Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more accepting of black/white couples.
Northeast 18 18.18%
Midwest 4 4.04%
South 40 40.40%
West 37 37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 02:48 PM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not sure about purposefully wishing, us family people just head to areas with good schools. Race is not an issue.
I wasnt specifically referring to you. In eschaton's example, they mentioned people purposely avoiding. That was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 07:48 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I wasnt specifically referring to you. In eschaton's example, they mentioned people purposely avoiding. That was my point.
I think Gaylord's point is that one can make all sorts of race neutral decisions in life and end up with no black friends and few black neighbors. It isn't fair to say these people are racists. As far as the working class white person who uses racial slurs it does depend on the words and the context. Personally I don't think there's a valid use case for using these terms when no one in that group is around.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:16 AM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I think Gaylord's point is that one can make all sorts of race neutral decisions in life and end up with no black friends and few black neighbors. It isn't fair to say these people are racists. As far as the working class white person who uses racial slurs it does depend on the words and the context. Personally I don't think there's a valid use case for using these terms when no one in that group is around.
But that wasnt eschaton's question. He/she specifically referenced avoidance.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:26 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
The point I was raising is that racism isn't just about your personal beliefs, it's also about your actions, and the system you help to perpetuate.

Lots of well-meaning white people doing the "best thing for their kids" and avoiding living in neighborhoods with/having their kids go to school with black people in aggregate can have a far worse impact on black people than bigots saying racist stuff.

Imagine if instead all of them lived in integrated communities, had their kids attend integrated schools, and worked with their black neighbors and friends to make their communities a better place.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:02 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The point I was raising is that racism isn't just about your personal beliefs, it's also about your actions, and the system you help to perpetuate.

Lots of well-meaning white people doing the "best thing for their kids" and avoiding living in neighborhoods with/having their kids go to school with black people in aggregate can have a far worse impact on black people than bigots saying racist stuff.

Imagine if instead all of them lived in integrated communities, had their kids attend integrated schools, and worked with their black neighbors and friends to make their communities a better place.
Sure they can do that, but there’s already a term for that, it’s called gentrification. What do you suggest to solve that conundrum? Where the original residents get pushed out due to the increase in property taxes?

Old 02-16-2022, 01:22 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
Atlanta doesn't really surprise me since Blacks in Atlanta are more in their own bubble. Blacks represent all walks of life in Atlanta so they don't feel compelled to date outside their race. I know in rural North Georiga it's more accepted. I'm not sure how accepted it is in South Carolina metros like Columbia, Charleston, or Greenville. SC is known for having a deep south vibe, but the Urban areas are more like NC's just on a much smaller scale.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:28 AM

313 posts, read 159,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
This whole notion that racism dies once you head west is a myth, black/white couples face discrimination all throughout this country. The West just appears more open to it because there's not many black/white couples to begin with so you won't hear about much hostility.
That the truth been there done that. You have like Hispanic and White or Hispanic and black but mostly Asian and white largely interracial. Seattle and maybe Phoenix Denver are a good amount of black and white couples since there more integrated neighborhoods.
Las Vegas as well .. the Bay Area more prevalent than La and San Diego more better than La Sacremento better then the Bay and La in interracial family

Old 03-06-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think San Diego is the most conservative of the major metros out west.
True and Phoenix

Old 03-06-2022, 02:30 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivemoor89 View Post
True and Phoenix
Arizona feels conservative to me for sure.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In my opinion, the 2nd one by a long shot.
1000% Facts you be surprised but it's like that in Liberal
Places like California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City