Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 02:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Government buildings and all DC still has a much larger extensive urban core overall than Seattle and Vancouver. The downtown size is much larger than most cities being discussed here.
IMO, even if the DC urban area spreads further out, it doesn't equate in quality. Quality>quantity for me. Vancouver has a very solid, dense, urban core. So does DC, but it isn't as intense or high-quality as Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 03:10 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Some of those DC areas go beyond a six-square-mile area. Give DC 8-10 square miles and it has a better case.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:47 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I would add in Philadelphia just above or just below SF. Idk enough about Guadalajara or Monterrey to comment, but I was definitely curious how they would fit in on here. I have't been there so I wouldn't want to comment.
Yea, you're right.

I think my list stays the same, but now with Philadelphia also as a potential candidate that kicks out one of the lower ones like San Francisco.

Definitely:
NY
Mexico City

Probably:
Santo Domingo
Chicago

Possibly:
Toronto
Montreal
San Francisco

^That's seven

Also possibly:
Guadalajara
Monterrey
Havana
Port-au-Prince
Philadelphia

Old 03-28-2020, 05:17 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That used to be true a decade ago, but that is completed false now in 2020. NOMA, Union Market, Mt. Vernon Triangle, Logan Circle, Navy Yard, SW Wharf, Dupont Circle, and Mid City have very high population densities. Many have census tracts between 80k-100k people per sq. mile in 2020. DC has added over 100,000 people since 2010 mainly in the neighborhoods I just listed.
Yea anybody referring to just DC being downtown and whatever buildings are there, haven't visited recently. The city's core is much more expansive and still impresses well outside of downtown, and in all four quadrants of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Some of those DC areas go beyond a six-square-mile area. Give DC 8-10 square miles and it has a better case.
Well that's been my whole point in this thread? What is being defined as urban core?

Old 03-28-2020, 05:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, you're right.

I think my list stays the same, but now with Philadelphia also as a potential candidate that kicks out one of the lower ones like San Francisco.

Definitely:
NY
Mexico City

Probably:
Santo Domingo
Chicago

Possibly:
Toronto
Montreal
San Francisco

^That's seven
I think that is the correct 7, but Montreal I would slot above Toronto and maybe bump SF above it too.

Santo Domingo is intriguing in that, there is a metro subway etc on a Caribbean island, and is Miami like in look and feel, but significantly more dense. Hard to say if I would place it above Chicago, but it is in the top 7.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:35 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Guadalajara and Monterrey don't have particularly large or vibrant cores. GDL is bigger/better, but still not in the conversation.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM

373 posts, read 252,676 times
When I say CORE I'm talking about the city center at its peak urbanism. Basically I'm asking what cutues core gas the highest level of urbanity (ex: lower level urbanity being LA and Oakland densities,,,highest urbanity being hongkong, midtown manhattan densities)

Old 03-28-2020, 06:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
When I say CORE I'm talking about the city center at its peak urbanism. Basically I'm asking what cutues core gas the highest level of urbanity (ex: lower level urbanity being LA and Oakland densities,,,highest urbanity being hongkong, midtown manhattan densities)
So you are asking about population density, not the built environment? An area with 1-story buildings that have 5 people per bedroom would be the highest level of urbanity based on your definition when compared to an area that’s mixed use with highrise’s and retail with extreme vibrancy, but a lower population density because the people per bedroom max is lower?

Downtown NYC, for instance, is very urban, but has much lower population density than other lower intensity parts of Manhattan because there isn’t as much residential development and some other places are almost all residential.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:10 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
The easiest way to compare urban cores is the structural build environment and vibrancy. The use of buildings changes with time and really has nothing to do with vibrancy. First floor retail facing the street near heavy rail transit stations is usually the most important combination for vibrancy. You should rate these cities on the size of their urban cores based on a cutoff when they drop off (consistently) to lower intensity development. Combine that with how vibrant is that entire area on average.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:11 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Downtown NYC has HUGE population density. They're just mostly office workers rather than residents. Population doesn't always mean resident population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City