Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:15 AM

422 posts, read 396,174 times

Advertisements

As a CA native the thought of making a change has crossed my mind lately. Out of the three metros listed which would you choose for:

COL
QOL
Job Opportunities/Economy
Entertainment
Outdoor/Leisure Accessibility
Proximity to other major cities

Quick rundown I'm born and raised in CA, wife is originally from Toronto but has spent some time in GA. Couple in our mid 30's, no kids yet but planning on it soon. Her family still lives in Toronto, my parents are in CA so would like to have easy accessibility to both locations. I have sisters who both live in DMV and ATL areas. Not 100% sold on making a move as we bought a new home 2.5 years ago but would be open to it if everything makes sense. I work in logistics and she's in the medical field.

I've been to all three cities numerous times and they're all pretty similar in most sense. Trying to stay out of the cold/snow, extreme heat doesn't bother me as much as high humidity heat.

Any thoughts or feedback would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 11:37 AM

747 posts, read 496,640 times
COL- Phoenix. All 3 cities are very affordable for their sizes but Phoenix is stupid cheap.

QOL- Dallas. Atlanta is close, considering it has great amenities and is a major city, but imo Dallas has it beat, ever so slightly.

Job Opportunities/Economy- Phoenix. No contest. But the other 2 cities have strong job and wage growth as well.

Entertainment- Atlanta. By far the most fun city of the 3. Dallas is second, and Phoenix a distant third.

Outdoor/Leisure Accessibility- Atlanta. Phoenix is blazing hot 8 months out of the year. Dallas has its moments but it’s also hot too often as well. Atlanta is the closest thing to having seasons, so outdoor activities are appropriate a good amount of the year.

Proximity to other major cities- Dallas. It’s within 4 hours or so of Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Atlanta is within 4 hours of Nashville and Charlotte. Phoenix is 5 hours from LA, Vegas, and San Diego

Dead even with 2 apiece. Which factors do you value most? For instance if you have a job lined up or work from home, I’d choose Atlanta in a heartbeat. If you want to take advantage of income taxes, Dallas is your clear winner.

My choice would be Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix in that order.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:39 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
From the choices Atl fits your criteria most.
Loss of job opportunities in all three but in my opinion the tree cover makes outdoor activities in Atlanta more bearable than in the other two. I would give it the edge for entertainment too

Old 04-09-2020, 11:50 AM

11,776 posts, read 7,989,264 times
COL - Phoenix > Atlanta > Dallas - Dallas has become expensive over the decade, Atlanta has too but not as quickly as Dallas.
QOL - Dallas - No state tax, very easy to get around, booming economy.
Job Opportunities/Economy - Dallas
Entertainment - If you're into Sports, Dallas easily. If you're into music, shows, movie scene, bar scene, ect - Atlanta easily.
Outdoor/Leisure Accessibility - Atlanta easily
Proximity to other major cities - Dallas is close to San Antonio, Austin, and Houston but all of them are like alternate versions of Dallas except Austin. Atlanta has more variety in destinations within its proximity. I'd say Atlanta.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
COL- Phoenix. All 3 cities are very affordable for their sizes but Phoenix is stupid cheap.

QOL- Dallas. Atlanta is close, considering it has great amenities and is a major city, but imo Dallas has it beat, ever so slightly.

Job Opportunities/Economy- Phoenix. No contest. But the other 2 cities have strong job and wage growth as well.

Entertainment- Atlanta. By far the most fun city of the 3. Dallas is second, and Phoenix a distant third.

Outdoor/Leisure Accessibility- Atlanta. Phoenix is blazing hot 8 months out of the year. Dallas has its moments but it’s also hot too often as well. Atlanta is the closest thing to having seasons, so outdoor activities are appropriate a good amount of the year.

Proximity to other major cities- Dallas. It’s within 4 hours or so of Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Atlanta is within 4 hours of Nashville and Charlotte. Phoenix is 5 hours from LA, Vegas, and San Diego

Dead even with 2 apiece. Which factors do you value most? For instance if you have a job lined up or work from home, I’d choose Atlanta in a heartbeat. If you want to take advantage of income taxes, Dallas is your clear winner.

QOL is subjective.

Phoenix a distant third when it comes to entertainment is an exaggeration. So is "blazing hot" for 8 months out of the year.

Proximity to other major cities - What difference is one hour if you're already driving 4 hours? Although I love TX, when considering proximity to other major cities/entertainment, I would imagine LA, Vegas (4.5 hours), San Diego, and Puerto Penasco MX (closer to 3.5 hours) may be a bigger draw for some than the other cities you listed. Since OP's family is still in CA, this makes sense.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:31 PM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsaeed View Post
As a CA native the thought of making a change has crossed my mind lately. Out of the three metros listed which would you choose for:

COL
QOL
Job Opportunities/Economy
Entertainment
Outdoor/Leisure Accessibility
Proximity to other major cities

Quick rundown I'm born and raised in CA, wife is originally from Toronto but has spent some time in GA. Couple in our mid 30's, no kids yet but planning on it soon. Her family still lives in Toronto, my parents are in CA so would like to have easy accessibility to both locations. I have sisters who both live in DMV and ATL areas. Not 100% sold on making a move as we bought a new home 2.5 years ago but would be open to it if everything makes sense. I work in logistics and she's in the medical field.

I've been to all three cities numerous times and they're all pretty similar in most sense. Trying to stay out of the cold/snow, extreme heat doesn't bother me as much as high humidity heat.

Any thoughts or feedback would be great.

Phoenix might be the better choice for you because of low humidity, decent COL and as a CA native, it would be an easier transition.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
I from Phoenix and now live in Atlanta. Atlanta and Dallas have some similarities but Phoenix is nothing like Atlanta. Only thing they have in common is sprawl but that’s about it.

COL: Phoenix. Atlanta and Dallas are pricey in their cores but all 3 cities are more or less on par with each other. Of course your paycheck goes further in Dallas due to no state income tax in Texas.
QOL: Subjective. You can have a decent QOL in either city.
Job Opportunities/Economy: Atlanta and Dallas are very corporate cities with lots of companies headquartered in both. They’re also huge transportation hubs. Both cities have booming economies. Phoenix feels more blue collar and doesn’t have a huge white collar employment base for such a large city and metro area.
Entertainment: Atlanta
Outdoor/Leisure Accessibility: Phoenix wins hands down. Dallas and Atlanta can’t hold a candle to the outdoor activities offered in metro Phoenix. North Georgia is beautiful but Arizona is absolutely breathtaking with so many outdoor activities. I miss the mountains out West!
Proximity to other major cities: Atlanta. Atlanta is within a 2 hour drive of Birmingham, Chattanooga, Knoxville. Within a 3-5 hour drive of Nashville, Savannah, Greenville, Charlotte, Florida Panhandle (Destin beach, etc). Not to mention having the world’s busiest airport and being within a 2 hour flight of 80% of the US population.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:02 PM

240 posts, read 129,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post

There are not significantly more job opportunities and a better economy in Phoenix compared to Dallas.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:11 PM

129 posts, read 111,108 times
Phoenix is a strong contender here especially for the fellow Californians looking to flee Comifornia. Chances are you'll know someone here.

Good article on Forbes about Phoenix's growth and economy
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendar.../#132e802d443e

Solid job market (and tech jobs - 6th in tech job growth):
https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/3/3/...gital-services

Old 04-09-2020, 02:22 PM

101 posts, read 80,510 times
I vote Phoenix. A previous poster stated, "stupid cheap". No, not that cheap. I classify it as normal affordable for those that work for a living. Housing is going up quickly. Rents have risen here faster than anywhere in the country.

https://www.usnews.com/news/business...t-rising-rents

If you are comparing to LA, SF, Seattle, and NY ... sure, considerably more affordable than those metros that are extreme cases and not in line with the sanity of the rest of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City