Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 08:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As far as I know none of those hills are high enough to escape the desert heat, though.

Phoenix being only 2 hours from mountains with dramatically cooler weather does nothing for me. I'm not making a four hour round trip drive every summer weekend just to escape the heat. What about the weekdays? Are you going to get into your private jet and fly to the mountains? Face it, 99% of the time in the summer you'll be in brutally hot Phoenix, not in the cool mountains that are "only" two hours away.
Why would you like Atlanta or Dallas better then? They're both hot as well without nearly the climate diversity Arizona has. The sun does set every night and cooler temperatures arrive, the low in Atlanta in July is only 10 degrees different than Phoenix, which is essentially the same as some Phoenix suburbs like Cave Creek. Do people in Phoenix go hiking on summer afternoons? If they're crazy. Every morning and evening however the trails stay fairly busy with folks heading out, year-round. I happen to love night time hiking in the summer, it's a great way to see the city and wildlife.

Brutally hot summers? Sure, in the afternoons that's what were known for, the mornings are fine and evenings are good as well for most of summer. You make it sound like in Phoenix you shut the doors come June and don't open them again until September... not really, boating at the lakes, pool parties, bbqs, night time hiking all go on.

Of course you'll notice a difference on the mountains around Phoenix, the most dramatic would be Browns Peak which gets snow in the winter and you'll notice a real difference at almost 8,000' elevation. All Four Peaks, which Browns is a part of, are taller than any mountain East of the Mississippi.

2 hours is just one example, which is Flagstaff, you can also go to Payson, Prescott, Pine/Strawberry, Globe and many other places in Arizona's rim country. I don't know anyone that goes every weekend but I go 1-2 times per month in the summer months to enjoy the change of scenery. From my place just east of Phoenix I can be to Payson in about 70 minutes, which sounds like a normal daily commute in Atlanta.

I'd much rather live in a place with diverse terrain and climates than not. I love the fact that you can go from the very unique Sonoran desert to a vast forest of Pondersa Pines in the same time many large cities spend commuting each day.

Last edited by locolife; 04-27-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
LOL
You dont agree with tha because you said BUT and still trying to convince otherwise.
Ive been to PHX and PHX feels just like Dallas in that its flat as a pancake compared to Atlanta. Just driving through in around Atlanta,the roads are curvy and hill. Sometimes very steep inclines.

Here is an areas 30 minutes South of Downtown in an are called Chattahoochie Hills. The name should tell you something.
One of the top EDM music Festivals was planning to move there this years. Before that,the Tomorroworld Festival had been held there

Do explain more on how Phoenix feels just like Dallas. Here's an aerial view of all 3, Dallas and Atlanta could be twins.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Do explain more on how Phoenix feels just like Dallas. Here's an aerial view of all 3, Dallas and Atlanta could be twins.

Clearly you missed the context
Both are relatively flat.
Neither is lush or green.
The way the streets are more on a grid even in the burbs.

Yes Dallas and Atlanta as a metro are similar from a built environment standpoint.
Thos pictures are so old of both cities but you knew that

Old 04-27-2020, 10:40 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:

Yes Dallas and Atlanta as a metro are similar from a built environment standpoint.
The photo of Phoenix is old as well and you would know that if you were familiar with Phoenix. Between 2001 and 2007.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Do you really think Dallas and Phoenix are more comparable from the level of lushness or greenness in the city? I put Dallas and Atlanta much closer on this than Phoenix. Dallas gets 38" of rainfall per year, Atlanta gets 49" of rainfall, Phoenix gets 8" and none of them get any real snowfall so this sums up the annual precipitation.

Dallas is home to the Great Trinity Forest...

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...on-by-city.php

Old 04-27-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
The photo of Phoenix is old as well and you would know that if you were familiar with Phoenix. Between 2001 and 2007.

Yeah, that's a good point the Phoenix picture is pretty old too. I wasn't really looking for a particular age, just demonstrating the layout. It's pretty clear to me Dallas and Atlanta look much more similar than Dallas and Phoenix.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:46 PM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

You can make out the North Georgia mountains.

Atlanta has one of the highest elevations among major cities east of the Mississippi River at 1,050 feet.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:07 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
https://www.dallasartsdistrict.org/w...yline-View.jpg

Old 04-27-2020, 03:45 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
I adore Phoenix.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:46 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
You can make out the North Georgia mountains.

Atlanta has one of the highest elevations among major cities east of the Mississippi River at 1,050 feet.

Atlanta is a jewel. So lush, so beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City