Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 03:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
"They" isnt the whole state but you characterized it as such. Texas is much more culturally complex than that. If you included Georgia with North Carolina, Mississippi, and Alabama, you would have a population and size similar to Texas as well as a similar political make up.

Population sizes are close:

Texas: 29,360,759
GA/NC/AL/MS: 29,199,149

Youd have 4 democratic voting populous metro areas:

DFW
Houston
Austin
San Antonio
El Paso

vs.

Atlanta
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Greensboro
Birmingham

Texas has similar square mileage to those states:

Texas: 268,579
GA/NC/AL/MS: 224,920

Youd have a similar proportion of blue and red votes (Im excluding 3rd parties since none garnered much support in any of these states):

Texas: 52.6% Trump and 47.4% Biden
GA/NC/AL/MS: 53.1% Trump and 46.9% Biden.

I didnt pull this out of my rear end, I do it to illustrate a point. Just as North Carolina and Mississippi are culturally different, so is East, West, South, and North Texas. The Texas you speak of that is full of hardcore libertarians that despise any sort of regulation may fly in some parts of the state, but our major metro areas arent like that and voting patterns reflect that.

Texas is a complex place. Reducing it to a mindset that can be typed in three sentences is ridiculous. Its ever bit as ridiculous as trying to say the south is one mindset monolith.
Excellent post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 09:44 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAnulty View Post
I'm not sure why you would ask this, the "they" who votes in the majority to continue such a broken system. I think that they you know what I meant.
The cities and counties the major cities are in are democratic ones though. Mayors are democrats and politically and culturally tend to be different than the majority of smaller Texas cities that tend to be overwhelmingly conservative. I don't understand why people think Texas is one big groupthink.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:54 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAnulty View Post
I'm not sure why you would ask this, the "they" who votes in the majority to continue such a broken system. I think that they you know what I meant.
Which is not the cities of Dallas, Austin, Houston, or San Antonio. That majority comes from suburbs and rural areas that benefit from the jobs and GDP generated by those large focal cities. Until this year, Georgia was red and making similar decisions to Texas. Are you going to blame Atlanta residents for Georgia's missteps? And Phoenix is more conservative than any of those cities.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
"They" isnt the whole state but you characterized it as such. Texas is much more culturally complex than that. If you included Georgia with North Carolina, Mississippi, and Alabama, you would have a population and size similar to Texas as well as a similar political make up.

Population sizes are close:

Texas: 29,360,759
GA/NC/AL/MS: 29,199,149

Youd have 4 democratic voting populous metro areas:

DFW
Houston
Austin
San Antonio
El Paso

vs.

Atlanta
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Greensboro
Birmingham

Texas has similar square mileage to those states:

Texas: 268,579
GA/NC/AL/MS: 224,920

Youd have a similar proportion of blue and red votes (Im excluding 3rd parties since none garnered much support in any of these states):

Texas: 52.6% Trump and 47.4% Biden
GA/NC/AL/MS: 53.1% Trump and 46.9% Biden.

I didnt pull this out of my rear end, I do it to illustrate a point. Just as North Carolina and Mississippi are culturally different, so is East, West, South, and North Texas. The Texas you speak of that is full of hardcore libertarians that despise any sort of regulation may fly in some parts of the state, but our major metro areas arent like that and voting patterns reflect that.

Texas is a complex place. Reducing it to a mindset that can be typed in three sentences is ridiculous. Its ever bit as ridiculous as trying to say the south is one mindset monolith.

Yes, very good post.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:12 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
Now that regional Politics is out of the way ..... where next. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We all know this is not the forum to stick to Politics and I am not sure that these choices are going to be based on that alone.... and what as far as these metros offer. After all, was not this to be on METROS to move and not regions that includes fully Conservative non-metro regions that are mostly the same in every state. Nothing new there whether south or north. Perhaps California is a exception?

I think it is GREAT that those who find it difficult to live COL in California move. Just note..... they WILL bring their views that includes aspects of Politics. Some might mix fine in for taxes and big government dislike. But socially, many will be far more accepting and liberal there in not a Cancel Culture of non-Nuclear family values alone and maintaining a status quo of less change over most jumps in art, culture, advancements and leaps in human knowledge over centuries and how some created more a moving to cities rather then being more Nomadic cultures by religious limits and those that maintain a more rural one. Suburban is much more a new concept and American desire to maintain at any cost. That generally knows no liberal vs conservative side alone. Still urban more does steer liberal and always has.

The California weather, coastal and scenic wonders just in that one state and mystic of California.... will STILL have those who want to move in as others get out. Just some want to doom it as their political agenda and religious one to both.

Religion generally slows a bit advancements and change in culture etc. Not that it is bad..... just it place historically more limits to change and desire to change for even changes sake. Kept some cultures more simple and nomadic while others progressed even with religion. A lot depended on how Conservative and fighting change that religion was upon history.

Clearly, one has to know there will be more likely one is around more religious people in some of these sunbelt metros then California or Pacific Northwest or New England cities. Still everyone has plenty who are religious and more Conservative because of it.

So pick one by,

Job- most in your field and back-round of skills and of course where the offers are more plentiful.
Climate - there is always that element... but to expect a S Cali Mediterranean climate elsewhere is moot.
Level of Ethnic mix - you may or may not prefer and most of course all have all races. Some may have much less Hispanic mix then say a California.
Do a visit and check it out - Some might offer more urban areas and more green? Some might have more the Suburban-like feel you may prefer or want less of?

One BIG ONE - DON'T forget that there are plenty other regions in this country and areas and metros still much cheaper even up North. Yes one will have more a real winter. But most of these cities DO HAVE BROWN WINTERS anyway but a Phoenix of course in the city..... still a desert climate is far from green unless irrigated. Some claim all 4 seasons even if winters are less the real kind that is out of fashion and hated today. I am not sure Phoenix is one that can claim seasons in the sense of more like 2 of them .... a milder summer vs hot as hell summer type. Others Brown winters and some short spurts of cold and even snow..... shorter lived and then a much more HUMID Summer the a Southern California and it is clearly a change.

Neither of the main 3 metros mentioned are the most Conservative ones today. So Politics means what for this thread?
We seem to have a history of Corporate America choose the boom areas and dessert them because of RACE, CLIMATE and of course COL that will continue to rise in the DARLING METROS OF STILL TODAY.

Last edited by NoHyping; 03-23-2021 at 05:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City