Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Is this poll real? How could Atlanta be better than Dallas? I dont see it. We have the Cowboys, Fort Worth, we used to have the best job growth in the country by taking jobs from California but now we also have a startup scene. We have Frisco which is the best place to live in the whole USA according to the tabloids. we have an amazing uptown and Klyde Warren park. I cant imagine how Atlanta could possibly be better. Please explain.
It's a fake poll. Like, totally fake.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 11:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Is this poll real? How could Atlanta be better than Dallas? I dont see it. We have the Cowboys, Fort Worth, we used to have the best job growth in the country by taking jobs from California but now we also have a startup scene. We have Frisco which is the best place to live in the whole USA according to the tabloids. we have an amazing uptown and Klyde Warren park. I cant imagine how Atlanta could possibly be better. Please explain.
Bored so Ill way in deeper.
Sports valuations are a weird ,marker and no team anywhere can beat Dallas in valuation but
Atlanta United MLS is the most valuable team in MLS.Its only been in operation less than 5 years at least 3 times to playoffs with one of those times as the champion.

Atlanta has had its own start up scene for awhile but its only now kicking in to high gear.Its on many different list as one of the newest tech hubs as seen here its ranked higher than Dallas
https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/12...h-jobs/603460/

In this ranking its in the top 10 at number 5 and Dallas 10th
https://www.inc.com/emily-canal/top-...9-inc5000.html

What Dallas lacks is a strong higher education system like Atlanta with Georgia Tech,Emory,Georgia State University ,Morehouse and Spelman Colleges.Its why Atlanta has a higher percentage of its population with a BS or higher than any other major city in the South.

You have Kyde Warren Park which I must say is indeed a great park but its hardly well known as Olympic Park. No one but those in Dallas know who Kyde Warren is or was.

Uptown is great but Midtown is way more vibrant than Uptown and I say Buckhead as well. The best thing about those areas are that our subway can get more people from all around the city to these places faster and carry many more as soon as they come off the plane at the worlds busiest airport.
ly an attraction like Centennial Olympic Park Downtown Atlanta where the majority of Atlanta 52 million visitors come each year.\

The Olympics park is surround by the number one ranked Aquarium in the world ,The Georgia Aquarium. Not to mention the most recognized brand in the world of which The World of Coca Cola Museum is located
next door as well National Museum for Human and Civil Rights and the National Museum of College Football, with another famous name CNN where it has its Headquarters. across the street.

There was a building also nearby that unfortunately could not be saved that was where the first ever country music record recording was made by the talented but extremely racist Fiddlin Jack Carson. Atlanta and Nashville were neck and neck in the forefront of Country music on the beginning

Now Atlanta economy while booming trailed Dallas but it was catching up and surpassed Houston in growth the last few years but Atlanta was for about a decade where Dallas was not only after the Olympics in 1996 but even before then was doing great.Its one of the reasons Atlanta got the Olympics to begin with.
One of the most memorable events in Olympic history was Mohammed Ali lighting the flame.

Dallas and Atlanta is like splitting hairs,I cant see anyone hating one and liking the other. They are so similar but different enough to a person wanting something a little different.The main thing is:Atlanta is more urban and feels more like a city in the traditional sense. Atlanta has a history that gives it more of a sense of place.
The only other cities in the SOuth that can compare on that level is San Antonio, Nashville and maybe Memphs?
One of Atlanta;s top attractions is Oakland Cemetery. Walking through there will tell you why Atlanta stands out from Dallas

Old 05-01-2020, 12:04 PM

276 posts, read 168,710 times
Quote:

Easy. The Cowboys don't play here

Old 05-01-2020, 12:07 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
It doesn't just say Phoenix, Atlanta or Dallas. It says Other Sun Belt Metro, too. Memphis is also in the Sun Belt.
The average person who's interested in Phoenix, Atlanta or Dallas would not be interested in Memphis, for a number of reasons.

Although they didn't explicitly say this, the context of their initial post implies OP falls into the category I just described.

Last edited by citidata18; 05-01-2020 at 12:24 PM..

Old 05-01-2020, 01:02 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Uptown is great but Midtown is way more vibrant than Uptown and I say Buckhead as well.
Ok the homerism and blindness is kicking in strong here. For one, Uptown Dallas is only comparable to Midtown Atlanta. Even then, Midtown is still geographically bigger so Victory Park and parts of Oak Lawn in Dallas would have to be added in (for comparison's sake). Once you start including Buckhead, which is geographically bigger and less dense/urban than both Midtown ATL and UT Dallas, you have to add in Dallas's equivalents. The equivalents would be Knox-Henderson, the Park Cities, and parts of Oak Lawn. So it should look like this: Midtown Atlanta vs. Uptown Dallas/VP/parts of Oak Lawn OR Buckhead vs. Northern Oak Lawn/Park Cities/Knox-Henderson.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:56 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Ok the homerism and blindness is kicking in strong here. For one, Uptown Dallas is only comparable to Midtown Atlanta. Even then, Midtown is still geographically bigger so Victory Park and parts of Oak Lawn in Dallas would have to be added in (for comparison's sake). Once you start including Buckhead, which is geographically bigger and less dense/urban than both Midtown ATL and UT Dallas, you have to add in Dallas's equivalents. The equivalents would be Knox-Henderson, the Park Cities, and parts of Oak Lawn. So it should look like this: Midtown Atlanta vs. Uptown Dallas/VP/parts of Oak Lawn OR Buckhead vs. Northern Oak Lawn/Park Cities/Knox-Henderson.
Homerism would imply I have no basis for my comments but thats nit true.
The urban core of Buckhead has gotten very dense and walkable, Im not talking about the residential more suburban section.
In particularly Buckhead Village which according to Walkscore gets a 92 vs 86 and 85 for Oak Lawn and Northern Oak Lawn.
Victory Park is comparable to Atlantic Station which has an 83 rating. Couldnt find data on VP.
Henderson gets an 85.
The top Walkscore which are lower generally overall than Atlanta's ,in Dallas are located largely in more Northern areas of Dallas other than Downtown,In Atlanta you see them trend downward going North BUT they remain high until you get passed Buckhead Village.
Taking into consideration all those neighborhoods in Dallas as proper equivalents ,you still dont get the vibrancy judging from the Walkscore data
As I said "vibrancy" I dont see how I was wrong.Density and vibrancy arent always mutual.
Seems like you are the one exposing "homerism"

https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Dallas
https://www.walkscore.com/GA/Atlanta

Old 05-02-2020, 12:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It's a fake poll. Like, totally fake.

Some may have excluded Ft. Worth in their comparison from Dallas. Atlanta wins in this case. With Ft. Worth, Atlanta loses.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:43 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Some may have excluded Ft. Worth in their comparison from Dallas. Atlanta wins in this case. With Ft. Worth, Atlanta loses.
You can't really exclude Fort Worth from Dallas though.

The Census considers it all one MSA.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
You can't really exclude Fort Worth from Dallas though.

The Census considers it all one MSA.
I am just the messenger.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Actually I don't think Fort Worth's inclusion or exclusion would make much of a difference either way. Remember, the criteria are:

COL
QOL
Job Opportunities/Economy
Entertainment
Outdoor/Leisure Accessibility
Proximity to other major cities

COL and QOL are essentially the same with or without Fort Worth. Job opportunities/economy would go to DFW if looking at raw numbers, but percentages/per capita statistics tell a more complete and accurate story and from what I know, the Fort Worth side is performing similarly economically as the Dallas side so that category also remains the same either way. Entertainment does go DFW's way since you *are* talking about raw numbers there. And seeing as though Dallas and Fort Worth are in close proximity to each other and very similar in geography/topography, the last two categories are unaffected either way also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City