Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anchorage vs. Boise vs. Portland vs. Seattle ~70k income
Anchorage, AK 6 11.76%
Boise, ID 20 39.22%
Portland, OR 9 17.65%
Seattle, WA 16 31.37%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 08:19 AM

11,784 posts, read 7,995,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Seattle has Mt Rainier, which would give plenty of warning before eruption and largely affect only immediate areas
Boise has Yellowstone-like Supervolcanoes
Yea but if Yellowstone goes off its going to take Boise, Seattle and the rest of the country with it. The destruction from Rainier is largely avoidable, Yellowstone isn't by unspeakable margins...Also St.Helen gave warnings for aproximately 2 months prior to popping its top, it hardly saved anyone though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 08:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Boise, hands down. Not even close. Nice, pretty metro without the crap of larger metros. You get the best bang for your buck, by far.

Anchorage is too isolated, pretty expensive, brutal winters, horrible light/dark cycles.

Portland/Seattle - Too drizzly/depressing, very expensive, not friendly, socially/politically extreme. Very low QOL right now.
This. Wouldn’t consider Portland or Seattle at all.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:43 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yea but if Yellowstone goes off its going to take Boise, Seattle and the rest of the country with it. The destruction from Rainier is largely avoidable, Yellowstone isn't by unspeakable margins...Also St.Helen gave warnings for aproximately 2 months prior to popping its top, it hardly saved anyone though.
That's not based on science.

Mt Rainier would not impact Seattle proper at all, only maybe the exurbs in Pierce County. The lesson is don't live on known lahar paths.

Supervolcanoes are most destructive within a 200mi radius from the high heat ash that travel horizontally along the ground. Take a look at welded tuffs. Seattle might see some ash fall and darkened skies from a Yellowstone eruption, but that's not the end of the world.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
That's not based on science.

Mt Rainier would not impact Seattle proper at all, only maybe the exurbs in Pierce County. The lesson is don't live on known lahar paths.

Supervolcanoes are most destructive within a 200mi radius from the high heat ash that travel horizontally along the ground. Take a look at welded tuffs. Seattle might see some ash fall and darkened skies from a Yellowstone eruption, but that's not the end of the world.
The ash fall goes way beyond 200 miles. That was roughly the circumference of St.Helen’e ashfall. Where are you getting that? Everything within the Pacific, Midwest/Southwest, and large portions of the East would be covered in air that would literally solidify your lungs if you attempted to breathe.

Historically by science Super Valcanoes are known to be global extinction devices for multiple species.

And you further proved my point, unless you want to live by a Volcano, you aren’t living in Seattle @ $70k, because you definitely aren’t going to be in Seattle proper at that salary.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-23-2020 at 09:16 AM..

Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
Anchorage. Despite the city's issues it's still better than many of the major cities mainland. Being isolated is a huge benefit. And while COL is high there's no state income tax so 70K will get me by and I'll still be able to pay off my student loans faster than now.

Boise is a close 2nd but I prefer northern Idaho. While not cheap it's likely better than Boise and I'll manage on 70K.

Seattle and Portland are both dumpster fires but I'd choose Seattle over Portland for the 0% income tax alone.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:00 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
For a dumpster fire, Seattle sure is booming. Apartments break ground constantly, Amazon keeps starting towers (in Bellevue these days)...

You can do Seattle on 70k easily as a single person, assuming no debt. The equation would be one of three options, all very common:
1. Live in a small apartment in the urban core, with no car.
2. Live in a bigger unit in the suburbs, with a car.
3. Live anywhere and have a car but also a roommate.

Life is much, much easier if you skip the car here. Transit is decent, and living in the core might mean you don't even use that much.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
For a dumpster fire, Seattle sure is booming. Apartments break ground constantly, Amazon keeps starting towers (in Bellevue these days)...

You can do Seattle on 70k easily as a single person, assuming no debt. The equation would be one of three options, all very common:

Life is much, much easier if you skip the car here. Transit is decent, and living in the core might mean you don't even use that much.
Yes, thats if you want to be a renter for the rest of your life with no chance of retirement, most people don't. $70k to be a renter with no hope in home ownership is a bit ridiculous IMO. There's 0 appeal to living in an apartment in the suburbs. In the urban core I can understand it due to the vibe, but suburban apartments are more - I'm crashing here until I have the means to buy a house. I mean, I love Seattle, its very beautiful, but I wouldnt attempt it at $70k.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:01 PM

229 posts, read 217,286 times
Love Boise but it’s becoming expensive in its own right, nothing like the PNW cities, but the demand will keep going up, if you bought now it could be a good investment there.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:59 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Hell, I live alone, in a pretty walkable neighborhood in the city (Greenwood), and have a car I'm still paying off, and I make under 70k. My compromise was that my apartment is pretty small (not a microstudio but close). The city can be a reasonable option if you don't need a glamorous lifestyle right now and expect to increase your earnings in the future.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:26 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The ash fall goes way beyond 200 miles. That was roughly the circumference of St.Helen’e ashfall. Where are you getting that? Everything within the Pacific, Midwest/Southwest, and large portions of the East would be covered in air that would literally solidify your lungs if you attempted to breathe.
There's regular ashfall and there's welded tuff creating ashfall which has about 200 mi range and disregards jetstreams. The latter is not survivable.

If you live in the city of Seattle, neither Mount Rainier nor Yellowstone should concern you much (assuming the Yellowstone one isn't apocalyptic in regards to the food chain, in which case it is what it is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City