Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles is Closer in Stature to ___________ On the Global Stage
New York City 64 58.18%
Chicago 23 20.91%
More In the Middle 23 20.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 09:14 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL5RPnXyklk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1WRiRF9y0I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 04:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
Exactly. LA was a small town, while SF was a thriving bustling city. LA wasnt top 5 largest city in California not too long ago, so to see it explode in population is crazy. However I still feel like Chicago is more of a pier to LA than NYC because NYC has too rich of history and an urban intensity that's unrivaled and one of 2 US cities to have tracts over 100k ppsm (other being San Francisco). LA isnt a top 10 urban city in America and that hurts its image but it's a young city so it's only natural
Los Angeles had passed San Francisco in population by the 1920 census and was Top 5 city in the US by the 1930 census.

By the way, Chicago is a peer, not a "pier"...

Old 05-07-2020, 04:40 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Los Angeles had passed San Francisco in population by the 1920 census and was Top 5 city in the US by the 1930 census.

By the way, Chicago is a peer, not a "pier"...
I think his point still stands....L.A. was still a frontier town trying to figure out infrastructure while S.F. was a peer to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.

The real watershed year for L.A. was 1916, not 1920 though.

By that time water was connected, petroleum had been discovered, and motion pictures had achieved credibility as a major industry, which L.A. was the center of.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:37 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Middle. People are heavily swayed by media, but when you remove that from this discussion, it's clearly either middle or closer to Chicago. Most TV shows/movies are filmed in either NYC, or LA, but that doesn't mean both of these places are closer together overall. Chicago and LA actually share quite a bit in terms of being "boom" cities in the late 1800's an later, neither being a part of the original colony region.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
LA is closer to NYC than it is to Chicago.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:56 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
I actually think it's the opposite. LA is way overrated in this forum.

Sometimes you visit a place and immediately you get a "Wow" feeling, I felt in in NYC and even in Chicago but not in Los Angeles, not even close.

The only surprising thing I saw in LA was the thousands and thousands of homeless everywhere. Unless you think you can have a successful career in acting, I don't see a reason to ever consider moving there.
I heard someone say that the actual City of Los Angeles itself is meh, It's it's Metro Area and Surroundings that make the City Shine and give it all it's power

Old 05-10-2020, 05:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I heard someone say that the actual City of Los Angeles itself is meh, It's it's Metro Area and Surroundings that make the City Shine and give it all it's power
Total false imo. The city is what makes it great. The surroundings are special too. It all works for me but I do live in the city and love it.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:43 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Ha, I'd like to hear someone qualify that opinion, because the actual city of Los Angeles has more awesome areas than most places have in their entire metros. That just sounds like a statement from someone that didn't know much about the city...

Old 05-10-2020, 06:03 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Ha, I'd like to hear someone qualify that opinion, because the actual city of Los Angeles has more awesome areas than most places have in their entire metros. That just sounds like a statement from someone that didn't know much about the city...
To be fair West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Pasadena are pretty famous and different cities.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:15 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
To be fair West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Pasadena are pretty famous and different cities.
Sure, although I'd argue those areas are part of the contiguous urban fabric of LA, and most people don't know that they aren't technically in the jurisdictional limits of Los Angeles; they are LA. But sure...

Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, and Westwood are in the city itself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City