Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 11:48 PM

946 posts, read 566,069 times

Advertisements

Thought this would be a fun thread, since these two cities couldn't be more opposite

For you personally, which would offer better

Quality of living
Entertainment
Outdoor activities
Place to raise a family
Weather
Food

And do you find the bayou or the desert more pleasant to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 12:45 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Phoenix.I would think New Orleans would be a pretty bad place to raise my family.I prefer the outdoors activities in New Orleans but i prefer the climate in Phoenix

Old 02-20-2020, 09:31 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Quality of living: Depends on what you are looking for, and which things you are concerned with. New Orleans is certainly far more human scaled, neighborhoody, etc. though other QOL metrics might swing Phoenix's way.
Entertainment: New Orleans, though Phoenix is much larger and that part would be felt. This is a qualitative vs. quantitative debate.
Outdoor activities: Phoenix
Place to raise a family: I'd have to say Phoenix
Weather: Phoenix due to proximity to cooler areas/microclimates
Food: New Orleans

And do you find the bayou or the desert more pleasant to look at?
On average, I prefer a green landscape, but the bayou is so... flat. So desert.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:53 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Phoenix for sure. I like that Phoenix offers a good value. I could not live in New Orleans.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Thought this would be a fun thread, since these two cities couldn't be more opposite

For you personally, which would offer better

Quality of living New Orleans
Entertainment New Orleans
Outdoor activities Draw
Place to raise a family Probably Phoenix
Weather neither
Food New Orleans

And do you find the bayou or the desert more pleasant to look at? Both have their own charms but Phoenix has more within driving distance.
Personally, I like the walkability and the passion of New Orleans. It's a place we'd consider retiring to.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:19 AM

472 posts, read 347,355 times
I'm originally from Phoenix and live in NOLA now and been here awhile- here's my 2 cents-

Quality of living- depends on where you are in life and what you want. I'm gonna say overall Phoenix though. If you have a passion to party and/or enjoy the uniqueness of NOLA, you'll enjoy it more. The infrastructure and shopping are much worse in NOLA. Primary public education is a wash, both are terrible. Music scene is def better in NOLA than PHX though.

Entertainment- it's really NOLA vs. Scottsdale and Tempe here, with a dash of Phoenix downtown. I'd give it to NOLA but I haven't really partied in PHX in a long time so could be different now.

Outdoor activities- nature wise, PHX. Kayaking here in NOLA is terrible, the nearest real park is about an hour and a half away. Walking along the streets here is cool but there's no hiking like there is off camelback or lost dog trail. PHX is close to flag and sedona for great outdoor activities as well, whereas I just drove up to Gatlinburg to go snowboarding last week (about 10 hours away). I will say, I prefer Destin beaches and Orange Beach to SoCal though. I did love growing up in the valley though and being able to go to ranches and horse back riding etc., but most of that has been bulldozed down.

Place to raise a family- PHX

Weather- PHX, but both are meh during the summer and great the rest of the year. I personally prefer a middle ground with some humidity but not like NOLA.

Food- Wash. NOLA's cajun/creole cuisine is better, PHX has great mexican food. PHX has way more to choose from though. I'd give a slight edge to PHX.

I actually really love both cities- if I had to choose, I'd choose Phoenix over NOLA for the long run. Phoenix is so big though now and super busy with terrible traffic. So perhaps going back now would make me think twice. I'm sure the grass is always greener.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:37 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quality of living: Pheonix easily
Entertainment: NOLA easily
Outdoor activities: Pheonix
Place to raise a family: Pheonix
Weather: Both are absolutely hell but I'd take the scorching summer over the high humidity + occasional Hurricane.
Food: NOLA easily

I'd choose Pheonix.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:39 AM

264 posts, read 250,400 times
Quality of living: Phoenix
Entertainment: NOLA
Outdoor activities: Phoenix
Place to raise a family: Phoenix
Weather: Both suck. I'd go with Phoenix because hurricanes.
Food: NOLA. Phoenix if you are really into Mexican food.

I'm not too big into deserts so I guess i'd take the Bayou.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:42 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Wouldn't want to live in New Orleans. Now for a vacation? NOLA by far. However outside the French Quarter/urban core it just isn't a very nice place in my opinion.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:03 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Quality of living - Phoenix
Entertainment - Depends on the "entertainment". For me, Phoenix
Outdoor activities - Phoenix
Place to raise a family - Phoenix, hands down
Weather - Phoenix
Food - New Orleans

And do you find the bayou or the desert more pleasant to look at? For me, a tie. Both have their good and bad.

Overall: I'd much rather live in Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City