Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles is Closer in Stature to ___________ On the Global Stage
New York City 64 58.18%
Chicago 23 20.91%
More In the Middle 23 20.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 11:21 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Tokyo, NYC & LA are currently the only +$1 Trillion GDP's metro on the planet. So by GDP that Bay Area (SF-Oakland/San Jose) is the 4th largest economic region on the planet, so the region very much deserves it's positioning

That being said in terms of the overall global economic importance

NYC/London have no equals in terms of economic integration on the global scale.

~gap

Paris/Tokyo

~gap

(In no order)
LA
Seoul
Dubai
The Bay Area
HK
Singapore
Sydney
etc..
I always find it interesting, that San Jose (which has its own MSA), always has to be lumped in with San Francisco, to pull San Francisco to heights it may not attain without the addition of San Jose's numbers. How about we just let San Francisco be compared, without the addition of San Jose's MSA??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 11:26 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Here's an opinion, by those who are more well versed, than any of us. NYC stands alone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...oscow-russia-4
No they are not any more versed then we are, in fact we likely know more then they do.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I always find it interesting, that San Jose (which has its own MSA), always has to be lumped in with San Francisco, to pull San Francisco to heights it may not attain without the addition of San Jose's numbers.
Yes and that's life.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No they are not any more versed then we are, in fact we likely know more then they do.
And, sure, most of us think that, as well....

Old 05-05-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yes and that's life.
I get why you use CSA, rather than MSA, when posting, though, as San Francisco doesn't come in ahead of Chicago, when using MSA. Without the help of San Jose, San Fran isn't ranked as high. And, now, we know.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
And, sure, most of us think that, as well....
No they arent privy to secret data that gives them a leg up. They interpret data using their own formula just like the rest of us.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I get why you use CSA, rather than MSA.
Good. I only use that measure when it comes to city-level gdp comparison because that is the largest city level govt statistical area and gives a complete picture of an area.

Chicago has 300,000 more people than the Bay Area but has a GDP that is a whopping $325 billion smaller.

To hide that massive discrepency is unacceptable.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:23 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Here's an opinion, by those who are more well versed, than any of us. NYC stands alone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...oscow-russia-4
This doesn't mean much. We had a pretty good thread on here probably 4-5 years ago, if not longer, that dove into how we view our cities domestically versus how the rest of the world views us. One of the best threads we ever had on this board...

No doubt NY is well regarded and well known around the planet, but really only here at home do some of us feel as if NY has no peer and it stands alone. That isn't how the rest of the world views NY, particularly and especially when you take Western opinions totally out of it. I think everyone with interest in the subject agree it's on the short list of top cities on the planet, but there definitely isn't this idea that its peerless globally. I really wish I could remember the name of that thread...

And personally, while I take the consensus opinion as well that NY is our top city, I don't think its peerless here, either. To say LA is just "competitive" would be an understatement, especially when it comes to the subcategories that shape influence, reach, and importance domestically and beyond. LA is not quite at NY's stature but that has as much to do with age and legacy than anything else; LA is clearly a peer to NY in a number of areas...

Quote:
We don't agree on much but I agree with you here; their opinion is okay, its neither greater or lesser than most of the opinions tossed around here daily...

Old 05-05-2020, 12:39 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Yes and that's life.
L.A.-Long Beach is not a CSA, its a metro area. Not sure whats up with this chart.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:47 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
I always find it interesting, that San Jose (which has its own MSA), always has to be lumped in with San Francisco, to pull San Francisco to heights it may not attain without the addition of San Jose's numbers. How about we just let San Francisco be compared, without the addition of San Jose's MSA??
Because according to the conventional wisdom of this forum "you can't talk about San Francisco without also talking about its CSA", which is something like 12 counties. I haven't really figured out yet why no other metro is afforded this latitude, but I'm sure there's a good reason!

It couldn't just be that SF would get lumped to into peer group with Seattle, MSP, and perhaps even San Diego without adding a second, separate MSA.

Might have been interesting to see where Chicago would land if it was given Milwaukee, but apparently they don't warrant that kind of consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City