Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Other?
Phoenix 34 20.73%
Dallas 49 29.88%
Atlanta 66 40.24%
Other 15 9.15%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 05:46 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta's core is more urban than Phoenix's but its suburbs also have lower density. Phoenix adheres to the Western city model with a pretty consistent grid system even deep into suburbia which results in denser suburban sprawl compared to a city like Atlanta with its Piedmont city model of more winding, curving roads in the suburbs which, in some cases, follow the lay of the land and results in pretty low population densities (which is also true of other Piedmont urbanized areas like Charlotte and Greenville, SC).
This is all true.

BUT in the end, when we talk about urbanity, wouldn't most prefer Atlanta, because it at least as pockets of high density, TOD that Phoenix doesn't, even though Phoenix may have denser suburbs? Isn't it the pockets of urbanity that matter in your average American city over the average suburban density?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 05:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Its a ridiculous point.Its both hot.No way you can convince me 110 is somehow cooler than 95 degrees with humidity in the 70s.Its just stupid to even argue there is such a big difference.
Why I made my point about trees provide a lot of releif from direct sun. In either city its just hot but no one is just standing or sitting in direct sun. Both can be umpleasant at high temnperatures but the aount of trees gives a lot of cover and cools things down considerably where the humidity is still high but the natural cover from the sun makes up for it.
When Im at my house in Atlanta during the summer ,I often sit under the trees in my backyard.
And that's the difference. Atlanta's canopy actually creates a dual climate even in the hottest months. The amount of light and radiation diffused through the canopy of the forest makes it feel cooler than being fully exposed in areas lacking such canopy.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Im just making a point about humidity.You dont have heavy humidity in dry arid areas like you do in lush green areas but to answer your question it absolutely does make a difference if you are under shade than direst sunlight.
It gets in the 100's routinely in Phoenix and humidity or not,its still hot as hell. Just because dry heat makes it better but its still hot with litle shade.
Nobody just stands in the in direct sunlight in the hottest part of the day with no shelter unless tehy are sunbathing.

Do you think Phoenix doesn't have trees or shade? Yes, shade feels better because you've eliminated one factor of your body dealing with the heat. Reducing humidity is another great way to do that, your body really struggles with heat in humid environments, this is just science. When it's humid however the shade does not feel as good, I still sweat just sitting under a tree.

Another benefit of dry air is a larger diurnal change is much larger than humid air, so on a hot and dry 105 degree Phoenix day the low will still be in the 70s at night, making for perfect evenings and mornings outside when most of us have time off work to go hiking. Meaning while Atlanta has cooler air temperatures in the day our night time temperatures in June are nearly identical.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ph...6935?year=2019
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/at...8181?year=2019

Old 04-23-2020, 07:37 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
OK but I never claimed that Phoenix was on average as humid as Atlanta. I simply said that Phoenix on a humid day, with dew points in the 70s, rival Atlanta's average summer dew points. Even at my parent's house near Escondido (San Diego suburbs) I've seen temps in the mid to upper 90s with dew points in the low 70s.

Besides, people in Phoenix actually PREFER the monsoon to the bone dry heat because while it may feature higher dew points it does bring a lot of rain that cools things down. I don't know why people prefer a 95 degree, 72F dew point day in Atlanta (with a heat of 104F) over a 110F day in Phoenix that feels like 110F (and this is not factoring in the fact that the Phoenix sun is a lot more powerful). The heat index only factors in humidity but the forgotten factor is the intensity of sunlight.

I don't think so, everyone loves the rain but hates the humidity. July-September is quoted as the most miserable weather in Phoenix because "it doesn't even cool off at night" thanks in large part to that humid air that moves in from the gulf.

The heat index helps you understand how your body can deal with the current weather conditions. Your natural ability to cool yourself through an evaporative process decreased in humid conditions because your sweat no longer evaporates efficiently.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:50 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Poll results

The poll results are inaccurate. Yjis goes for most all polls on CD The reason is that there are far more posters on this forum who are from Atlanta than those who are from Phoenix. The same goes for Dallas.
For example if we poll 100 people of which 70 are from Atlanta and 30 are from Phoenix. How do you think the poll will turn out?

Old 04-23-2020, 09:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Do you think Phoenix doesn't have trees or shade? Yes, shade feels better because you've eliminated one factor of your body dealing with the heat. Reducing humidity is another great way to do that, your body really struggles with heat in humid environments, this is just science. When it's humid however the shade does not feel as good, I still sweat just sitting under a tree.

Another benefit of dry air is a larger diurnal change is much larger than humid air, so on a hot and dry 105 degree Phoenix day the low will still be in the 70s at night, making for perfect evenings and mornings outside when most of us have time off work to go hiking. Meaning while Atlanta has cooler air temperatures in the day our night time temperatures in June are nearly identical.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ph...6935?year=2019
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/at...8181?year=2019
I will agree that in the evenings is where you will feel the difference.
Its humid even at night in Atlanta but in the heat of the day,there simply isnt that big a differencen UNLESS you are in direct sunlight .
In PHX that is a lot more likely to happen with there being no real tree canopy in Atlanta. Especially in the suburbs where its more forested and less dense.

Yes of course PHX has trees!
Not like Atlanta on any level.Especially as it pertains to natural growth versus Phoenix more landscaped.PHX trees also dont provide nearly as much as the trees in Atlanta.
Live Oak .One of the different type of trees that grow in the South

Notice the streets how they are linew with trees in Atlanta?Atlanta has more trees than any other city in North America. Its something its known for .There are very strict laws against cutting trees down

Phoenix

Last edited by CleverOne; 04-23-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
The poll results are inaccurate. Yjis goes for most all polls on CD The reason is that there are far more posters on this forum who are from Atlanta than those who are from Phoenix. The same goes for Dallas.
For example if we poll 100 people of which 70 are from Atlanta and 30 are from Phoenix. How do you think the poll will turn out?
That must be why ,NYC,SF,Miami,LA etc always seen to win in these polls to I guess.

Atlanta looses in a LOT of polls.Mainly against more established cities that are more traditionally urban

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...vs-philly.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...s-atlanta.html

PHX looses in even more polls against other cities.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...vs-denver.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...fl-summer.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-deigo-ca.html

Last edited by CleverOne; 04-23-2020 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 10:04 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
That must be why ,NYC,SF,Miami,LA etc always seen to win in these polls to I guess.
Atlanta looses in a LOT of polls. This is so ridiculous .PHX looses in most poll that is about urban living.Period
It's a freaking poll.

Looking over the past couple of years, more people have voted with their feet for Dallas, then Phoenix, then Atlanta. Although, I would call all of these cities winners in the growth department.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:27 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Voting with their feet???

People are just going to places where they can comfortable have the necesities in life. Job, house, car, food etc. And still have enjoyment.
All of these places have attracted people this last decade.
Now, the other factor is the physical environment. Like Denver with its mountains or California which has it all. Dallas would rank dead last in that category. Phoenix would rank 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It's a freaking poll.

Looking over the past couple of years, more people have voted with their feet for Dallas, then Phoenix, then Atlanta. Although, I would call all of these cities winners in the growth department.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
And that's the difference. Atlanta's canopy actually creates a dual climate even in the hottest months. The amount of light and radiation diffused through the canopy of the forest makes it feel cooler than being fully exposed in areas lacking such canopy.
People who arent used to this dont understand this.Living in climates like both of these ,cites I know exactly how it feels day to day.
I would prefer Phonenix at night.The combination of humidty and bugs due to all the trees are a bit much at times. I stay stacked up on citronella candles .OFF and spraying my yard routinely.
In the city core I dont see bugs as a problem.Its in the suburbs where you need protection.

Last edited by CleverOne; 04-23-2020 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City