Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Feel Any Midwest States Hold Their Own
Hell Nah 21 30.88%
Some of Them Hold Their Own With East Coast States 32 47.06%
It Holds its Own With the South But Not The East Coast 6 8.82%
I Prefer Michigan to Either Coast 6 8.82%
I Prefer Minnesota to Either Coast 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 09:06 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times

Advertisements

I'm a lifelong Midwesterner who's often thought that the beauty of the Midwest is really overlooked and underappreciated naturally. But I don't think the best of the Midwest tops the best of the Rockies or Appalachians, or the Maine and Oregon coasts.

I still think the following parts of the Midwest are absolutely beautiful and worthwhile places to visit for anyone:
-Lake Superior shore in both MN/WI
-The north woods/lakes country for MN/WI
-Driftless Area of WI/IA/MN
-Ozarks in Missouri
-Black Hills/Badlands of South Dakota
-Brown County in Indiana
-Door County, WI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 09:24 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Beauty is in eye of beholder. It’s not always about mountains, the ocean and vistas

Old 02-28-2023, 09:25 AM

140 posts, read 67,125 times
Growing up in NE Ohio the entire area felt so much different than Iowa, Nebraska, etc. showcasing how vast the Midwest is. Being so far east, Ohio is the only state in the Midwest that is a part of the Appalachian Foothills. Some of the best waterfalls in the Midwest are found in places like the Hocking Hills. Cincinnati is one of the more picturesque cities of the region. The Lake Erie Islands are a fun weekend getaway for people across the area.

Cities like Cincinnati, St. Paul and Minneapolis are consistently rated year after year as having some of the nation's best urban park systems. States like Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin are in the top 10 states for boater registration. Water plays a big role in recreational life.

I am not saying they are on par scenery wise as out west or parts of the east coast, but it certainly is underrated especially beyond the people who really do not know much about areas outside of a simple Google search.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:26 AM

14,169 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No west coast options in poll?
What's the subject line of this thread?

The whole point of this discussion is to compare scenic areas of the Midwest to those of the coasts and mountain states.

And what I said about Chicagoland notwithstanding, that flat landscape served as the inspiration for one of the first uniquely American architectural styles, the highly horizontal Prairie style of Frank Lloyd Wright.

And the contrast between land and sky in the right conditions can IMO produce nearly Ansel Adams-quality vistas. Here, for instance, is a photo I took at a railroad crossing near Edelstein, Ill., when I was traveling from Chicago back to Kansas City via the "Chicago-Kansas City Expressway" (IL/MO 110) with a journalist friend of mine:

10649887_10101608929334511_7135672308844999319_n by Sandy Smith, on Flickr

I don't think you need to be a farmer to see beauty in that.

But I will allow that generally flat, featureless topography usually isn't all that visually interesting. The Atlantic coastal plain, as several have noted here, shares that quality.

I will also note here that my hometown of Kansas City has interesting topography because it sits where the great ice sheet that covered most of the North American continent during the last Ice Age stopped (that's why the Missouri River makes a left turn at Kansas City). The bluff along the south edge of the Missouri River floodplain east of downtown is part of the city park system and also home to one of the most scenic roads in the Midwest: Cliff Drive, the only Missouri scenic byway located in an urban area. The road is also closed to motor vehicles on weekends, which gives you a chance to get up close and personal with the wildered* landscape along it.

*This is a word I picked up from Prof. John Stilgoe of Harvard, who used it to describe land that had been cleared for farming once but since returned to a state of nature. Another poster upthread noted that much of the rural land in the Eastern states has this character.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 02-28-2023 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-28-2023, 09:41 AM

457 posts, read 349,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'm a lifelong Midwesterner who's often thought that the beauty of the Midwest is really overlooked and underappreciated naturally. But I don't think the best of the Midwest tops the best of the Rockies or Appalachians, or the Maine and Oregon coasts.

I still think the following parts of the Midwest are absolutely beautiful and worthwhile places to visit for anyone:
-Lake Superior shore in both MN/WI
-The north woods/lakes country for MN/WI
-Driftless Area of WI/IA/MN
-Ozarks in Missouri
-Black Hills/Badlands of South Dakota
-Brown County in Indiana
-Door County, WI
Man you really need to take a trip to Michigan. Based on your posts it's pretty clear you've never been. IMO The UP and the entire western MI shore of Lake Michigan has an edge on all of these.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:16 AM

372 posts, read 203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What's the subject line of this thread?

The whole point of this discussion is to compare scenic areas of the Midwest to those of the coasts and mountain states.

And what I said about Chicagoland notwithstanding, that flat landscape served as the inspiration for one of the first uniquely American architectural styles, the highly horizontal Prairie style of Frank Lloyd Wright.

And the contrast between land and sky in the right conditions can IMO produce nearly Ansel Adams-quality vistas. Here, for instance, is a photo I took at a railroad crossing near Edelstein, Ill., when I was traveling from Chicago back to Kansas City via the "Chicago-Kansas City Expressway" (IL/MO 110) with a journalist friend of mine:

10649887_10101608929334511_7135672308844999319_n by Sandy Smith, on Flickr

I don't think you need to be a farmer to see beauty in that.

But I will allow that generally flat, featureless topography usually isn't all that visually interesting. The Atlantic coastal plain, as several have noted here, shares that quality.

I will also note here that my hometown of Kansas City has interesting topography because it sits where the great ice sheet that covered most of the North American continent during the last Ice Age stopped (that's why the Missouri River makes a left turn at Kansas City). The bluff along the south edge of the Missouri River floodplain east of downtown is part of the city park system and also home to one of the most scenic roads in the Midwest: Cliff Drive, the only Missouri scenic byway located in an urban area. The road is also closed to motor vehicles on weekends, which gives you a chance to get up close and personal with the wildered* landscape along it.

*This is a word I picked up from Prof. John Stilgoe of Harvard, who used it to describe land that had been cleared for farming once but since returned to a state of nature. Another poster upthread noted that much of the rural land in the Eastern states has this character.
There is definitely beauty in flat fields, and fields with wheat blowing in the wind are stunning, to me. It doesn't reach the grandeur of the mountains, of course, but it's quiet beauty, and there's something to be said for that.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:21 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Beauty is in eye of beholder. It’s not always about mountains, the ocean and vistas
True. But some folks act like that they can't live without it.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:47 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Wisconsin is beautiful. Minnesota is close. Probably Michigan too but I have not seen it myself.

Comparisons to most east coast states probably ends there.

There is just nothing in the breadbasket of Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma. I like the rolling hills of Iowa, but it is not Vermont or the Blue Ridge Mountains or upstate New York.

They all have their highlights, like the Black Hills of South Dakota, or the Ozarks in Missouri.

New England just has a breathtaking amount of stunning beauty.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:47 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
True. But some folks act like that they can't live without it.
Lol everyone from Seattle tbh.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:50 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Honestly, I love seeing all the farms, silos and neatly-plowed fields off the Interstates in Illinois. They're not mountains, palm trees or bodies of water, but they're picturesque in their own way. No matter whether you drive on I-55, I-57, I-64 or I-70, the scenery is very Rockwellian. Even I-90 has a small sliver of picturesque farmland between Rockford and the Chicagoland area. I haven't driven on I-72 or I-74 in Illinois, or I-80 or I-88 outside of the Chicagoland area, but I imagine the scenery on those Interstates is similar too. The only real outliers I've seen in Illinois are I-24 or I-94. I-24 passes through the Shawnee Hills in extreme southern Illinois, and I-94 never leaves the Chicagoland area.
In my modest travels, upstate New York had the most beautiful and well kept barns and silos I have ever seen, but I haven't traveled extensively in the past 20 years, so my take is dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City