Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the brightest future?
St. Louis 25 30.12%
Memphis 11 13.25%
Baltimore 47 56.63%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:05 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
St. Louis has the least crime on a metro level. Memphis is the worst for crime (number 1 for crime on the metro level). Baltimore has location going for it. I’m going to go with Memphis having the hardest time rebounding from that. St. Louis north city has a huge task to reduce crime, but it’s a strong metro. I don’t know as much about Baltimore but I think it has a good chance too.
St Louis is a Solid metro, but how is it a Strong Metro when it's constantly sinking in rankings and anemic economic growth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 08:27 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Does it tho? Yeah it's nice that it's residents get to travel easily to DC and Philly , But is Being Overshadowed all the time A Bright future??
Even with it being overshadowed by its two bigger neighbor cities, it's still in a vastly better position than either of the other two. One of the benefits of being a big city in the Bos-Was corridor.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:29 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Even with it being overshadowed by its two bigger neighbor cities, it's still in a vastly better position than either of the other two. One of the benefits of being a big city in the Bos-Was corridor.
Can you (or anyone) share how this benefits Baltimore, exactly? Any examples? I guess theoretically people who are priced out of Washington may find Baltimore to be a decent alternative while remaining in the general vicinity.

But I find the notion that DC has a brain-drain effect on Baltimore quite believable. People graduating from university or high school and then moving to DC for work or school seems like a real problem for Baltimore. DC also may take projects, companies, etc. from Baltimore, whereas a place like St Louis wouldn't have anyone to compete with nearby.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
But will its proximity to DC (and Philly) continue to create a brain drain for B'more?

I think people may constantly be pulled to other nearby metros. This could apply to Memphis (Nashville instead of DC in this case) too)

St. Louis don't have that problem really.
It will definitely have to deal with that "drain" effect with its larger, more powerful neighbor to the South (DC). Even with that I still think its location and potential gives it more long-term upside than the other two. St. Louis is the king of its domain (so to speak) however I don't think that's enough to have it supplant a a large city in the Bos-Was corridor like Bmore if and when it gets its act together.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Can you (or anyone) share how this benefits Baltimore, exactly? Any examples? I guess theoretically people who are priced out of Washington may find Baltimore to be a decent alternative while remaining in the general vicinity.

But I find the notion that DC has a brain-drain effect on Baltimore quite believable. People graduating from university or high school and then moving to DC for work or school seems like a real problem for Baltimore. It also may steal projects, companies, etc. from Baltimore, whereas a place like St Louis wouldn't have anyone to compete with nearby.
I'm not sure the intellectual property drain (meaning students in this case) is that big of a factor for Baltimore's long term outlook. Baltimore's economy is different than DC's. They're not as much competitor's as some may think in this regard.

The location really can't be understated. So much commerce, business, finance, etc is done in this corridor that it will continue to give Baltimore a shot at a renaissance in much quicker fashion than either of the other two cities. Baltimore also was HQ to Legg Mason (one of the main skyscrapers downtown) and T Rowe price. So there's some strong financial backing in this region.

St. Louis is in a good spot too. I just don't think it has the built-in advantages or potential that Baltimore has due to location.

Also as has been brought up on here many times before, even though they are only 40 miles apart Baltimore and DC couldn't be any more different. To say that people from DC who are priced out will look in the Baltimore vicinity as an option isn't really all as common as some may think. I lived in DC for years and Baltimore might as well been 4 hours away. They really are two very distinct cultures. That said, I still believe Baltimore benefits locationally from being inside this zone in terms of economic and growth outlook.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:52 AM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
I'm not sure the intellectual property drain (meaning students in this case) is that big of a factor for Baltimore's long term outlook. Baltimore's economy is different than DC's. They're not as much competitor's as some may think in this regard.

The location really can't be understated. So much commerce, business, finance, etc is done in this corridor that it will continue to give Baltimore a shot at a renaissance in much quicker fashion than either of the other two cities. Baltimore also was HQ to Legg Mason (one of the main skyscrapers downtown) and T Rowe price. So there's some strong financial backing in this region.

St. Louis is in a good spot too. I just don't think it has the built-in advantages or potential that Baltimore has due to location.

Also as has been brought up on here many times before, even though they are only 40 miles apart Baltimore and DC couldn't be any more different. To say that people from DC who are priced out will look in the Baltimore vicinity as an option isn't really all as common as some may think. I lived in DC for years and Baltimore might as well been 4 hours away. They really are two very distinct cultures. That said, I still believe Baltimore benefits locationally from being inside this zone in terms of economic and growth outlook.
Hmm, on your last paragraph, I can imagine, for example, a family of two teachers who live in the Maryland suburbs of DC deciding to move to the Baltimore suburbs instead to get away from high cost of living, while still wanting to be close to family. It could be an alternative for people in more "regular folk" jobs who are being priced out but want to remain in the general area.

I can imagine the proximity to DC being beneficial for companies as well. Being located in a more low-cost city while still being able to have access to partners/clients within DC is a benefit for sure.

But at the same time the brain/talent/corporate drain from Baltimore to DC could still be a real problem.

I'm not really sold on location being a pro or a con for Baltimore I think this remains to be seen.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:

But I find the notion that DC has a brain-drain effect on Baltimore quite believable. People graduating from university or high school and then moving to DC for work or school seems like a real problem for Baltimore. DC also may take projects, companies, etc. from Baltimore, whereas a place like St Louis wouldn't have anyone to compete with nearby.
I grew up in MD, in between Baltimore and DC (Howard County), and I think another big additional draw for DC, as opposed to Baltimore, is the suburbs. Especially in NOVA, there are so many jobs in Arlington, Alexandria, Tyson's, McLean, Reston, Vienna, etc. Many big companies have headquarters here. Consequently, there are a lot of restaurants, bars, nightlife, and social options. Additionally, many recent young grads/professionals can live at home and still afford to stay in the area while they become established. At that point, they can afford to live in the area. So in addition to people moving to DC; DC also retains a lot of young professionals as well.

In a place like St. Louis, they probably attract a decent amount of in-state grads from Mizzou and WashU who get jobs in St. Louis. In a city like Baltimore, outside of a few of the mid-tier banks (Legg Mason, TRowePrice) and smaller Big 4 accounting offices (PwC, Deloitte, KPMG, and EY), most of the major job opportunities are in DC.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:00 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Baltimore for its location. It's very close to some trendier areas.
Then St. Louis for its civic pride. It's mostly just the city itself that's in rough shape.
Poor Memphis is just too dysfunctional, but I still like it the best of the three.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:17 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
St. Louis has the least crime on a metro level. Memphis is the worst for crime (number 1 for crime on the metro level). Baltimore has location going for it. I’m going to go with Memphis having the hardest time rebounding from that. St. Louis north city has a huge task to reduce crime, but it’s a strong metro. I don’t know as much about Baltimore but I think it has a good chance too.
My thoughts exactly.

I've lived in Memphis and visit quite often. That city doesn't seem to have what it takes to get itself together. They don't have the tax structure to build itself out of its current situation. The conservative nature of the politics wont allow for it. I can't begin to tell you how dirty that place seems driving around town on the freeway. The city just has a sloppy and slow energy to it when dealing with the people.

St. Louis is my current city and outside of an area of about 50 to 75k people, St. Louis crime threat is pretty average. The problem here is with fragmented government and keeping poverty within the small city limits. Unfortunately, I don't see that changing anytime soon. Also, St. Louis would need to have a regional approach to growth or develop a super powerful magnet to attract money to the city and that won't likely happen.

I don't know enough about Baltimore outside of a trip there back in 2010. It just seems like it has a lot more potential than St. Louis because of its location.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:29 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
I think "bright future" is a bit vague.

In terms of futures, I think this specific comparison gives Baltimore and St Louis a very large and unfair advantage over Memphis.

Baltimore and St Louis are larger metro areas by almost a million and a half each, so that already gives them the ability to have larger corporate presence, larger workforce to draw from, more colleges & universities, and just more leverage in attracting growth in general.

2019 estimates:
Baltimore city: 593k
Baltimore metro: 2,803,000

St Louis city: 300k
St Louis metro: 2,807,000

Memphis city: 651k
Memphis metro: 1,350,000

Memphis has a ton of development/redevelopment projects happening now, and the city and metro are continuing to attract businesses. Memphis is a major tourist draw and an iconic music city historically, and has a different soulful, easy, chill vibe than St Louis or Baltimore.

St Louis and Baltimore are much bigger cities overall, and are definitely positioned for brighter futures than Memphis. Memphis has an overall poorer region, and will lag due to this, when compared against these 2 cities.

Memphis is in a different league of cities, size-wise, and has a super bright future on its own, however.

I think Memphis is going to be one of the "it" cities this decade for growth.

St Louis is actually the one that's fallen most far from its glory and status over the years. It has actually plummeted quite far, and is a shell of what it used to be.

Baltimore has a better location, and to me, the much better overall city, with the better future when comparing just these 2 cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City