Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is most different from its central city?
New Orleans 8 12.90%
Detroit 38 61.29%
Baltimore 2 3.23%
Los Angeles 4 6.45%
Atlanta 2 3.23%
Las Vegas 3 4.84%
Nashville 2 3.23%
Other 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 03:45 PM

824 posts, read 711,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
If the suburbs can still come up to 50% black? That is still significant to remain a Black mecca whether it dips below 50% or not including the city dipping in Black %. Few Northern if any cities that might reach near that for the city-proper..... get anywhere close to that in the suburbs. Maybe I am wrong and there is a exception?

Some cities the minority count is high cause of a high Hispanic population and not just African-American.... so there is that also as I noted Chicago city-proper then breaks down in 1/3's that way.
Also, even if the city limits are barely 50% black anymore, it’s not like it’s just white people moving into the city, plenty of other ethnic/racial groups are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 04:27 PM

37 posts, read 36,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I think you are unintentionally mischaracterizing LA's hyper-segregation. Poverty is absolutely not "evenly distributed". There are just multiple pockets of concentrated poverty in different locations across a massive area. I think what you mean is that every sub-region of LA metro has its own share of wealthy and poor enclaves. But that doesn't mean that LA "evenly distributes poverty". LA very much concentrates poverty...in multiple locations.

I think we're on the same page, but it's worth clarifying.
Yeah the poverty is bulked up in several zones around the metro but that's rhe difference. Compared to Detroit it seem like a greater share of it's poverty is within the city limits like how L.A was worse back then..key word, worse. Not saying its disappeared it's just moved around and about. The poor areas are still concentrated but atleast most are not trapped within a certain square milage as the residents in as great of a volume as what was once known. Today they are trapped within many square miles evenly spread throughout the nearly 19 million metro.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:08 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
If the suburbs can still come up to 50% black? That is still significant to remain a Black mecca whether it dips below 50% or not including the city dipping in Black %. Few Northern if any cities that might reach near that for the city-proper..... get anywhere close to that in the suburbs. Maybe I am wrong and there is a exception?

Some cities the minority count is high cause of a high Hispanic population and not just African-American.... so there is that also as I noted Chicago city-proper then breaks down in 1/3's that way.
Atlanta metro is just over 33% Black and when considering the relative small city limits, that equates to a seemingly ubiquitous black visibility across the region. I believe this exposure mitigates some of the stigmatization that surrounds suburbs and inner city neighborhoods with more than a handful of blacks. College Park and East Pointe wouldn't be approved as anything other than suburbs with high crime and to be avoided if it was outside of Chicago(or most/all major Midwestern metros for that matter). The "Black Mecca" moniker pertains to more than the city limits for sure, and I'd say the metro has one of the least distinctions between the city and its suburbs.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:26 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Atlanta metro is just over 33% Black and when considering the relative small city limits, that equates to a seemingly ubiquitous black visibility across the region. I believe this exposure mitigates some of the stigmatization that surrounds suburbs and inner city neighborhoods with more than a handful of blacks. College Park and East Pointe wouldn't be approved as anything other than suburbs with high crime and to be avoided if it was outside of Chicago(or most/all major Midwestern metros for that matter). The "Black Mecca" moniker pertains to more than the city limits for sure, and I'd say the metro has one of the least distinctions between the city and its suburbs.
https://www.metroatlantachamber.com/...cutive-profile

2019 - Atlanta metro by race split.

% of Population - White ----- 52.8%
% of Population - Black ----- 34.3%
% of Population - Hispanic -- 10.9%
% of Population - Asian ------ 6.1%

2010 Black Population of US city metros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

% of Population - NYC ----- 17.8%
% of Population - Atlanta -- 32.4%
% of Population - Chicago - 17.4%
% of Population - DC ------- 25.8%

If 2 of these links showing Atlanta Metro Black % are correct one 2010 and one 2019.
Atlanta still increased overall nearly 2% black %..... I doubt if NYC, CHI or DC metros did.

*** So if NYC CHI and DC did not increase in % metro as Black? Then Atlanta metro in 2019
at over 34% is TWICE the BLACK POPULATION % OF the NYC and CHI metros. If I read it correctly?

Old 03-13-2021, 07:29 PM

37 posts, read 36,788 times
Who voted for Los Angeles cause the surrounding metro is not too much different than the city itself.. for example the counties surrounding LA aside from Kern voted majority democrat oppose to the others probably..but i could be wrong

Old 03-13-2021, 07:35 PM

156 posts, read 174,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Economically I guess Detroit has a bigger contrast than New Orleans because there are still many very nice areas within New Orleans city limits while this isn't really true for Detroit.

Detroit is a massive slum with a totally failed economy while at least half the city of New Orleans is still very safe and well kept. While some parts of the city do feel like a war zone, its not wide swaths of the city like Detroit (or Baltimore).
Now this is what I call "talking out of your a$$." I lived in Detroit area until very recently, and the downtown/midtown/corktown areas have made tremendous strides forward over the past few years. Detroit has become very lively in the central core, of course there's been a dip in activity due to Covid, but Detroit is doing great. The city hasn't undone or fixed all of its turbulent history, but it's in a place that few would've imagined it only 5 - 6 years ago.

So your comment that Detroit has no nice areas within its city limits is dead wrong. Once again there's downtown, midtown, Corktown, the Eastern Market area, Palmer Park...etc..etc..

When you get out of the central city, there are a ton of great areas to explore, including but not limited to: Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Rochester, Plymouth, Northville, Ann Arbor. Then you have Canada right across the border..etc..etc..

Detroit is massively underrated.

Last edited by kingsdl76; 03-13-2021 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 09:24 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
https://www.metroatlantachamber.com/...cutive-profile

2019 - Atlanta metro by race split.

% of Population - White ----- 52.8%
% of Population - Black ----- 34.3%
% of Population - Hispanic -- 10.9%
% of Population - Asian ------ 6.1%

2010 Black Population of US city metros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...an_populations

% of Population - NYC ----- 17.8%
% of Population - Atlanta -- 32.4%
% of Population - Chicago - 17.4%
% of Population - DC ------- 25.8%

If 2 of these links showing Atlanta Metro Black % are correct one 2010 and one 2019.
Atlanta still increased overall nearly 2% black %..... I doubt if NYC, CHI or DC metros did.

*** So if NYC CHI and DC did not increase in % metro as Black? Then Atlanta metro in 2019
at over 34% is TWICE the BLACK POPULATION % OF the NYC and CHI metros. If I read it correctly?
Yep, twice the percentage as NY or Chicago, though NY tri-state numerically still has the most blacks(but Atlanta, I think, is the biggest in terms of suburban numbers). Chicago actually dropped a percentage point in 2019 5- year estimate, so a little over half. It's now been surpassed by DC. I believe the bulk, if not all, stems from losses in Chicago city proper, as the suburbs remain either stagnant or increasing as a whole, even though there are suburbs that also saw noticeable losses( Evanston, Harvey) . Blacks remaining in the the metro migrating to the burbs have heavily gravitated towards NWI and the southland, in which south Cook is about 25-30% black out of 1 million+. Areas in the southwest burbs where there were so few blacks before have more than quadrupled in black presence since 2000 or 2010 census. It feels as though over a quarter of the clientele in Orland, Tinley, and Oak Lawn main commerce corridors are black at times, even though residential statistics shows a much smaller percentage. The south suburbs going east of I-57 have almost all transitioned to plurality or majority black communities, with only like two that are still >50% white.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:57 PM

10,213 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I think the more typical case is that of a very liberal city, with moderate to very liberal suburbs and very conservative to moderate far-flung exurban and rural areas. Usually the city and suburbs make up a minority of the land area but the majority of the population base of the metro region. Therefore, usually even in cases where the city and the metro area could be seen as very different, they are not really that different at a population level, since the biggest fraction of the population usually resides in the inner suburbs, with the next biggest fraction in the city itself, and the smallest fraction in the parts of the metro which are most different from the city.

This would be the situation in Atlanta or Austin. I think NOLA and Memphis might be the biggest exceptions. Saint Louis and KC probably are too but I don't know that much about them. Detroit maybe next up and Baltimore is up there too. In some sense Detroit and especially Baltimore I think of as places where demographically the city is different, but politically it's not really that different. Philly is another example of this where the demographics racially and economically are really different outside the city, but the political presentation is less starkly different.
This is very true. New Orleans, Detroit, and Baltimore are all very liberal in the city itself. However New Orleans's suburbs, including inner suburbs, are much more conservative than Detroit or Baltimore's. Jefferson and St. Tammany Parishes all went very strongly for Trump, in fact every majority white area in the New Orleans suburbs is consistently Republican. Suburban New Orleans might be socially liberal (in terms of attitudes toward drinking and gambling), but its voting patterns and fiscal views are very conservative.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:06 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Detroit easily

Old 03-14-2021, 06:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Absolutely. The city of Atlanta continues to become less and less black each passing year. Wouldn’t be shocked if it loses majority black status in the next census. Atlanta hasn’t been a black mecca for some time now.
Historically, Atlanta's majority Black population, which it still retains and may retain longer than projected due to migration to the suburbs by more affluent White residents caused by the pandemic and a spike in crime over the past year, was one of the factors that led to it becoming known as a Black mecca, but obviously there were other more significant reasons for this seeing as though many major cities (which did not become known as Black meccas or some other similar label) across the country became majority Black around the time Atlanta did and for the same general reasons. Atlanta became and is still very much the nation's Black mecca (a status it shares with DC) due to its popularity as the number one destination metropolitan area for Black transplants of the so-called Reverse Great Migration since 1970, longstanding Black political and civic leadership locally and nationally, prominent civil rights leadership class, plethora of Black institutions of all types, notable historic and modern Black middle-class/upper middle-class neighborhoods, the sheer size of its Black middle-class/entrepreneurial metropolitan population, Black historical and cultural significance and an identity and brand rooted in such, status as the hub of the nation's Black entertainment industry, and the diversity and geographical distribution of its Black metropolitan population across the central city and much of suburbia/exurbia. All of these are factors that will remain more or less unchanged when and if the Black population of Atlanta proper dips below 50%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City