Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 09:55 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times

Advertisements

I mean, didn't every city have big riots during these protests? The looting and fires were in multiple cities. I'm more keen to say city proper growth might slow down nationwide after these protests, but like Minneapolis, Atlanta is not going the way of St. Louis and Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 10:52 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
No, it's a sunbelt city with too much going for it. And the Rayshard case wasn't as clear cut as the George Floyd case
And George Floyd's death is still at the forefront of the current movement and the attention will continue up to the trial and afterwards.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:40 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

That's a tough one honestly and I'm not sure it can drilled down to regions at large. But my inclination would be diverse middle/upper middle-class suburban and exurban-ish areas do somewhat better than average.

Well, Metro Atlanta has a lot areas like this:

North Fayette
Fayetteville
Smyrna-Mableton
Lower West Cobb
Most of Gwinnett County
Forest Park
Jonesboro
Lake Spivey
North Henry
West Henry
etc., etc...

To reframe the question: In which large metro areas of the country is the racial dynamic best or among the best, if not Metro Atlanta?

Old 06-17-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I mean, didn't every city have big riots during these protests? The looting and fires were in multiple cities...

True.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Well, Metro Atlanta has a lot areas like this:

North Fayette
Fayetteville
Smyrna-Mableton
Lower West Cobb
Most of Gwinnett County
Forest Park
Jonesboro
Lake Spivey
North Henry
West Henry
etc., etc...

To reframe the question: In which large metro areas of the country is the racial dynamic best or among the best, if not Metro Atlanta?
I suppose the only thing that could be used as a standard is the absence of racist/racially-tinged incidents, which is a sad thing in and of itself. We know the residents of many of those areas weren't all that comfortable with the demographic shifts that happened there in the past and they made that known. Honestly I find it hard to classify parts of metro Atlanta here since in racial terms, it is those clashes and political skirmishes I spoke of earlier that tend to characterize the area and strictly speaking, they wouldn't be examples of race relations on an interpersonal level although they can certainly affect those types of relations.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:35 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Similar to the thread about Minneapolis after the George Floyd incident, how about Atlanta after the Rayshard Brooks incident? Also not in Atlanta but in Georgia recently we had the Ahmaud Aubrey incident, so Georgia's been in hot water lately. Do you think it's possible and likely for Atlanta to undo about 15-20 years of progress?
Yes.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Yes.
Please explain why you think so.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Please explain why you think so.
Just pick any stock response from the MAGA echo chamber. It might even include both praise for 45's police reform executive order AND a proclamation that "Blue Lives Matter." Not sure how they can manage to square that circle but it sure is fascinating to watch.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Just pick any stock response from the MAGA echo chamber. It might even include both praise for 45's police reform executive order AND a proclamation that "Blue Lives Matter." Not sure how they can manage to square that circle but it sure is fascinating to watch.
Yep. Check out the posting history for confirmation.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I suppose the only thing that could be used as a standard is the absence of racist/racially-tinged incidents, which is a sad thing in and of itself. We know the residents of many of those areas weren't all that comfortable with the demographic shifts that happened there in the past and they made that known. Honestly I find it hard to classify parts of metro Atlanta here since in racial terms, it is those clashes and political skirmishes I spoke of earlier that tend to characterize the area and strictly speaking, they wouldn't be examples of race relations on an interpersonal level although they can certainly affect those types of relations.

You mentioned in an earlier post about racial dynamic. The suburbs I listed above are definitely up for interpretation.

What I am really asking is: In your opinion, which large metro areas in the country is the racial dynamic the best or among the best, if not Atlanta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City