Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:41 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times

Advertisements

Which city is the most progressive ? Which city has the best night-life? Which city do you prefer to visit or live in ? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each city? What does each city have to offer?

Last edited by JMT; 05-02-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 09:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Which city is the most progressive ? Which city has the best night-life? Best skyline ? Which city do you prefer to visit or live in ? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each city? What does each city have to offer?
Ive never lived in either, but have been to both. Heres my take:

ATL: Cheaper, better summer weather (if thats possible), better food, decent suburbs.

Miami: More unique, more progressive, better night-life, more expensive, obvious better winters.

Last edited by JMT; 05-02-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 PM

607 posts, read 2,979,519 times
I don't like either. it's 95 here in michigan and I bet in those cities it's 105.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Which city is the most progressive ? Which city has the best night-life? Which city do you prefer to visit or live in ? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each city? What does each city have to offer?
The two cities are really like apples and oranges. Atlanta is more important economically and as a business center, plus its undergoing much more growth (metro area). However: Progressive? Probably Miami but Atlanta is becoming more so.
Night life? I'll give the nod to Miami but theres plenty to do in Atlanta as well.
I would prefer to visit Miami but living in Atlanta is better.

Atlanta-Adv.
Strong and diverse economy
good nightlife in city
suburbs are excellent for raising families
central location in the Southeast
Winters not extreme and neither are summers.
plenty of jobs
limited public transportation.
lower cost of living than other big metros

Atl-disadv.
Rising cost of living in city and affluent suburbs
posterboy of urban sprawl/traffic
certain areas of the city are very dangerous
limited public transportation
landlocked (but less prone to hurricanes)

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with Miami for a similar pro/con. Long story short-Miami might be more fun for the rich but Atlanta serves the middle class much better.

Last edited by JMT; 05-02-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-01-2007, 11:55 PM

332 posts, read 448,876 times
Atlanta is building to satisfy. Miami is building for competition.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
I don't like either. it's 95 here in michigan and I bet in those cities it's 105.
89 in Miami.

Atlanta definitely wins. By the standards of an American city, Miami is basically a piece of crap with nice beaches. It has next to nothing going for it above climatic factors. It's better north of Miami, though.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:59 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times
Atlanta is the more progressive city based oni ts location,because it is the central hub of business in the south. Whereas Miami is the gateway to Latin America,but obviously not central to American cities.

Miami and Atlanta's night life are paralled,whereby Atlanta's nightlife is in the core of the city and Miami's is on the beach.

Atlanta is a land-locked city,whereby Miami has beautiful Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Atlanta's topography is rolling and has beautiful Stone Mountain,whereby Miami is flat with a sub-tropical climate with beautiful palm trees.

I like to visit both places, more Miami than Atlanta,but would not want to live in either city.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:16 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
Miami area hand down

Old 01-15-2008, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 53,536 times

I have been living in Atlanta for 5 years and I go to Miami every month.. so I know both places... Most progressive I would Atlanta cause it is really growing, more condos, more industries coming to have their headquarters here and as someone said, economically very important to the US and of course got to mention Centers for Disease Control headquarters!...

Best night life MIAMI! Atlanta used to be good, but eveyr club is closing..or moving to some isolated place. Buckhead is soo far from what it used to be. and helloo Miami is know for party you know.. and has all that tropical heat..

I think if you have a family and you have kids.. atlanta would be better.. if you young and no resposabilities like kids.. Miami would be more fun.. In Atlanta is kind of hard to meet people.. Miami has more crimes.. but atlanta have a lot of very dangerous places too and the crime is high as well..

I think Atlanta has a lot of business/professional opportunities for young people.. and properties are not that expensive as other major cities.. you could live very well.. Miami has a lot of culture.. I have heard by many people that both cities are the kind of places where you want to live for just a couple of years and then move somewhere else.

Last edited by JMT; 05-02-2017 at 05:20 PM..

Old 01-15-2008, 02:05 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,092 times
Quality of Life: I love both cities, but I would say Atlanta has the upper-hand in regards to quality of life. The neighborhoods in Atlanta are more charming and there are more affordable communties thorughout Metro Atlanta for middle-class families than there are in the Miami area as a whole. Also, schools in the Atlanta area are better as a whole than they are in Miami.

Diversity: Although Latino and Carribean cultures predominate in the Miami area, Atlanta is diverse as well with a large African American community, as well as a growing Hispanic and Asian community. However, due to international tourism and a large presence of foreign banks and companies, I think Miami is slightly more cosmopolitan than Atlanta. Also, it definitely helps to know Spanish if you plan on living in Miami.

Progressivism: In regards to being progressive, I would say that Atlanta is more progressive than Miami. Remember that Miami has a large Cuban expat population that have traditionally voted Republican and elected candidates that are more conservative politically. There is a large gay community in Miami, but Atlanta's may be larger, if not the largest in the Southeast.

Urban Landscape: Atlanta has more variety in regards to its neighborhoods than Miami. While Miami may have the advantage in having different ethnic enclaves within the city (Little Havana, Little Haiti), Atlanta offers different types of neighborhoods from posh (Midtown, Buckhead) to yuppie (Peachtree Hills, Virginia-Highland) to artsy/bohemian/hipster (East Atlanta, Little 5 Points, Cabbagetown). In Miami it seems that you either have money to live in a nice high-rise near the water or home in Coconut Grove, or you're living in an area without adequate services and infrastructure.

Natural Setting: Atlanta is set in the midst of a forest and is within a couple of hours from mountains that offer excellent choices for outdoor recreation including whitewater rafting, kayaking, hiking, and biking. Miami has the unbeatable advantage of having some of the best beaches in North America. Also, the nearby Everglades are one-of-a-kind, as well as the nearby Keys.

IMHO, one city really doesn't cancel out the other overall. It all depends on what you're looking for personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City