Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:46 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
I might also argue that white flight is negatively impacting St. Louis’ city proper population. Many families may be seeking to escape the malaise and stigma of the city for the suburbs. Same thing has been happening to Detroit, Cleveland, and other rust belt cities for decades.
True, although it's not just white fight that is changing these cities (add Chicago to the mix as well)-- black flight is now outpacing white flight.

MarketStreetEl-- correct in your assessment, but the Great Divorce was 1876, not 1871.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 10:24 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
I might also argue that white flight is negatively impacting St. Louis’ city proper population. Many families may be seeking to escape the malaise and stigma of the city for the suburbs. Same thing has been happening to Detroit, Cleveland, and other rust belt cities for decades.
White flight historically has been St. Louis’ biggest problem with population loss in terms of demographics, but recently that tide has shifted more towards black flight. Demographically St. Louis proper is currently becoming less black much in the same way that Chicago is becoming less black.

Additionally, in terms of socio economic and educational demographics, I’d say that St. Louis is further ahead of Detroit and Cleveland in that regard in terms of its “rebound.” St. Louis’ college education or higher level is currently higher than both Detroit’s and Cleveland’s and currently comparable to Chicago’s. The people moving back into the city have degrees and higher salaries, and that’s starting to show in the stats.

I’m not saying that this will be St. Louis’ saving grace or anything, because we all know that Chicago is still losing people as well, but it’s a stat that people seem to be surprised to hear since places like Detroit and Cleveland do a better job drumming up the comeback press than St. Louis.

The city really needs a better PR department.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:59 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
[St. Louis] really needs a better PR department.
That it does. What's your line of work, STLgasm? Or should I consider going back over to journalism's hired-gun cousin and find a St. Louis PR firm that will hire me?

Old 05-15-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That it does. What's your line of work, STLgasm? Or should I consider going back over to journalism's hired-gun cousin and find a St. Louis PR firm that will hire me?
Haha, I am the owner of a local culture/STL apparel shop on Cherokee Street. I'll leave it there!

Old 05-15-2020, 12:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Minneapolis is way too small for it to overtake Detroit.

Detroit feels way more like a small Chicago; and Minneapolis is basically a big Des Moines.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Detroit feels way more like a small Chicago; and Minneapolis is basically a big Des Moines.
??

Old 05-15-2020, 02:23 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

This thread is about metro areas, not just city propers.

BTW, Minneapolis metro has 3.7 Million people and is growing at a moderate pace, whie Detroit metro only has 4.2 million people and its growth is statistically stagnant.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:07 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
It’s probably not going to look dramatically different.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:41 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul
3. Detroit
4. St. Louis
5. Columbus
6. Kansas City
7. Cincinnati
8. Cleveland
9. Indianapolis
10. Milwaukee

This is a loose weighing of MSAs and CSAs and where they seem to be headed in terms of reputation, name recognition, and economic health. Not so much about personal preference as I think I'd like Milwaukee quite a bit.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-15-2020 at 04:56 PM..

Old 05-15-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
1. Chicago
2. Minneapolis/St. Paul
3. Detroit
4. St. Louis
5. Columbus
6. Kansas City
7. Cincinnati
8. Cleveland
9. Indianapolis
10. Milwaukee

This is a loose weighing of MSAs and CSAs and where they seem to be headed in terms of reputation, name recognition, and economic health. Not so much about personal preference as I think I'd like Milwaukee quite a bit.
I still consider Cleveland to be the dominant metro in OH. It looks and feels the biggest and most metropolitan of the 3 Cs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City