Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 10:30 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
When it comes to lists, the only rule that everyone seems to agree on is that WalletHub lists are absolutely worthless
Absolutely, positively, without a doubt, 100% true. And beyond debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 10:52 AM

4,378 posts, read 4,617,273 times
I wonder if those who are co-signing the list based off the top 10 agree with the rest of the list? Houston is 11 and Atlanta is 12. But according to C-D, Atlanta is wayyyy too overhyped by homers and Houston is meh. Yet this list claims otherwise lmao

Old 08-10-2020, 09:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
This thread exists only because the topper saw San Jose in the top 10. That's all.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:44 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
This thread exists only because the topper saw San Jose in the top 10. That's all.
No, very unbiased posting; Resonance doesn't do this for SJ.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:22 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Correct.

Old 08-11-2020, 03:22 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
No, very unbiased posting; Resonance doesn't do this for SJ.
True, but if you hadn't seen SJ in the top ten, you probably wouldn't have posted about this study.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:56 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I wonder if those who are co-signing the list based off the top 10 agree with the rest of the list? Houston is 11 and Atlanta is 12. But according to C-D, Atlanta is wayyyy too overhyped by homers and Houston is meh. Yet this list claims otherwise lmao
In the real world, Sunbelt cities are valued over the dense walkable cores. People irl arent data nerds like us. Therefore, cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Phoenix are loved by many in the real world. Where this website just supports cities based on population. (ie, NY #1, LA #2, Chicago #3, etc... idek I dont get the hype/boosting for certain cities)

But I would not take CityData heavily at all. By no means is it an accurate representation of what cities and regions people prefer. Atlanta is heavily desirable out there in the real world... as is Houston. But on the flip side one could argue people in general have horrible misconceptions about major US Dense cities. (NY has crime/grimey, Philly is boring/dangerous, Boston is racist and close minded, DC is crime riddled) when there are literally statistics to negate otherwise. Just The Jones effect in action.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:05 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
In the real world, Sunbelt cities are valued over the dense walkable cores. People irl arent data nerds like us. Therefore, cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas and Phoenix are loved by many in the real world. Where this website just supports cities based on population. (ie, NY #1, LA #2, Chicago #3, etc... idek I dont get the hype/boosting for certain cities)

But I would not take CityData heavily at all. By no means is it an accurate representation of what cities and regions people prefer. Atlanta is heavily desirable out there in the real world... as is Houston. But on the flip side one could argue people in general have horrible misconceptions about major US Dense cities. (NY has crime/grimey, Philly is boring/dangerous, Boston is racist and close minded, DC is crime riddled) when there are literally statistics to negate otherwise. Just The Jones effect in action.
Not really. It depends on the demographic we're talking about. Highly educated, high income professionals in creative and innovative fields are not flocking to Phoenix and Atlanta more than NY and SF-they just arent. We know from alumni data that Ivy League grads for example prefer established, vibrant urban centers overwhelmingly.

So there are lots of things to consider.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:32 AM

8,322 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not really. It depends on the demographic we're talking about. Highly educated, high income professionals in creative and innovative fields are not flocking to Phoenix and Atlanta more than NY and SF-they just arent. We know from alumni data that Ivy League grads for example prefer established, vibrant urban centers overwhelmingly.

But if you follow that argument to its logical end, you can isolate any demographic to make any city be among the most appealing. For example, Im Arab. I can easily make the case that Detroit is the most desirable city in the US based on the culture of my ethnicity but its clearly not for almost everyone else.

High income earners have to make $349k per year. Thats less than one percent of the US population. We know who is moving to places like SF and NYC based on the data. Its not Americans as a whole, but people from foreign countries. Thats fine, but I dont think its fair to single out one tiny segment of the US population and cast it on to the whole.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:47 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

There are tons of ways to look it. Different professions, educational attainments, race, age, etc... But generally.. The sunbelt Sprawl Belts are seen as more attractive than the dense Urban cores. They see the highest levels of domestic migration flows and are generally seen as a place for many to go after they leave high taxes/high COL. Im not sticking up for those people, its just where we are today, its how it is. Sure the cohorts you mentioned want the SFs, Bostons and NYCs.... but generally its not like that. And this only solidified this from COVID. Poor city management, corruption, widespread misconception, poor city level infrastructures and other factros are hindering the future growth of cities. We started out the decade strong, and by 2018 nearly all major US Cities were stagnant in growtj, or even declining. It has a lot to do with Millenials growing older and moving out to the burbs to start their life.. but a lot of it has to do with how Poor the infrastructure is and how little cities do to mitigate these issues.

Good example, Boston grew from 617k to 705k people this decade (2010-2020)... However, from 2010 to 2020, MBTA (T) Ridership declined some years and there were no new additions, little signal improvements and very few transit developments to mitigate the population/congestion woes. As our European and ANglo World cities were developing new subways and transit systems, most US Cities did not do much to help the issues. NY, Boston, Philly, DC, SF, etc.. all saw huge influxes of people, and little improvements/if any to their mass transit. Im getting a little sidetracked, but, people will substitute that $2,500 a month 4509 square foot apartment in the city for a nice 600k SFH in the suburbs of perhaps a nicer, newer, more temperature moderate metropolitan area where your money goes further. (Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Tampa, Orlando, etc..) Its what people want right now. Migration trends, satisfaction surveys and idealistic living situations also support that. I could never live in a sprawly suburb, but a lot of people do and want to. But it really comes down to how poorly managed our cities are when it comes to affordability and infrastructure. There will always be people who want to live in cities (Especially the ones taking swoop of the hot deals you can get), but suburbs and the "Phoenix's and Atlanta's" are what more people want at the moment. I can sit and argue why I think Boston or Seattle are America's finest places to live based off of the quality of what they provide, but while many would agree, they arent desirable for a lot of people. Sure they both exploded in population this decade and attracted a lot of Fortune 500 companies, but people are more inclined to chose other cities. I cant argue with that, and frankly, I can see why.

I dont see a reversal of this trend anytime soon, especially with this current leadership who has a vendetta against our great, ironically Blue, cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City