Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 07:59 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
So whats the reasoning for people moving from California to Atlanta but not Miami,DC. Philly or even Boston?Wheres Houston?
I lived in Atlanta and I definitely recall quite a few California natives living in the area. I think Californians are attracted to COL more than anything in Atlanta. It’s a metro that attracts transplants from all over the place so you can get all the big city amenities without paying Boston/Miami or DC prices.

I’m shocked to see Houston didn’t have more considering how many Cali transplants I run into in Houston. But Houston growth has slowed down for the past 5 years in comparison to other cities in the state like DFW and Austin. I’m pretty sure DFW and Austin has more Cali transplants than Houston for various reasons. One being the tech industry. If I’m not mistaken though, Houston gets more eastcoast transplants than DFW though. Unless that’s changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 08:44 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times
I'm of an Atlanta or Houston kind'a guy. Both have very reasonable real estate prices, but both are extremely large.

I lived in Atanta, and it was like 75 cities in 12 counties butted up against each other. But he northern suburbs of Atlanta arer especially nice--especially up close to Lake Lanier.

We keep a place up in the mountains, and seldom ever go into the city because of debilitating traffic.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I lived in Atlanta and I definitely recall quite a few California natives living in the area. I think Californians are attracted to COL more than anything in Atlanta. It’s a metro that attracts transplants from all over the place so you can get all the big city amenities without paying Boston/Miami or DC prices.
And you also have the TV/film industry in GA which is bringing more Californians to GA.

Quote:
I’m shocked to see Houston didn’t have more considering how many Cali transplants I run into in Houston. But Houston growth has slowed down for the past 5 years in comparison to other cities in the state like DFW and Austin. I’m pretty sure DFW and Austin has more Cali transplants than Houston for various reasons. One being the tech industry. If I’m not mistaken though, Houston gets more eastcoast transplants than DFW though. Unless that’s changed.
Houston was still going pretty strong in those years as far as growth is concerned, but apparently more of its growth in the post-recession era has been attributable to natural increase and immigration than I would've thought. Harris County has slowed considerably as far as domestic migration goes and the subutban/exurban counties now outpace it in that category. Still I would've expected Houston to make that top 10 list seeing as though it was second in the nation for domestic migration in raw numbers from 2010-2017: https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/20...ris-county-not

Old 04-28-2020, 09:51 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

I was surprised by Houston also.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:42 PM

1,056 posts, read 725,174 times
Quote:
So whats the reasoning for people moving from California to Atlanta but not Miami,DC. Philly or even Boston?Wheres Houston?
Perhaps hurricanes have something to do with it? The only one of those top cities you listed to be vulnerable is New York, and even it's less vulnerable than all but one of the cities you mentioned (Boston being the less vulnerable one).

Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
They are sending people to those areas too, just not as many it could be a lot less than Atlanta or a few thousand less, you can probably find the raw data and crunch the numbers. The chart on the link I provided only shows the top 10 metro areas but you can hover over the state as well to see how many went there. GA had a total of 176K people from CA move there from 2013 to 2017. MD+VA had 240K combined in the same period, many of those likely going to the DC area. Texas in total had 726K people from CA move there, a few of those ended up in Houston for sure. Since the chart stops at top 10 metro areas it's very possible that Houston just missed the cut.

Does the Northeast draw in many people from other states? I've assumed no, since the census trends show most people are moving south. I can't speak for Miami, I know very little about it.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I'm of an Atlanta or Houston kind'a guy. Both have very reasonable real estate prices, but both are extremely large.

I lived in Atanta, and it was like 75 cities in 12 counties butted up against each other. But he northern suburbs of Atlanta arer especially nice--especially up close to Lake Lanier.

We keep a place up in the mountains, and seldom ever go into the city because of debilitating traffic.
I like living on the east side of Phoenix for the similar reasons, although our traffic congestion is thankfully not like Atlanta. Proximity to some of my favorite mountains around the valley plus a few of my favorite lakes. I'm a big fan of Canyon Lake here, although Lanier looks really nice as well.

This is Canyon Lake:

Old 04-29-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
LOL
Thats exactly what ive said more than once.
Here is the thing:
You focus on California migration because its by far the single biggest source of people coming to PHX whereas in cities like Dallas and Atlanta ,the draw is a lot more widespread.
This is not a thread about "where Californians go"
It seems this is a theme among PHX posters. This is truthfully why I dont find anything appealing about PHX.It simply has no identity or,culture.Its connection to another state is stronger than anything it has on its own.
I have nothing against PHX but when someone from PHX says Atlanta is "run of the mill", its just comical.

If Im not mistaken you arent originally from PHX. The other poster boosting PHX has a Houston address so that should tell you something.

What does me not originally being from Phoenix tell you? That I loved it enough to move here and stay here permanently? Sounds like a place that has 1 or 2 things going for it to me. This is my home, that's what I call it, the city I was born in I call my birthplace.

I get why you moved to PHX or live there.Its truly a beautiful ,clean,functional and orderly city and in teh future will be a place even I would consider but in all honesty its average in every way.Its environment is why it exist and why its booming.The desert is truly unique

If Phoenix only existed because of it's environment it would be tiny, why is that hard to understand? Tucson, Sedona, Prescott, Payson, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and many other Southwestern towns all have great environments as well but remain considerably smaller. Phoenix originally prospered on farming, sound familiar to a Big Peach resident? The area did and still does grow a lot of cotton and previously had a lot of citrus (which has shrunk with population growth). This was followed later by large military installations during WWII, then a huge influx of baby boomer's parents moving here after the war which really has not slowed down since. Beyond that the area had the natural requirements to sustain growth, being water, land, and leadership who focused on building economic opportunity, including a fairly famous battle with University of Arizona, who fought like hell to avoid Arizona State becoming a university, which as a result still has one of the most heated rivalries in all of college sports. 5 million people don't live here because it has nice weather and hiking, those are just unique aspects of the city.
CA is the biggest single in-migration state to AZ but it's not the biggest source, most new residents in Arizona come from local families having babies of course. 40% of Zonies are born here. 9% of the state comes for California, which is more or less reflective of Phoenix since 5 of the 7 million people in the state live in metro Phoenix population.

The Phoenix Metro adds around net +90K people per year, give or take, the numbers below are gross inflow figures. While 31K come from Cali while the other 50K+ do not, nor does the bulk of our growth which is people born here. Of the top 10 states relocating to AZ half of them are not considered Western (we call Texas the south not western here).

Last edited by locolife; 04-29-2020 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-29-2020, 12:17 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
CA is the biggest single in-migration state to AZ but it's not the biggest source, most new residents in Arizona come from local families having babies of course. 40% of Zonies are born here. 9% of the state comes for California, which is more or less reflective of Phoenix since 5 of the 7 million people in the state live in metro Phoenix population.

The Phoenix Metro adds around net +90K people per year, give or take, the numbers below are gross inflow figures. While 31K come from Cali while the other 50K+ do not, nor does the bulk of our growth which is people born here. Of the top 10 states relocating to AZ half of them are not considered Western (we call Texas the south not western here).
The point of me asking your place of birth was that when so many people are from other places,it tells you about the culture of a city.
You said yourself you like it because of the climate a,weather and no litle traffic if im not mistaken
PHX is not 40% from AZ. I cant find exact numbers but its 21% in Maricopa County.
In Atlanta (Fulton and Dekalb Counties) its roughly 34%.This is on par with places like LA County,Queens,Kings. Compare that with a city like Philadelphia County with a native population over 60%!
The county in the metro Atlanta area with the lowest native born is Gwinnett with about 20% followed by Cobb at 26% but the rest of the metro areas counties are all over 40%.
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/c...by-county.html

Much of what you said is really nothing even smaller sized cities dont already have. Military installations?Yeh I know I had assignments at Luke AFB. A university or two?Still really nothing special.Many of the top 20 largest cities has all of this and more. Its a moot point because Phoenix is growing very fast but Im not convinced that people are moving there soley for the economy when there are so many other options

Atlanta was not founded due to farming at all.It was because of its location.The railroads were built and met there. Hence its nickname was called Terminus.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:47 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,187 times
Default How could Atlanta be better than Dallas??

Is this poll real? How could Atlanta be better than Dallas? I dont see it. We have the Cowboys, Fort Worth, we used to have the best job growth in the country by taking jobs from California but now we also have a startup scene. We have Frisco which is the best place to live in the whole USA according to the tabloids. we have an amazing uptown and Klyde Warren park. I cant imagine how Atlanta could possibly be better. Please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City