Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anchorage vs. Boise vs. Portland vs. Seattle ~70k income
Anchorage, AK 6 11.76%
Boise, ID 20 39.22%
Portland, OR 9 17.65%
Seattle, WA 16 31.37%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 05:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times

Advertisements

Decided to make a new thread on something I haven't seen before for fun. If you could live in any of these locations, which one would you pick and why? Assume the exact same gross income of 70k for all four locations.

Use the following criteria:
- Income post-taxes (would be interesting to see how this plays out)
- Walkability/public transit (or for those that don't really have it yet, a population that is interested and working towards it)
- Urban amenities (fun bars, etc.)
- Access to nature
- COL
- Cheap/easy traveling within country (or in Alaska, going to other parts of Alaska)
- Politics
- Weather/climate
- Any other criteria you feel is important

Now, think of your answer based off of a 70k income. Does your answer change if it's increased to a 100k income, and if yes, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 08:38 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Boise, hands down. Not even close. Nice, pretty metro without the crap of larger metros. You get the best bang for your buck, by far.

Anchorage is too isolated, pretty expensive, brutal winters, horrible light/dark cycles.

Portland/Seattle - Too drizzly/depressing, very expensive, not friendly, socially/politically extreme. Very low QOL right now.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:59 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Decided to make a new thread on something I haven't seen before for fun. If you could live in any of these locations, which one would you pick and why? Assume the exact same gross income of 70k for all four locations.

- Walkability/public transit (or for those that don't really have it yet, a population that is interested and working towards it)
- Access to nature
- COL
- Cheap/easy traveling within country (or in Alaska, going to other parts of Alaska)
- Politics
- Weather/climate

Now, think of your answer based off of a 70k income. Does your answer change if it's increased to a 100k income, and if yes, why?
Is this assuming a pre-Covid world, the current situation including uncertainty about what the future holds, or a post-Covid world that magically isn’t so different from a pre-Covid world?

That would significantly change my answer.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Is this assuming a pre-Covid world, the current situation including uncertainty about what the future holds, or a post-Covid world that magically isn’t so different from a pre-Covid world?

That would significantly change my answer.
Assume a current covid world, with the belief that covid will be over at some point (and it will be in the sense things will cool down, but that this will probably be a seasonal epidemic like the flu).

But for fun, why not list both? Current covid situation and post covid?

Old 08-10-2020, 11:30 AM

I'm surprised Seattle is in the lead, I thought the pay would deter people from picking that one.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:15 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Assume a current covid world, with the belief that covid will be over at some point (and it will be in the sense things will cool down, but that this will probably be a seasonal epidemic like the flu).

But for fun, why not list both? Current covid situation and post covid?
The thing is Seattle and Portland offer urban amenities that are on another level compared to the other two, and accordingly they are significantly more expensive. However, with Covid it's really hard to utilize those amenities. Most restaurants and bars are only open for takeout and a lot may need to permanently shut down. The situation with museums, sporting events, etc. all remains pretty shakey.

I'm not saying any of that is a deal-breaker, but it should be a significant consideration. Boise is much cheaper and has just as much access to nature/outdoor activities as Seattle and Portland. So I guess with Covid Boise becomes a more attractive option, especially considering the 70K per year alternative. I'd still prefer Portland or Seattle overall but Covid makes Boise a more viable candidate to me. Anchorage is too isolated and doesn't offer anywhere near enough for how isolated it is. Great place to visit though.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 21,035 times
Quote:

- Access to nature
- COL
- Politics
- Weather/climate

1. Income Post Taxes: Of the four, Seattle is the one where you can find the highest number of well paying jobs.
2. Walkability: Portland has the best public transit, train system, bikability and walkability of the four.
3. Urban Amenities: Seattle is by far the biggest, so it will have the highest number.
4. Access to nature: Seattle and Portland have a mix of climates, Forests, mountains, deserts, lakes, beaches etc. There are all accessible year round. Anchorage and Boise have their charms, but not the variety of outdoor experiences.
5. COL: Boise takes this in terms of lower COL. Anchorage is in second, but it's expensive to ship to alaska, and heating costs must be astronomical.
6. Cheap easy traveling within the country. Seattle is the largest city, so it will have the largest airport that leads to the most destinations. Anchorage is isolated because those winters are brutal on the road systems.
7.Politics: Portland if you are very left wing, Boise if you are right wing. Seattle and Anchorage are somewhere in the middle. Seattle leans toward portland while Anchorage leans toward Boise.
8.Weather/Climate: Seattle/Portland take it for me. People constantly harp on the constant drizzle in the PNW for 6 months of the year, but that has a benefit. It moderates the temperature, and keeps things green and lush for most of the year. Unlike in Boise, which is sunnier, but is also significantly drier year round and way hotter summers, making the landscape seem brown. Also boise will get much more snow. Anchorage is mild by Alaska standards, but by the lower 48 standards it's super cold. Anchorage will arguably be at winter temps for 6-7 months out of the year which is no fun. It will start snowing in october and won't melt until around the following may. I can deal with rain much better than snow.

For 70K? Portland, for 100k? Seattle. They are very similar, but Seattle is a little bit more cosmopolitan.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpowers View Post
1. Income Post Taxes: Of the four, Seattle is the one where you can find the highest number of well paying jobs.
2. Walkability: Portland has the best public transit, train system, bikability and walkability of the four.
3. Urban Amenities: Seattle is by far the biggest, so it will have the highest number.
4. Access to nature: Seattle and Portland have a mix of climates, Forests, mountains, deserts, lakes, beaches etc. There are all accessible year round. Anchorage and Boise have their charms, but not the variety of outdoor experiences.
5. COL: Boise takes this in terms of lower COL. Anchorage is in second, but it's expensive to ship to alaska, and heating costs must be astronomical.
6. Cheap easy traveling within the country. Seattle is the largest city, so it will have the largest airport that leads to the most destinations. Anchorage is isolated because those winters are brutal on the road systems.
7.Politics: Portland if you are very left wing, Boise if you are right wing. Seattle and Anchorage are somewhere in the middle. Seattle leans toward portland while Anchorage leans toward Boise.
8.Weather/Climate: Seattle/Portland take it for me. People constantly harp on the constant drizzle in the PNW for 6 months of the year, but that has a benefit. It moderates the temperature, and keeps things green and lush for most of the year. Unlike in Boise, which is sunnier, but is also significantly drier year round and way hotter summers, making the landscape seem brown. Also boise will get much more snow. Anchorage is mild by Alaska standards, but by the lower 48 standards it's super cold. Anchorage will arguably be at winter temps for 6-7 months out of the year which is no fun. It will start snowing in october and won't melt until around the following may. I can deal with rain much better than snow.

For 70K? Portland, for 100k? Seattle. They are very similar, but Seattle is a little bit more cosmopolitan.
Boise city limits are actually left wing, it's a liberal city ran by Democrats and most precincts are Dem. It falls under the description of a blue city in a red state. The greater metro area is of course to the right, but there are hints of purple beginning to color the suburbs/Meridian.

Boise also has easy access to forests, deserts, canyonlands, lakes, the best whitewater on the continent as well as being at the base of where two ecosystems converge. The evergreen forests, visible from the city and valley, begin on the mountains above Boise and extend all of the way into Canada. The largest alpine wilderness (roadless) areas in the Lower 48 are just north of Boise extending into Central Idaho. It's an outdoor lovers paradise, minus the ocean of course.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 08-10-2020 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-10-2020, 04:55 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Probably Seattle where I am now, or Portland if it was a pre/post-COVID world and I was trying to get laid (the salary would make me stand out a little more and get me into a nicer apartment).

I've lived in a sub-1-million metro, never again.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Boise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City