Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 12:44 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,654,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Charlotte is the best choice. St. Louis is run down and crime ridden in areas. My friend moved there for an Amazon job and he is trying to get out. He has been robbed twice and not been able to make friends. Charlotte is nicer, cleaner, has more job and population growth.
**Yawn**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 01:55 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
I don't know about Charlotte's transit options, but mass transit in St. Louis (especially suburban St. Louis) is a catastrophe (it's less egregiously bad in the city itself). The suburbs have very consciously self-segregated along racial and economic lines and any form of integration (like public transit) with the city is vigorously resisted because it would mean more of "them" coming to "our" part of town. St. Louis' especially western suburbs really are quite nice, so the bunker mentality is, though racist and ugly, "working" in the sense that that niceness is well preserved.
St. Louis has 46 miles (of mostly fixed ROW) light rail... so compared to the depressing level of transit in most US cities, it's actually pretty decent for its size so I think your "catastrophe" claim is pretty ridiculous, but hey, St. Louis loves to bring out a few haters on here...

Old 01-31-2020, 02:13 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Charlotte is the best choice. St. Louis is run down and crime ridden in areas. My friend moved there for an Amazon job and he is trying to get out. He has been robbed twice and not been able to make friends. Charlotte is nicer, cleaner, has more job and population growth.
So if the Nashville MSA has a higher violent crime rate than the St. Louis MSA, why do you live there if this is so important to you?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nt-crime-rate/

Or do you not actually know and you just want to bash St. Louis again?

Old 01-31-2020, 04:35 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Have family in both cities, and I really like them both. As mentioned by other posters, St. Louis has some really nice suburbs with easy access to the city. I like downtown St. Louis as well. Downtown Charlotte is really clean and nice as well. The decision would be based on COL and other personal preference.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:48 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
6 years and out? I’d probably pick a nice St. Louis suburb. Charlotte it probably nicer but it’s only getting busier, more crowded, and more expensive.

The caveat is Charlotte is better for weekend trips. Charleston, Asheville, Atlanta.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
6 years and out? I’d probably pick a nice St. Louis suburb. Charlotte it probably nicer but it’s only getting busier, more crowded, and more expensive.

The caveat is Charlotte is better for weekend trips. Charleston, Asheville, Atlanta.
Yes economies and COL come and go but it’s the nearby attractions and beautiful mountains and ocean 3 hours away that does it for me. There is nothing personal when it comes to choosing between locales for me, I pick which place I prefer, I don’t hate any city and I’ve said this before but when someone disparages where I live near Newark I could not care less. But on here it’s taken so personally.

Last edited by Koji7; 01-31-2020 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Weird typo

Old 02-01-2020, 09:28 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjayhawk1 View Post
I’ve recently learned that due to some changes with a long-time employer, my position will no longer exist. I’m a few years from retirement, and would like to stay with the company, but it may mean a relocation to either suburban St Louis or Charlotte. Neither place would be high on my list of relocation destinations, but it would likely only be for a few (6-7) years, as my plan is to retire in the southwest. Kids are in colleges in other parts of the country. Just wondering if anyone has lived and worked in both places in recent years, or has at least spent considerable time in each place to provide some positives and negatives. I’d likely want to be in a suburban area, with access to mass transit. I’ve spent some time in each place and I know that things like size, weather, and demographics are similar. It would appear that St Louis would be better from a cost of living and central location standpoint, but I hear decent things about Charlotte too. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've lived in both. I have visited Charlotte twice last month and currently live in St. Louis. They both are great places in their own. This is what I see.

Transit is lacking compared to larger cities. St. Louis wins hands down with LRT accessibility and overall connectivity. St. Louis also has more diversity in housing type and different ways to live even in its suburbs. Its a very culturally diverse city. Charlotte has better suburbs for those who are looking for new housing stock. Suburban Charlotte just has a newer fresher feel to it. St. Louis has that old school rust belt energy. Two different places that are hard to compare.

St. Louis is more centrally located and offers a much better freeway system, grid and easy commute times. Day to day living will be easier because of the layout. Charlotte has a much better airport offering more flights and accessibility.

No one can talk about livability in St. Louis without mentioning the variety of top rated attractions that are free. Forest Park is a gem and Charlotte has nothing to compare. In terms of day to day amenities like shopping and things, they both offers the same.

I have to mention how much I love the people of Charlotte. It is truly a friendly city. It is a city of transplants and has a very up beat population that I love. On the other hand St. Louis has that Midwestern homey feel. Even in the more affluent areas you have a very down to earth population who are non pretentious. Some say that St. Louis isn't easy to make friends but that has never been my experience. But Charlotte is clearly more transplant friendly.

I know you didn't mention anything about comparing crime rates or ask for an analysis of race relations. To answer what some have mentioned, both areas have many options for living with very little crime risk. Before signing a lease, make sure you check the crime stats regardless of where you live. With that being said, I have not had any issues with St. Louis. I was robbed on my front door step in Charlotte. I am writing that to emphasize crime can happen anywhere regardless of stats. Both cities are rather covert in their racism. Charlotte is far more of a melting pot and St. Louis is more segregated especially in the suburbs. That is due to the rust belt stagnation and silly lines that have been drawn. Both cities has had some high profile racial incidents with unrest in recent history.

What it all boils down to is if you want sun belt boom town energy or rust belt charm. You cant go wrong with either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City