Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 11:51 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,142,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Funny how Houston and Miami are both actually surrounded by low lying swampy areas but yet you think Atlanta which is the same elevation as Phoenix is mosquito heaven.

If you dont know that Atlanta is a very hilly city then why am I having a conversation with someone who knows very little about it to keep making up false narratives?
Yes Alanta is very hilly and greeh. So is to is Pittsburgh.
No Atlanta is infested with Mosquitos
No Atlanta is not in a swampy humid location
No its nightlife is not largelyhip hop.Its what you expect in a large metro of almost 6 million
No Atlanta doesnt have a large reneck element considering it has a higher population with BS or higher with more STEM jos than Phoenix
No its not so hotter in the avearage day than Phoenix is on average.
OK.

One has to wonder, what's your beef with hip hop? No one in this thread has said that the Atlanta scene only consisted of hip hop. However, ignoring that it IS a hip hop hub and that the scene in Atlanta has been largely dominated by hip hop doesn't change the facts. I'm sure Atlanta has a great nightlife scene all around.

https://www.wabe.org/vox-atl-can-oth...nated-atlanta/

Last edited by AZLiam; 04-24-2020 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 12:38 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yep, Phoenix is in a valley and it fits that definition as a flat area surrounded by mountains. But where are these Atlanta hills? I consider Pittsburgh a hilly place and San Francisco.

I'm not saying it's unbearably hot but the combo of rain/hot weather does not seem appealing to me. I think of swamps, moss/mold, bugs, etc.. Atlanta has been known as the mosquito capital of the country.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
OK.

One has to wonder, what's your beef with hip hop? No one in this thread has said that the Atlanta scene only consisted of hip hop. However, ignoring that it IS a hip hop hub and that the scene in Atlanta has been largely dominated by hip hop doesn't change the facts. I'm sure Atlanta has a great nightlife scene all around.

https://www.wabe.org/vox-atl-can-oth...nated-atlanta/
Ive already explained it to you. You werent the only person taht had a remark about it. Jd something or another said something about people listing to hip hop drinking a mister.
Agian. I NEVER said Atlanta wasnt a hip hop capital but when it comes to nightlife,its not what people think at all. Just like Country music in Nashville isnt.
I have a problem when people try to simplify things to fit a narrative they have about a place.When it comes to Atlanta its as if people think it only attracts black people which is like sayong Houston and Miami only attract Hispanics.Hip Hop is tied to black culture but so is R and B, and Neo Soul and lately HOUSE. All of which Atlanta is known for but so is NYC,Chcago,Oakland,D.C. etc

Im very proud Atlanta is considered the leader in todays hip hop but thats music and one of many cultural aspects of the city. For isntance did you know Atlanta was the place where the first country music record ever was produced?Atlanta has a very strong history with country music beginings.

A city doesnt have to be one thing or the other. It doesnt have to ONLY appeal to one group or have one main thing its known for. Atlanta is a true urban city with a diverse population more than many cities but people swear its all about hip hop and black people.Its that but more. Atlanta is just barely a majority blacks city and it wont be by the next census.It will continue to have one of teh largest black populations

Hip hop just isnt my main music.I listen to some artist just like I do everything else. I see and hear as much hip as I do in cities many cities with large black populations like Philly.Philly Soul is a thing but most people oustide the black community only know Bon Jovi.
Minneapolis Sound started with Prince and then everything from Terry Lewis and Jimmy Jam etc but no one would call Minneapolis and R&B city

Old 04-24-2020, 01:24 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,187 times
Default I will never forget 2003

One April in 2003(I Believe it was) it rained like crazy in Phoenix for over a week. What came next was a phenomenon that I'll never forget.
The entire valley and surrounding mountains turned green. It was surreal. Phoenix transformed into a tropical paradise for about 3 weeks. The rivers were roaring. After that I tried to find a place that was like that regularly. I never could find a place like that. It sure would he nice if Phoenix had more rain.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:02 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
One April in 2003(I Believe it was) it rained like crazy in Phoenix for over a week. What came next was a phenomenon that I'll never forget.
The entire valley and surrounding mountains turned green. It was surreal. Phoenix transformed into a tropical paradise for about 3 weeks. The rivers were roaring. After that I tried to find a place that was like that regularly. I never could find a place like that. It sure would he nice if Phoenix had more rain.
If you haven't found enough rain in Houston, not sure how to respond to that.

So anyway, all three in question are boarishly hot for many months a year. Holy moly it makes me sweat just thinking about it here in my 40° late-April weather.
So anyway, at least Phoenix is a "dry" heat with nearby mountains to escape to. Flagstaff seems genuinely tolerable. Natural disasters in Phoenix also seem like they would be the least common of the 3 cities.
Dallas has no heat relief in sight. No where to go quickly that doesn't involve at least a short flight up-and-over to Colorado or something like it. Otherwise, their best hope is an afternoon downpour. The worst of the three for outdoor stuff. I've been there countless times, and at least it does seem just a smidgen dryer than points further east:
Atlanta has the problematic southeastern climate with way too much heat and humidity. I guess they have "mountains" to the north, but... eh... sorta.
All three are sprawly sunbelt cities. Phoenix at least does it the best of the three. It's in the wide-open west. Outdoors activities are less intimidating due to the more tolerable dryness. Lot's of cool national parks nearby, and I'll take San Diego or Newport Beach over any beachfront community on the east coast hands-down. Phoenix itself, with 4+ million or whatever, is unlikely to bore me too quickly.
But that's my opinion, put 50¢ with it and you still can't buy a soda. Glad we all don't like the same things.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:51 PM

Here is a short video of the Beltline I took one day a few months ago,

Notice how many people out enjoyng the weather?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gz...ature=youtu.be

Here is a video of one of the many waterfalls less than 2 hr drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWQWrwD_E_c

Old 04-24-2020, 05:24 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Its a ridiculous point.Its both hot.No way you can convince me 110 is somehow cooler than 95 degrees with humidity in the 70s.Its just stupid to even argue there is such a big difference.
Why I made my point about trees provide a lot of releif from direct sun. In either city its just hot but no one is just standing or sitting in direct sun. Both can be umpleasant at high temnperatures but the aount of trees gives a lot of cover and cools things down considerably where the humidity is still high but the natural cover from the sun makes up for it inless of course there is no tree cover whereas in PHZ is not as likely.At least not naturally grown.
I can tell you that unless you are from an area thats as lush as Atlanta,you dont realize how lush it is and how much you will notice the absence of it in other cities. Even in South Florida where you have the heaches,its even more humid and the trees arent as tall or thick ,so unless you live near the beach its just hot and humid

When Im at my house in Atlanta during the summer ,I often sit under the trees in my backyard.

I know very well that you CAN drive two hours from Phoenix and it will be much cooler. But yeah, realistically, I'm not driving two hours that often just so I can have a cooler climate. You're still going to be in brutally hot Phoenix the 90+% of the time.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:04 PM

Beltltline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Gz...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-25-2020, 06:54 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,027 times
Quote:
Oh absolutely. I was amazed at how vibrant the Beltline was. It's definitely an example of urban renaissance in the U.S. Is it as vibrant as the magnificent Canadian urbanism of Vancouver or Toronto? Maybe not, but for a U.S. city it's pretty dang good. It's also incredible that all of these pedestrians are walking on a BIKE TRAIL, not even a fancy Fifth avenue style shopping street. The Beltline is simply hipsterdom at its best, a piece of Portland stuck in Georgia. Portland would kill to have a bike trail like the Beltline!

Old 04-25-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Oh absolutely. I was amazed at how vibrant the Beltline was. It's definitely an example of urban renaissance in the U.S. Is it as vibrant as the magnificent Canadian urbanism of Vancouver or Toronto? Maybe not, but for a U.S. city it's pretty dang good. It's also incredible that all of these pedestrians are walking on a BIKE TRAIL, not even a fancy Fifth avenue style shopping street. The Beltline is simply hipsterdom at its best, a piece of Portland stuck in Georgia. Portland would kill to have a bike trail like the Beltline!
Yes but relegating it to just a biking trail doesnt denote its real person in how and why ot was created
As its relatively new and still being built out you will see chunks of development alongside it in more places than others.
When completed, the BeltLine will be a network of public parks, multi-use trails and housing along 22-miles of historic railroad corridor connecting 45 neighborhoods around downtown Atlanta.

As we speak there are hotels,more retail,lots of multi family housing from apartments to mid rises to town homes.Its design is more to interact with the city residents making it easy to access most of the city by walking,biking or using it in addition to public transportation.
This is why when I mentioned the Beltline in an earlier post,a poster mentioned PHX Canals which is in theory at the present phase ,just something to utilize for mainly leisure and not to traverse the entire city lole the Beltline does.In fact,the Atlanta Streetcar will eventually be connected to it and run alongside it. Thats part of the plan from the beginning.

Here is one colossal current project being developed as we speak
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...beltlines.html

Last edited by CleverOne; 04-25-2020 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City