Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2020, 05:45 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That's why California is more like Japan, or like you mentioned Europe, while the South and Midwest are the real America (and not in a good way, if there even was one). San Diego's rate is actually slightly lower than some of the larger Canadian cities. 20 is actually considered high for them for less than half of the year. I remember one year (I want to say 2018) when the total for the entire year in SD was 24-ish. The nanny state part though reminds me of the movie "Demolition Man", lol.
I don't actually think CA is a nanny state, but I've heard that expressed from people in the "real America". (Demolition Man is such a classic, by the way.)

It's true that when you look at murder rates for major cities in CA it seems like a different country compared to the South and Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 08:31 PM

141 posts, read 90,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That's why California is more like Japan, or like you mentioned Europe, while the South and Midwest are the real America (and not in a good way, if there even was one). San Diego's rate is actually slightly lower than some of the larger Canadian cities. 20 is actually considered high for them for less than half of the year. I remember one year (I want to say 2018) when the total for the entire year in SD was 24-ish. The nanny state part though reminds me of the movie "Demolition Man", lol.
I agree but don’t forget that NYC is actually the safest big city per capita in the country and that New England cities also have very low murder rates just like CA.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:16 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Birmingham, 44

Old 06-17-2020, 10:21 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Dayton now at 17, 82 year old man killed in vehicle and reported by a family member who said he was killed by another relative.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:47 AM

597 posts, read 449,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Birmingham, 44

Old 06-17-2020, 01:29 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
Birmingham, 44
Could end the year with 100 then. (48 per 100k)

Old 06-17-2020, 04:00 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
I agree but don’t forget that NYC is actually the safest big city per capita in the country and that New England cities also have very low murder rates just like CA.
New England cities are far safer than California's. Don't let New England cities small boundaries fool you.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Major props to San Jose and San Diego.

- San Jose has 15 murders with a population of over 1 million people. (As a point of comparison, Greenville, SC has 12 and a population of 70 K!)

- San Diego has 20 murders with a population of nearly 1.5 million people.

- San Francisco is having a "bad" year with 22 murders and nearly 900K people (last year at this time it was at 16).

California again shows that it has the safest, most progressive big cities in the country.

These numbers are much closer to European homicide rates than American cities in the Southeast and Midwest. Yet you hear people from those parts of the country referring to California as an "over-taxed, liberal, nanny-state nightmare". They're doing something right, clearly.
Not really. San Francisco's metro homicide rate has typically been on par with DC's metro rate.

Same with San Diego to a lesser degree. San Diego's metro murder rate is higher than Boston and still a good 3 times higher than Europe.

San Bernardino's murder rate is like 20 times higher than a typical European city.

Still all nothing compared to what it was a couple decades ago when Los Angeles County peaked at 2,589 murders in a year and 3,000+ in the metro area. Those are numbers you only see in third world countries.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 06-17-2020 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 08:17 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Not really. San Francisco's metro homicide rate has typically been on par with DC's metro rate.

Same with San Diego to a lesser degree. San Diego's metro murder rate is higher than Boston and still a good 3 times higher than Europe.

San Bernardino's murder rate is like 20 times higher than a typical European city.

Still all nothing compared to what it was a couple decades ago when Los Angeles County peaked at 2,589 murders in a year and 3,000+ in the metro area. Those are numbers you only see in third world countries.
We’re not talking about Metro areas, we’re talking about cities. West Coast cities, including most CA cities and Portland and Seattle, tend to have low murder rates. The numbers bear that out. Metro areas tend to be higher than New England, yes.

SF and Seattle in particular have parts of their metros that have significantly higher murder rates than the cities themselves. But New England Metro Areas tend to have a lot of very rural areas. That is not the case on the West Coast, so its not an apples to apples comparison.

As for San Diego, it had a murder rate of 1.7 Per 100K a couple of years ago. That is lower than many Canadian cities and similar to some European cities.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:03 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
https://fox59.com/news/100th-homicid...ears-pace/amp/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City