Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 08:34 PM

72 posts, read 60,327 times

Advertisements

I live north of Dallas in a suburb. In my suburb Plano there are about 60,000 Asians (current estimate). I can say there is not really a large southern or western vibe in my neighborhood that's for sure. At my company in my small division there are 12 different languages spoken in a department of 70 people. My wife's company is the same way everyone is from somewhere else and really hard to detect the southern or west vibe. I believe DFW career opportunities would be much greater than JAX (it's 5 x the size).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 09:14 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Have you even been to Dallas (or Houston, or Austin for that matter) to even make a judgment? It would be best to visit both cities to get a feel before dismissing Texas out right. Or did you already have your mind made up that you wanted to go to Jacksonville? Jacksonville is a lot more southern in character than Dallas is tbh.
Actually-I think I'd agree with this-since a move is obviously going to involve a significant amount of time in whichever you choose.. it really wouldn't hurt, if you are able to spend a week in both to get a feel for what you are going to be doing living-wise there. Not so much like a vacation (although you can look into the types of things you would enjoy doing when living there), but about.. which part of each city do you like, what is it like driving into and around your office.. etc. I highly recommend you do this in fact, even if you are leaning towards Jax. Jax may be more your speed.. but southern/western/cowboy vibe definitely isn't something to worry about in Dallas. On some levels... it will feel almost more like a calmer/smaller Los Angeles (or a larger Denver) than it will feel like that. If anything, the problem may be the culture shock in the transition from a smallish place in Southern Florida to the 4th largest metropolitan area in the US, and for that reason.. as I think you and I shared, Jacksonville may still better suit your needs, at least starting out!

Old 04-12-2020, 12:48 PM

12,825 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Since when are sports franchises accurate depictions of how a city generally is today in 2020? All sports franchises play up to a city's reputation. Most of these franchises were created decades ago and it's no point in changing them now.

As far as Houston's rodeo, the actual rodeo is really an afterthought at this point. The food and the musical performances far outweigh the actual rodeo. Cowboy hats and boots is not an everyday thing or really common in even smaller cities in Texas let alone the major cities. I mean you can simply go on youtube and get a glimpse into how Dallasites and Houstonians are living on average and it's nothing like the tired country western stereotypes.
I’m talking about the rodeo event as a whole. That was meant to be complimentary to Houston. Did I say Dallas is all southwestern? No but it is a part of its culture right? There’s more to Dallas than cowboy hats but it is part of its culture and that’s nothing to be ashamed of. Outside of this forum most Texans are proud if their southern/southwestern culture

Old 04-13-2020, 11:16 AM

140 posts, read 141,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I’m talking about the rodeo event as a whole. That was meant to be complimentary to Houston. Did I say Dallas is all southwestern? No but it is a part of its culture right? There’s more to Dallas than cowboy hats but it is part of its culture and that’s nothing to be ashamed of. Outside of this forum most Texans are proud if their southern/southwestern culture
That would be true of many small cities throughout Texas where people grew up in Texas. In Dallas you are just as likely or more likely to meet somebody who is not from Texas then you would from Texas. That's just the way it is in 2020...

Old 04-13-2020, 01:07 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
That would be true of many small cities throughout Texas where people grew up in Texas. In Dallas you are just as likely or more likely to meet somebody who is not from Texas then you would from Texas. That's just the way it is in 2020...
Cowboy hats/western wear were never a big part of Dallas culture, even in 1920. I've read plenty of accounts of small town Texans in that era who would dress up and leave their cowboy hats and boots behind whenever they traveled to Dallas. They were going to the "city" in other words, so you didn't to want look like you were coming from a small town. Maybe cowboy culture was more prominent in Dallas in 1870 when it was nothing more than a frontier outpost?? That seems more plausible but I don't know. You see more cowboy wear and country bars in places like Fort Worth, Nashville, and to a much lesser extent, Austin than you do in Dallas. There are indeed some western wear shops, country music bars (including a gay square dancing one), and even a small park filled with cattle drive sculptures (Pioneer Plaza) in Dallas, but they're like a drop in the ocean compared to just about anything else in the city. Dallas does have a rich blues history though from the 1920s-30s that has been unfortunately ignored.

Lastly, there is this bizarre obsession by a certain poster on here (not the OP) over "southerness," whatever that means anymore. It's a barely disguised way of trolling, while pretending to provide some sort of "cultural analysis" that's filled with outdated stereotypes, total inaccuracies, or plain ignorance. So I would take those opinions with a pound of salt.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:40 PM

12,825 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Cowboy hats/western wear were never a big part of Dallas culture, even in 1920. I've read plenty of accounts of small town Texans in that era who would dress up and leave their cowboy hats and boots behind whenever they traveled to Dallas. They were going to the "city" in other words, so you didn't to want look like you were coming from a small town. Maybe cowboy culture was more prominent in Dallas in 1870 when it was nothing more than a frontier outpost?? That seems more plausible but I don't know. You see more cowboy wear and country bars in places like Fort Worth, Nashville, and to a much lesser extent, Austin than you do in Dallas. There are indeed some western wear shops, country music bars (including a gay square dancing one), and even a small park filled with cattle drive sculptures (Pioneer Plaza) in Dallas, but they're like a drop in the ocean compared to just about anything else in the city. Dallas does have a rich blues history though from the 1920s-30s that has been unfortunately ignored.

Lastly, there is this bizarre obsession by a certain poster on here (not the OP) over "southerness," whatever that means anymore. It's a barely disguised way of trolling, while pretending to provide some sort of "cultural analysis" that's filled with outdated stereotypes, total inaccuracies, or plain ignorance. So I would take those opinions with a pound of salt.
IDk if you're referring to me kind sir, but this post has a ghost of Christmas past vibe to it. I'm not trolling in any way.

Old 04-13-2020, 04:39 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_wu View Post
Even the seeing that in small Texas cities is a stretch depending on what part of the state your in I guess. I’m from East Texas full of small cities and it’s rare to find anyone dress like that on a regular basis. Unless it’s a trail ride or a special event centered around a rodeo(which a lot of Native Texans never been or it isn’t their thing) it’s rare to find ppl in Cowboy hats and boots. Also no one in East or South East Texas refers to that region as the Southwest.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Being weary of the "southern spirit" in Dallas might be understandable if the alternative was Chicago. With the alternative being Jacksonville that just doesn't make any sense. In no way is Dallas more southern than Jacksonville...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City