rent for a 1 bedroom in LA: $2,362
Median income in LA: $58,043
Rent = 48.8% of income in LA

Median rent for a 1 bedroom in NYC: $2,650
Median income in NYC: $61,816
Rent = 51.4% of income in NYC

Now, take into consideration the cost of owning/maintaining a car. Even the cheapest regular cars are like $200/mo for payment and say $150/mo for insurance. With how much driving one must do in LA, and the high gas prices, let's say $100/mo on gas. That's $450/mo extra just on car-related expenses. And for one of the cheapest cars you can get. This could easily push over $500/mo and even $600/mo depending on the car you own. But I'm going budget here. Therefore, car + rent equates to around $2812/mo in LA.

All you have to pay for in NYC is rent + MTA 30-day unlimited card. The MTA pass is $127 so that makes monthly costs $2777/mo in NYC. That's $35/mo less in NYC than LA. That makes transportation/rent costs 58.1% of your income LA, but only 53.9%.

That doesn't take into consideration the cost of maintenance. Regular oil changes. New tires are a couple hundred dollars. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with your engine or other major parts.

Then don't forget that that's for a 1 BEDROOM in NYC. Plenty of us live in studios. So the median rent for a studio is even lower than that, bringing the cost of living in LA even higher than NYC.

At the end of the day, NYC rents are higher, but so are our incomes. But the biggest factor is not owning a car. Those metal death boxes are expensive af and literally provide no value to the world. They're money pits. They never appreciate in value. They're a burden when considering where to live/work/play.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:37 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Um we're talking about traffic congestion here, not average commute time. LA consistently ranks as having the worst TRAFFIC CONGESTION in the nation year after year.
In my experience cars drive faster in the city of LA than the city of NY, buses are faster, and trains are faster. The big advantage that NYC has is MUCH more grace separated rail transit. But I wouldn't say that the subway in NYC is necessarily faster than driving in NYC. Especially outside Manhattan.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:48 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This. Nobody understands that our rents are high in NYC because we literally have absolutely costs related to owning a vehicle. Every website has a different number for rents. However, this one seems pretty accurate to me and also includes incomes. So let's go with Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...-dc-is-2347-12
Median rent for a 1 bedroom in LA: $2,362
Median income in LA: $58,043
Rent = 48.8% of income in LA

Median rent for a 1 bedroom in NYC: $2,650
Median income in NYC: $61,816
Rent = 51.4% of income in NYC

Now, take into consideration the cost of owning/maintaining a car. Even the cheapest regular cars are like $200/mo for payment and say $150/mo for insurance. With how much driving one must do in LA, and the high gas prices, let's say $100/mo on gas. That's $450/mo extra just on car-related expenses. And for one of the cheapest cars you can get. This could easily push over $500/mo and even $600/mo depending on the car you own. But I'm going budget here. Therefore, car + rent equates to around $2812/mo in LA.

All you have to pay for in NYC is rent + MTA 30-day unlimited card. The MTA pass is $127 so that makes monthly costs $2777/mo in NYC. That's $35/mo less in NYC than LA. That makes transportation/rent costs 58.1% of your income LA, but only 53.9%.

That doesn't take into consideration the cost of maintenance. Regular oil changes. New tires are a couple hundred dollars. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with your engine or other major parts.

Then don't forget that that's for a 1 BEDROOM in NYC. Plenty of us live in studios. So the median rent for a studio is even lower than that, bringing the cost of living in LA even higher than NYC.

At the end of the day, NYC rents are higher, but so are our incomes. But the biggest factor is not owning a car. Those metal death boxes are expensive af and literally provide no value to the world. They're money pits. They never appreciate in value. They're a burden when considering where to live/work/play.
I think that you should compare apples to apples which would be owning a car in both or not owning in either. Otherwise if you're adjusting for the different lifestyles then you need to compare the cost for the median size apartment in LA (which is the figure you quoted) with the cost for the same size apartment in NYC. I'd guess the same size house or apartment in NYC will be about $1,000 more than LA.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:42 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I think that you should compare apples to apples which would be owning a car in both or not owning in either. Otherwise if you're adjusting for the different lifestyles then you need to compare the cost for the median size apartment in LA (which is the figure you quoted) with the cost for the same size apartment in NYC. I'd guess the same size house or apartment in NYC will be about $1,000 more than LA.
I agree with trying for apples to apples. The car ownership bit is something that adds to both, so you can compare it either with or without. Without a car, NYC is substantially easier to get around than LA is for the most part and in many more neighborhoods. With a car, NYC is substantially more expensive than LA. Some people love having a car and some people don’t or are ambivalent, so it really depends on the person. The premise of which can you get more for your money is going to be highly dependent on what the person wants more of in general.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:12 AM

330 posts, read 293,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post

I second this. You don’t have to live in West Hollywood/Beverly Hills to enjoy LA, just as you don’t have to live in Upper West Side/Upper East Side to enjoy NYC. There are plenty and plenty cool places in both LA and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City