Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 02:14 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times

Advertisements

This is my point of view, revised based on recent events:

Very desirable: None

Desirable: None

Moderately desirable: None

Not desirable: Houston, Miami, Phoenix, Tampa, St. Louis, Charlotte, Orlando, San Antonio

Very undesirable: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco/Oakland, Detroit, Seattle, Minneapolis/St. Paul, San Diego, Denver, Baltimore, Portland, Sacramento

But by all means, keep voting for the same dunces at the local level, and those whom they endorse. I'm sure things will get better if you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 02:53 AM

955 posts, read 610,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
- this is based on what you think the NATIONAL perception of each city is, and not necessarily YOUR perception.
Seems like nobody's paying attention to this part.

Anyway, I was surprised in the poll shared that Orlando is high-ranking for people to live. I would've expected most Americans to want to stay away from it as it's very overcrowded with tourists, bad traffic full of out-of-towners, and isn't well-known outside of its tourism industry.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:33 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Take the 25 largest cities in the nation, and tier them into 5 categories:

Tier 1: Very desirable
Tier 2: Desirable
Tier 3: Moderately desirable
Tier 4: Not desirable
Tier 5: Very undesirable

Keep in mind a couple things:

- this is based on what you think the NATIONAL perception of each city is, and not necessarily YOUR perception.

- the criteria is up to you and whatever you think Americans find desirable. It might be warm weather, pop culture, amenities, wages, notoriety, or whatever else you think embodies perception in the eyes of US citizens.

- try to consider recency. For example, some “it” cities from the 2000s may not be as well-regarded anymore, and some nondescript cities have exploded in popularity in the past couple years.

- this can be based on living and/or visiting. You’re just trying to determine tiers of a city’s overall perception.

- please do not bash cities in this thread. Even if, for example, you feel NYC is highly regarded but it’s a miserable place to live in, you don’t need to bring out a city’s negative qualities. We do that enough around here, and I’ve unfairly been guilty of it too.

With that in mind, here is the list of cities:

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Houston
6. Washington, DC
7. Miami
8. Philadelphia
9. Atlanta
10. Phoenix
11. Boston
12. San Francisco
13. Detroit
14. Seattle
15. Minneapolis
16. San Diego
17. Tampa
18. Denver
19. St. Louis
20. Baltimore
21. Charlotte
22. Orlando
23. San Antonio
24. Portland
25. Sacramento

Tier away.
Based nationally as asked:

I
New York
Los Angeles
Washington
Miami
San Francisco
San Diego

II
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
Atlanta
Boston
Seattle
Denver

III
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Minneapolis
Charlotte
Orlando
Portland
Sacramento

IV
Detroit
Tampa
St Louis
Baltimore
San Antonio

V

This would be mine:

I
Los Angeles
Washington

II
New York
Seattle
Denver
Charlotte

III
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
Philadelphia
Boston
Detroit
Minneapolis
San Diego
Tampa
St Louis
Orlando
Sacramento

IV
Miami
Atlanta
Phoenix
Baltimore
Portland

V
San Francisco
San Antonio

Old 08-15-2020, 05:35 AM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post

Anyway, I was surprised in the poll shared that Orlando is high-ranking for people to live. I would've expected most Americans to want to stay away from it as it's very overcrowded with tourists, bad traffic full of out-of-towners, and isn't well-known outside of its tourism industry.
With regards to Orlando, I don’t think there’s such a thing as not being well-known outside of the tourist industry. I feel like nearly everyone knows what Disney, Universal, and Sea World are, just like everyone knows what beaches are in Miami or what gambling is in Vegas. I think the existence of those things are the very things that make it desirable in the eyes of Americans. Without the theme parks, Orlando’s desirability would be like San Antonio or Charlotte or some other underrated city without a major discernible draw.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Its not easy to take a survey of what cities people think are desirable without allowing people to choose for themselves, then reviewing the responses based on what the people said...

Quote:

Sacramento is CRIMINALLY underrated. It flies so far under the radar. I don’t think there’s that big a difference between San Diego and Sacramento besides the beach. San Diego has a better downtown but Sacramento is a great city too. If it was a beach city, I think it would be viewed among the most desirable destinations in the US.
100%!

Old 08-15-2020, 05:26 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundi86 View Post
Minneapolis hasn’t appeared at all. With cold weather and George Floyd, I knocked it down a peg.

LOL! An innocent black man (Elijah McClain) was killed in the Denver area just after George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis yet you think Minneapolis should be knocked down a peg and have Denver ranked as very desirable.

If we were to use your logic every city would be considered not desirable because cops have killed unarmed people in every major city / metro area.

How some of you people make it through the day is beyond me.

Last edited by YIMBY; 08-15-2020 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-15-2020, 05:39 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,218 times
Quote:

You realize this is city-data, right? I guarantee you most posters on this board have never been outside their home state. They get all their information about cities... here.

Old 08-15-2020, 05:59 PM

503 posts, read 800,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
LOL! An innocent black man (Elijah McClain) was killed in the Denver area just after George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis yet you think Minneapolis should be knocked down a peg and have Denver ranked as very desirable.

If we were to use your logic every city would be considered not desirable because cops have killed unarmed people in every major city / metro area.

Killings of innocent Black people are happening in many cities across the US. Not just Minneapolis and Denver. But the thing is, I don't think many people think about Minneapolis. It's very under the radar and unfortunately only really got attention when the protests and riots started. Denver's been a popular city for a while now so naturally things like the Elijah McClain case (Which actually happened in Aurora nearly a year ago and luckily got attention because of the George Floyd case) don't overshadow the cities image. Denver and Minneapolis don't exactly have the same desirability level when it comes to public perception imo. I don't really see how it's debatable really. I'd say the Twin Cities are Moderately desirable though

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 08-15-2020 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-15-2020, 06:23 PM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:

Wow relax. Why so angry? He probably didn’t mean the George Floyd incident in itself. But the riots, looting, and inconsolable violence that gripped the city for weeks thereafter. Same with Portland, Atlanta, Louisville, Seattle, Chicago, and a handful of other cities. Yes, I think those activities have left a bad taste in the minds of Americans regarding those cities’ desirability.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:29 PM

79 posts, read 35,372 times
Quote:
You realize this is city-data, right? I guarantee you most posters on this board have never been outside their home state. They get all their information about cities... here.
The poll wasn’t about posters here. It was a nationwide survey done by Harris. Please attempt reading comprehension before you try to insult other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City