Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the brightest future?
St. Louis 25 30.12%
Memphis 11 13.25%
Baltimore 47 56.63%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 09:17 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Which of America's most blighted cities at the moment have the best hope for the future in terms of growth, urban development, public transportation development, and becoming as important as they once were?

And lowering their crime rate...

Also which city has the least potential?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 09:50 PM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Lord hammercy that is a tough call.

I would go with Baltimore, though, due to its geographic location. However I don't see a bright future for any of these 3 over the next 10-20 years. More like 50-100 for B'more.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:03 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Baltimore.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:11 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Baltimore due to its geographic location alone. It’s already significantly ahead of the others in public transportation and new urban development.

St. Louis & Memphis both have the potential to be great cities in their own right, but comparatively lack the advantages that Baltimore’s location gives it and that’s going to hinder the potential growth.

The poorest city (Memphis) will have hardest time lower it’s crime rate. St. Louis and Baltimore can and will gentrify a lot quicker as they are substantially wealthier metros.

Last edited by Joakim3; 12-14-2020 at 10:22 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 05:32 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Baltimore. Its location gives it a big advantage.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:49 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Does it tho? Yeah it's nice that it's residents get to travel easily to DC and Philly , But is Being Overshadowed all the time A Bright future??

Old 12-15-2020, 05:53 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
But will its proximity to DC (and Philly) continue to create a brain drain for B'more?

I think people may constantly be pulled to other nearby metros. This could apply to Memphis (Nashville instead of DC in this case) too)

St. Louis don't have that problem really.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:13 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Baltimore is going to have to revamp its government/major societal problems before it will be as prosperous as this poll predicts. It has its "location" and is still a mess. They have potential, but a long way to go.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:21 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Baltimore due to its geographic location alone. It’s already significantly ahead of the others in public transportation and new urban development.

St. Louis & Memphis both have the potential to be great cities in their own right, but comparatively lack the advantages that Baltimore’s location gives it and that’s going to hinder the potential growth.

The poorest city (Memphis) will have hardest time lower it’s crime rate. St. Louis and Baltimore can and will gentrify a lot quicker as they are substantially wealthier metros.
Right Yeah, Gentrify, there's the Answer

Blight, I guess from the Outside looking in Memphis is "blighted" but from the inside at least in recent years Memphis doesn't
appear as blighted as any other major city it's run down elements have been revamped and repurposed and turned into lofts or whatever.....Crime in Memphis will Never Go away
Memphis does have some built in Advantages. I Know the Narrative about Memphis is Crime and Run down. And Anything counter to That Narrative will get a bunch of eye rolls However if objectivity is allowed to prevail for a moment Memphis is in A Great Central Location , it's In the South, It's in Tennessee, a right to work state with No State Income Tax before the pandemic it had Surging and Record Setting Tourism.....Also Looking At Recent Economic and Demographic data Memphis Is Growing MiNutely faster then St Louis ..I'm going to stop before I go on a tangent and next thing I know I've written a book lol

But I would put it like this
Yes Indeed I Think Baltimore has the Brightest Future ONLY due to Proximity to DC...As DC becomes bigger and More Powerful
Some of it would inevitable spill into Baltimore...but yet again Playing second fiddle is a questionable future

Between St Louis and Memphis it's up in the Air. The Notion that Memphis is a Crime Infested Run Down City that's on the Rocks with no hope is A Poplar Narrative here but a Dark cloud that hides or blinds one to some glaring facts

St Louis also faces this reputation of being a crime Infested rundown place... however unlike Memphis I could not find any advantages St Louis has in the future, I Can't say well it's in a great location, I Can't Say it's attracting HQ's etc...But what I can Say is that it's bigger and wealthier than Memphis for now, but beyond that idk. St Louis is not rising or excelling in any category quite the opposite. So I could say Memphis might outperform St Louis in some categories here and there but St Louis is still bigger.... Memphis has Sunnier weather and a better Central ideal location and that could lead to a slightly better outlook but St Louis is Still wealthier

So best Outlook Baltimore...
St Louis - Memphis, tie

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 12-15-2020 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-15-2020, 06:54 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,512 times
St. Louis has the least crime on a metro level. Memphis is the worst for crime (number 1 for crime on the metro level). Baltimore has location going for it. I’m going to go with Memphis having the hardest time rebounding from that. St. Louis north city has a huge task to reduce crime, but it’s a strong metro. I don’t know as much about Baltimore but I think it has a good chance too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City