Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas-Loop 12 vs. Atlanta-ITP
Dallas (Loop12) 39 39.39%
Atlanta (ITP) 60 60.61%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 09:44 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Dallas having strong suburbs is a direct result of mammoth DFW airport, which allowed municipalities outside of Dallas to become economic engines in their own right. It’s called the Metroplex for a reason. Granted in my opinion Dallas core stacks up very well with Atlanta core even with DFW being multi-polar in nature. I wouldn’t be to quick to brag about Atlanta being the 5th most gentrified city in America considering its misplacing key demographics that molded the city into what it is today. Atlanta already has smallish city limits, so it wouldn’t take much to tilt Atlanta politically.
It actually would take a whole lot considering that Atlanta MSA is still surrounded by a sea of blue counties. Even with the demographics changing in the cities core it’ll be hard press to a change a cities political dynamic when you have so many prominent African American political figures in the actual city. A city that hasn’t had a White Mayor since the 70s isn’t going to easily tilt even with gentrification into play. And gentrification is definitely misplacing lower income Black families(not really fond of that) but I do notice what’s different about Atlanta is the fact that gentrification has allowed mobility for upper class Black families and Black entrepreneurs to get a piece of the action.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:51 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Dallas having strong suburbs is a direct result of mammoth DFW airport, which allowed municipalities outside of Dallas to become economic engines in their own right. It’s called the Metroplex for a reason. Granted in my opinion Dallas core stacks up very well with Atlanta core even with DFW being multi-polar in nature. I wouldn’t be to quick to brag about Atlanta being the 5th most gentrified city in America considering its misplacing key demographics that molded the city into what it is today. Atlanta already has smallish city limits, so it wouldn’t take much to tilt Atlanta politically.
It wasnt bragging. You said Dallas has changed the most.Obviously thats wrong.
Atlanta is becoming diverse .DC and Atlanta were virtually identical as far as demographics go up until about 20 years or so ago but for some reason,people think Atlanta shouldnt evolve to be more tp more people and yet retain its character.
Atlanta isnt gonna loose its political leanings by any means. I think Atlanta has been Democratic for more than 140 years and then only twice in its entire history.
How is Atlanta or any other citiy's suburbs any less strong than Dallas?Dallas suburbs are no different in how they relate to the city than how Atlanta relates to his suburbs

Old 02-05-2020, 10:55 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
It actually would take a whole lot considering that Atlanta MSA is still surrounded by a sea of blue counties. Even with the demographics changing in the cities core it’ll be hard press to a change a cities political dynamic when you have so many prominent African American political figures in the actual city. A city that hasn’t had a White Mayor since the 70s isn’t going to easily tilt even with gentrification into play. And gentrification is definitely misplacing lower income Black families(not really fond of that) but I do notice what’s different about Atlanta is the fact that gentrification has allowed mobility for upper class Black families and Black entrepreneurs to get a piece of the action.
Exactly. People dont realize that in cities like Atlanta and DC,and even Philly,African Americans are apart of that gentrification, Its not just the politics but the business and cultural driving the city along with everyone else

Old 02-05-2020, 11:14 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Curious what the square mileage difference, population and population density is between the two areas being compared.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:54 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
It wasnt bragging. You said Dallas has changed the most.Obviously thats wrong.
Atlanta is becoming diverse .DC and Atlanta were virtually identical as far as demographics go up until about 20 years or so ago but for some reason,people think Atlanta shouldnt evolve to be more tp more people and yet retain its character.
Atlanta isnt gonna loose its political leanings by any means. I think Atlanta has been Democratic for more than 140 years and then only twice in its entire history.
How is Atlanta or any other citiy's suburbs any less strong than Dallas?Dallas suburbs are no different in how they relate to the city than how Atlanta relates to his suburbs
To be frank with you I don’t post to be argumentative with anyone. If you feel Atlanta has changed the most the last 20 years that your opinion, that doesn’t make it a fact. I’m entitled to my opinion the same way you’re equally entitled to yours. This is a very subjective topic to begin with that can be viewed through many different lenses. So respect that.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You’re not really telling me anything that I don’t already know about Atlanta. I’m very knowledgable about black America in general. What was the point in the creation of this thread if you were just going to co-sign with the Atlantans on every topic like you normally do. All I’m saying is be fair. Put the same effort into critiquing their comments as you do mines and other Dallas posters. I’m all for having constructive dialogue as long as it’s not one sided.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:50 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
When will the Katy Trail and Beltline discussions start?

Old 02-05-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
When will the Katy Trail and Beltline discussions start?
Why you want to talk about that again? It makes more sense to talk about other projects going on in each respective cities. For example in Dallas Deep Ellum and East quarters have announced several mixed use projects in the month of January.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:16 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Atlanta

Old 02-05-2020, 01:32 PM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
AS hasnt fallen.If anything its better.Especially now its filling in more with new construction and development.
If you were in AS a few weeks ago you are right,it seems dead AT THAT TIME .I attribute that to it being just after the holidays because most of the time its not dead. I was there during Summer and the month of December and it was anything but that.
Also they are doing a major retrofit. Go again around or after April and you will see.
I think you are selling some areas short if you think Buckhead and Decatur are the most lively parts.
West Midtown-Drive from Marietta St going North from Coke HQ's through Howell Mill and 17th.
Inman Park is also a very lively area
Admittedly my visits to AS have been fairly limited over the last 2 years. It seems like however that it got overshadowed by Avalon not to mention the high number of break-ins to the residences in the area have caused some residents to flee. I did notice they seemed to be building something in the middle of AS but activity was nothing like I remember it years ago. It used to be nearly impossible to park there.

This is a photo I took if it a few weeks ago because i was shocked at how empty it was

As for the other areas you mentioned, I havent seen them in some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City