Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 12:47 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,737 times

Advertisements

New York City represent.

Anywho DC and Chicago are my second and third favorite cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 12:49 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Everything across the board: number of Fortune 500 companies, diversity, education, size, culture, theaters, museums, transportation, urban cores, stature, history and etc. Resonance determines if some of your selected cities are great and is the best and most accurate list of best cities you'll ever get.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:22 AM

10 posts, read 6,965 times
Wow how did Philly fall to 20? That’s a bit insane. Why is it when these lists come out, I feel as if the same group of people do the voting despite the different magazines. Philly is literally ranked in the Raleigh/Portland area whereas Boston, San Jose, Orlando, Las Vegas, and Phoenix are all higher? I get that this is all an opinion but I am with my philly brothers on this. There is definitely a biased against Philly (despite it easily being a top 10 American city) in the media and that’s coming from someone who was born and raised in Los Angeles.

I love that city and many people I know who’ve been to that city love it as well.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:24 AM

10 posts, read 6,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Everything across the board: number of Fortune 500 companies, diversity, education, size, culture, theaters, museums, transportation, urban cores, stature, history and etc. Resonance determines if some of your selected cities are great and is the best and most accurate list of best cities you'll ever get.
And the city of Philadelphia ranks 20th according to them. Look at what you wrote in regards to how these cities are ranked and let that sink in that Philly is 20th..

Old 08-10-2020, 05:05 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Omaha clocking in at the #36 ranking is impressive.

Most of the time, it’s overlooked and minimized on this discussion forum. But the reality is, Omaha compares VERY favorably within it’s 1 million population peer metros..and can duke it out and hold its own with those MSA’s even larger.
Omaha is indeed one of those sleeper cities many overlook. But I'll admit I was surprised to see it rank 10 place above its bigger near neighbor downriver, Kansas City.

But maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised, for if KC punches above its weight, Omaha punches well above it. But does Warren Buffett really skew the income stats that much?

Frankly, I can't say I wasn't dismayed to see Philadelphia rank 20th, but I actually think that Resonance's methodology was pretty solid, though there are some metrics I'd quibble with, especially the digital-social-media-heavy Promotion category (but social media has upset the applecart in so many ways, don'tcha know?) and the choice of national U.S. News ranking of the metro's top university as a contributor to the Product category (though this one works to Philly's benefit thanks to the presence of top-10 Penn here). (Not that a top-ranked university isn't a contributor to a metropolitan region's infrastructure — it most definitely is — but more that I have my issues with the U.S. News rankings.) I did like the fact that under "Prosperity," they included the Gini index of income inequality for the metro — and noted that San Francisco ranked near the bottom here.

Overall, I'd say that this is one of the better reports of its type, and the consultancy was able to find positive attributes to highlight for every one of the 100 U.S. cities listed in it, even #100 Dayton, Ohio, which hasn't been on much of a streak lately.

It would be highly amusing if Visit Philly hired Resonance for advice on strengthening its post-COVID tourism promotion efforts.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:13 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
I also went roaming around Resonance's website to see what might lend credence to their efforts.

I will say that for starters, they hired a great Web design team, so there's that. (And if they did that in-house, even more impressive.)

They had a pretty decent list of clients too.

But I did see something in their "Press" section, where they have clips of articles where they provided the research muscle for, that I found curious, and I think that may also reveal a certain slant or bias to their work.

It was in a National Geographic artlcle on the best neighborhoods in U.S. cities.

There were 28 of these in all, and most of them were worthy of the honor, I'd say. Not to mention that they included distinctive communities in cities both larger and smaller, celebrated and overlooked.

But what was the Las Vegas Strip doing on this list?

Sure, it's a visitor magnet, but it hardly qualifies as a "neighborhood" in my book. It's not really set up as a place to live in.

This leads me to wonder whether they're not focused on a city's appeal to visitors more than to potential residents or corporate citizens.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:48 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Just curious how Boston, Seattle and SF who rank the highest in quality of services, quality of life and HDI are outranked on this list by LA NY Chicago and Las Vegas?

Old 08-10-2020, 09:57 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I also went roaming around Resonance's website to see what might lend credence to their efforts.

I will say that for starters, they hired a great Web design team, so there's that. (And if they did that in-house, even more impressive.)

They had a pretty decent list of clients too.

But I did see something in their "Press" section, where they have clips of articles where they provided the research muscle for, that I found curious, and I think that may also reveal a certain slant or bias to their work.

It was in a National Geographic artlcle on the best neighborhoods in U.S. cities.

There were 28 of these in all, and most of them were worthy of the honor, I'd say. Not to mention that they included distinctive communities in cities both larger and smaller, celebrated and overlooked.

But what was the Las Vegas Strip doing on this list?

Sure, it's a visitor magnet, but it hardly qualifies as a "neighborhood" in my book. It's not really set up as a place to live in.

This leads me to wonder whether they're not focused on a city's appeal to visitors more than to potential residents or corporate citizens.
No, basically everything across the board, not just visitors/tourism alone. The whole appeal of the whole package of the city. Most comprehensive and thoughtful report of cities and its quality overrall.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:09 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Interesting list of cities. Ofcourse I dont agree. I enjoyed Las Vegas during my 6 months working there. I would not give it a top 10 rating. As I've always stated, you have to go by what the individual person likes. So yes people are going to disagree and debate these topics.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:15 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Interesting list of cities. Ofcourse I dont agree. I enjoyed Las Vegas during my 6 months working there. I would not give it a top 10 rating. As I've always stated, you have to go by what the individual person likes. So yes people are going to disagree and debate these topics.
Agreed. All lists are subjective and open to interpretation and debate. Whatever their methodology is in this list it seems to divert from conventional rankings seen in many other lists, but again that's why we debate. You can pretty much trace the posting of any list on these boards back to whatever city the OP is from- pretty much a guarantee their city is performing well in it.

When it comes to lists, the only rule that everyone seems to agree on is that WalletHub lists are absolutely worthless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City