Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 03:53 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Spade, IDK know where have you been but NYC is still very important to the world than the rest of the cities in the U.S. As far a i now alot of people i met from different parts of the country and the world view NYC better than their respected cities. For example I have two friends, one from LA one from London, who live here now and say NYC is better. My friend from London told me he even moved here because he felt the schools were much better. Just because you dont hear about something doesnt make it less important or relevant. I started to believe my city was in a decline of prominence because i kept on hearing all these things being made elsewhere. Then i found out that alot of major and influential things were made in my own city that i thought would have been made in some other city. I forgot to mention I have a friend from Tokyo who says that NYC is better.

My post was to not degrade New York nor it's accomplishments nor it's status on the world's stage. It was to just to tone the NYC is the greatest and other cities pales in comparison and doesn't matter. That gets annoying after you see it time after time after time again and then acting like the other cities do not have anything going for it itself. Believe me, as a Texan, I get tired of Texans doing the same thing as well. I'm sure there are some New Yorkers that view London as better than New York. I'm sure there are Londoners that view London better than New York. I love Houston but view Chicago as a better city than Houston and some Chicagoans view Houston as a better city than Chicago. It comes down to preference. London is a huge influential city itself. Including Tokyo. Just saying New York doesn't have a monopoly on everything that is great in this world.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:06 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My post was to not degrade New York nor it's accomplishments nor it's status on the world's stage. It was to just to tone the NYC is the greatest and other cities pales in comparison and doesn't matter. That gets annoying after you see it time after time after time again and then acting like the other cities do not have anything going for it itself. Believe me, as a Texan, I get tired of Texans doing the same thing as well. I'm sure there are some New Yorkers that view London as better than New York. I'm sure there are Londoners that view London better than New York. I love Houston but view Chicago as a better city than Houston and some Chicagoans view Houston as a better city than Chicago. It comes down to preference. London is a huge influential city itself. Including Tokyo. Just saying New York doesn't have a monopoly on everything that is great in this world.

When did anyone deny londons greatness. I just think london is simply not as great as new york. Which i think is clear as day. Just one mans opinion

Old 06-21-2009, 12:26 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
seriously. i think nyc is the greatest city but you gotta admit london and paris are pretty damn impressive!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
I think your taking this a little bit too far.
LOL. Well I also agree with K.O.N.Y almost no city can be compared to NYC. NYC is the greatest city of the whole world. That is why many cities in city-data are compared to NYC in City Vs. City.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:13 PM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
I think you have to consider Tokyo's much lower residential population in the densest areas. I am nearly certain that Tokyo's busiest districts do actually have a higher density of people physically travelling through them than NYC's, although not living there.

Thats why the numbers are misleading, they represent residential population...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
Very true but Manhattan is denser than anything in Tokyo. It is just my personal opinion, but I am just not impressed by anything much less than the hyper-dense central city cores. People go on and on about how Tokyo maintains a relatively high density for long distances...YMMV, but maintaining Brooklyn-level densities for a great distance outside of central Tokyo just don't impress me regardless of how much neon. They are all still just the 'burbs and residential areas.

Arguably one of the great things about NYC is the sheer variety of living styles right in the city... You want a prototypical hyper dense urban concrete jungle ?There's Manhattan.. Want a more suburban style living with houses?-- Staten Island or Queens might be more your cup of tea..etc. Want something in between? Try the other 2 boroughs. That said, Tokyo is a cool place to live in if you know Japanese.

Last edited by irishimm; 06-21-2009 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 02:15 PM

315 posts, read 666,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
I think you have to consider Tokyo's much lower residential population in the densest areas. I am nearly certain that Tokyo's busiest districts do actually have a higher density of people physically travelling through them than NYC's, although not living there.
You are right that Tokyo's busiest districts have a higher density of people walking through them than through NYC's (the 5 boroughs), but not so if you compare Tokyo's busiest with NYC's busiest (Manhattan).

As I alluded to before, Tokyo's densest wards are not only less dense than Manhattan, but also Tokyo's central business wards have a smaller overall total population and density than Manhattan (which includes people that live there AND commuters/workers).

Tokyo's central business wards are Chiyoda, Chuo, Minoda, and Shinjuku, an area about equal to the size of Manhattan Island. Tokyo's 4 central wards have a total population density of 534.8 persons per hectare(442.6+91.8).
Manhattan's density is even higher at 590.4 persons per hectare(250.4+340.4). These numbers represent the total daytime working population densities plus night-time population densities.

See Figure 2-1-6.
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Environmental White Paper 2006 (http://www2.kankyo.metro.tokyo.jp/kouhou/env/eng_2006/chapter2.html - broken link)

That said, the 4 central business wards of Tokyo do have somewhat more workers/commuters traveling into them than Manhattan (i.e daytime "working" population density of 442.6 vs. 340.4 persons per hectare), however, Manhattan's much higher night-time population (i.e. residential population density of 250.4 vs. 91.8) is more than enough to put it on top over Tokyo's densest areas.

This is just one study but others point to the same result.

One other thing.. This doesn't even include the substantial illegal immigrant component that is a big problem in NYC and is nearly non-existent in Tokyo
You include that, and the density difference between central Tokyo and Manhattan is even greater still.

Last edited by Lancer78; 06-21-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 07-23-2009, 03:51 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
You are right that Tokyo's busiest districts have a higher density of people walking through them than through NYC's (the 5 boroughs), but not so if you compare Tokyo's busiest with NYC's busiest (Manhattan).

As I alluded to before, Tokyo's densest wards are not only less dense than Manhattan, but also Tokyo's central business wards have a smaller overall total population and density than Manhattan (which includes people that live there AND commuters/workers).

Tokyo's central business wards are Chiyoda, Chuo, Minoda, and Shinjuku, an area about equal to the size of Manhattan Island. Tokyo's 4 central wards have a total population density of 534.8 persons per hectare(442.6+91.8).
Manhattan's density is even higher at 590.4 persons per hectare(250.4+340.4). These numbers represent the total daytime working population densities plus night-time population densities.

See Figure 2-1-6.
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Environmental White Paper 2006 (http://www2.kankyo.metro.tokyo.jp/kouhou/env/eng_2006/chapter2.html - broken link)

That said, the 4 central business wards of Tokyo do have somewhat more workers/commuters traveling into them than Manhattan (i.e daytime "working" population density of 442.6 vs. 340.4 persons per hectare), however, Manhattan's much higher night-time population (i.e. residential population density of 250.4 vs. 91.8) is more than enough to put it on top over Tokyo's densest areas.

This is just one study but others point to the same result.

One other thing.. This doesn't even include the substantial illegal immigrant component that is a big problem in NYC and is nearly non-existent in Tokyo
You include that, and the density difference between central Tokyo and Manhattan is even greater still.
I'm not disagreeing with your main point, but I'll add that Tokyo did seem to have areas with a large number of southeast Asians and other immigrants whose immigration status might be in question.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:32 PM

358 posts, read 755,222 times
Both are great, but I find Tokyo more stimulating on the streets and to the eye, ie, people, crowds, subways, highrises, neon, street food, fashion (Harajuku)

Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,273 times
Tokyo clearly is denser pedestrian wise

YouTube - Tokyo Crosswalk Shibuya

Old 07-23-2009, 05:38 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Well, Lancer's stats are credible, so there might be something else at play here. There might actually be something about traffic patterns and street layout that makes Tokyo feel so incredibly dense.

Before Lance brought up his stats, I was almost completely sure that Tokyo had to have the denser regions as I've never swam in a sea of people (on a regular working day without any special event) in NYC the way I did in Tokyo. However, it's clear from the stats that the densest wards in Tokyo are less dense than those in Manhattan. Question is, what accounts for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City