Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 12:00 AM

99 posts, read 116,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Atlanta is overwhelmingly segregated: predominantly white in the hillier North, predominantly black in the flatter South. It just barely recovered from the 2008 recession. Growth is stagnant/slow--not Texas level prosperity. Definitely ingredients for a race war!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Atlanta is overwhelmingly segregated: predominantly white in the hillier North, predominantly black in the flatter South. It just barely recovered from the 2008 recession. Growth is stagnant/slow--not Texas level prosperity. Definitely ingredients for a race war!
Atlanta took longer to recover from the recession, but not "just barely." It has been consistently tops for job growth in America for the past four or five years and has been pretty strong on that front. To say that growth is stagnant/slow is just a flat-out lie not supported by the evidence.

Sorry to disappoint you Dylan Roof, but you won't be getting the race war in Atlanta that you probably have wet dreams about.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:41 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
This is absolutely preposterous, and basically a big lie. Sounds like you haven't been here in 20 years, if ever.

Last edited by JMatl; 06-17-2020 at 02:55 AM..

Old 06-17-2020, 02:54 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wouldn't say the racial dynamic in Atlanta is bad but I certainly wouldnt characterize it as among the best in the country either. There is friction present but it's quite different than in most other cities as it occurs when the urban Black power structure in the city clashes with the GOP power structure in state government and, to a lesser degree, in the suburbs--usually in high-profile ways. Atlanta's issues at the moment demonstrate that the racialized aspect of police brutality includes instances when both law enforcement and civilians are Black and that it involves other factors such as class.
I agree with most of this, but there's a comfort level here particularly with black-white relations that I don't find in a lot of places. Pre-virus I was all over the country regularly, and I just didn't see it. This is coming from a white perspective though, maybe I'm missing some nuances. I'm a friendly, outgoing guy that gets along with almost everyone - maybe I'm being too optimistic?

Old 06-17-2020, 05:56 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I wouldn't say the racial dynamic in Atlanta is bad but I certainly wouldnt characterize it as among the best in the country either. There is friction present but it's quite different than in most other cities as it occurs when the urban Black power structure in the city clashes with the GOP power structure in state government and, to a lesser degree, in the suburbs--usually in high-profile ways. Atlanta's issues at the moment demonstrate that the racialized aspect of police brutality includes instances when both law enforcement and civilians are Black and that it involves other factors such as class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I agree with most of this, but there's a comfort level here particularly with black-white relations that I don't find in a lot of places. Pre-virus I was all over the country regularly, and I just didn't see it. This is coming from a white perspective though, maybe I'm missing some nuances. I'm a friendly, outgoing guy that gets along with almost everyone - maybe I'm being too optimistic?

In which areas of the country is the racial dynamic best or among the best?

Old 06-17-2020, 06:51 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Atlanta has a lot more going for it than St Louis. I can't do a comparison with Baltimore because I don't know it and Baltimore is very close to DC.

St. Louis has a lot more going for it than many understand especially with quality of life issues. I would choose St. Louis any day over Atlanta as I have in the past. It has given me a better life than what Atlanta had to offer at the time I had the option to move there. At the same time I can see that Atlanta is a lot larger than STL and it should be on a different level. I don't think its better. Race relations do not seem all that great there but that is something that a visitor like me wouldn't be able to answer. I do know every city has racial issues. Local culture determines how its exposed.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:57 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
No, it's a sunbelt city with too much going for it. And the Rayshard case wasn't as clear cut as the George Floyd case

Old 06-17-2020, 08:33 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I think the "Atlanta Way" provided a blueprint for cooperation among leaders across racial lines which wasn't as common back in the day. And because of the especially large Black middle class there, it's *much* less likely for Black folks in affluent neighborhoods that aren't predominantly Black to be perceived as "interlopers" and what not. I think race relations are probably best in middle-/upper middle-class neighborhoods south of I-20. My uncle lives in a diverse affluent neighborhood in Jonesboro and has remarked how friendly his neighbors are and how they look out for each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
In which areas of the country is the racial dynamic best or among the best?
That's a tough one honestly and I'm not sure it can drilled down to regions at large. But my inclination would be diverse middle/upper middle-class suburban and exurban-ish areas do somewhat better than average. Some college towns and small/midsized military towns work also.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:50 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Similar to the thread about Minneapolis after the George Floyd incident, how about Atlanta after the Rayshard Brooks incident? Also not in Atlanta but in Georgia recently we had the Ahmaud Aubrey incident, so Georgia's been in hot water lately. Do you think it's possible and likely for Atlanta to undo about 15-20 years of progress?
I was gonna say, eerily similar title to mine lol. I kinda wished later on that I could've changed the title a bit. It's seemed a bit harsh on Baltimore and St Louis (Ferguson)

Old 06-17-2020, 09:53 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Atlanta has a lot more going for it than St Louis. I can't do a comparison with Baltimore because I don't know it and Baltimore is very close to DC.

St. Louis has a lot more going for it than many understand especially with quality of life issues. I would choose St. Louis any day over Atlanta as I have in the past. It has given me a better life than what Atlanta had to offer at the time I had the option to move there. At the same time I can see that Atlanta is a lot larger than STL and it should be on a different level. I don't think its better. Race relations do not seem all that great there but that is something that a visitor like me wouldn't be able to answer. I do know every city has racial issues. Local culture determines how its exposed.
That's Baltimore's saving grace, being close to our nation's capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City