Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Feel Any Midwest States Hold Their Own
Hell Nah 21 30.88%
Some of Them Hold Their Own With East Coast States 32 47.06%
It Holds its Own With the South But Not The East Coast 6 8.82%
I Prefer Michigan to Either Coast 6 8.82%
I Prefer Minnesota to Either Coast 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 04:07 PM

211 posts, read 120,238 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago currently. It obviously has one of the US's most beautiful downtowns and great architecture by the lake in general. I'm well aware though of where the region falls short beauty wise, having lived in California and South Africa. Personally though, I do find the 'dry look' of much of California off putting though.

I've never made it up to the Portland/Seattle stretch of it, but to me the Garden Route easily is more scenic than the Pacific Highway -

And the desert portions of California are easily beaten by New Mexico, Utah, and parts of Arizona.

Midwest wise, I feel Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota are the ones that compete best and perhaps in sections can compete well with states in New England, although having a far more transient fall and lacking true mountains is a knock against them (not all states in New England have true mountains though, although most have them closer.)

I'd say the Badlands in South Dakota and the combined area of Marquette, the Driftless, and Duluth is the Midwest's crown jewel.

I'd say the best the Midwest achieves is competing fairly well with New England and its mix of water and some solid topography can make it a more compelling place than states like Kentucky. Also the great lakes are generally better for water sports and swimming during the warm months than the Pacific Ocean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 04:30 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
While everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the relative scenic attributes of different regions, I don't think it is constructive to throw shade at the state of Kentucky in a thread meant to highlight the natural beauty that exists in the Midwest. This is especially true in the context of a sentence that highlights "water" and "solid topography" - when the state features a variety of rivers and lakes/reservoirs, and has plenty of rugged, rolling countryside with caves, waterfalls and more. Kentucky is certainly compelling enough to draw a significant number of Midwest visitors to its outdoors, judging from license plates I've seen when visiting myself.

That aside, I would agree that the specific locations identified in the Midwest are very scenic and enjoyable to visit, especially in the warmer seasons.

Old 02-27-2023, 05:07 PM

8,866 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Water, hills, and greenery can be awesome. I'm less of a fan of deserts aesthetically, though some can be gorgeous.

The West Coast states have everything imaginable...forests, mountains, salt water, fresh water, deserts, farms on rolling hills, and so on -- each state has all of these along with a lot of great city views.

I said hell nah, not because the Midwest doesn't have beautiful places but because it can't match the variety and drama of each of those states.

Old 02-27-2023, 05:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Disagree on those states easily beating CA deserts

Plenty of desert beauty near san diego, palm springs, and death valley.

Utah deserts are more overrated in beauty than CA deserts are to me. Im not sure which id pick(ca or utah), but its definitely not an easy choice for utah.

Death valley

https://www.oasisatdeathvalley.com/c...eyZabriske.jpg

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-27-2023 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Image violation

Old 02-27-2023, 05:57 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,895,607 times
Michigan

Old 02-27-2023, 06:40 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post

I'd say the Badlands in South Dakota and the combined area of Marquette, the Driftless, and Duluth is the Midwest's crown jewel.
I agree with your assessment but the very reason the Badlands are a crown jewel, is because they don’t look Midwestern.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:52 PM

372 posts, read 203,940 times
Michigan and Wisconsin have a whole lot of beauty. Hard to compare to parts of Utah and California, though.

Last edited by Bicala; 02-27-2023 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-27-2023, 07:09 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post
I live in Chicago currently. It obviously has one of the US's most beautiful downtowns and great architecture by the lake in general. I'm well aware though of where the region falls short beauty wise, having lived in California and South Africa. Personally though, I do find the 'dry look' of much of California off putting though.

I've never made it up to the Portland/Seattle stretch of it, but to me the Garden Route easily is more scenic than the Pacific Highway -

And the desert portions of California are easily beaten by New Mexico, Utah, and parts of Arizona.

Midwest wise, I feel Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota are the ones that compete best and perhaps in sections can compete well with states in New England, although having a far more transient fall and lacking true mountains is a knock against them (not all states in New England have true mountains though, although most have them closer.)

I'd say the best the Midwest achieves is competing fairly well with New England and its mix of water and some solid topography can make it a more compelling place than states like Kentucky. Also the great lakes are generally better for water sports and swimming during the warm months than the Pacific Ocean

Isnt the garden route mostly inland? Youre comparing apples to oranges if thats the case. Edit: im going through itineraries and a lot of people are skipping big chunks of the coast line on the garden route. That isnt typical on CA coastal trips.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
While everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the relative scenic attributes of different regions, I don't think it is constructive to throw shade at the state of Kentucky in a thread meant to highlight the natural beauty that exists in the Midwest. This is especially true in the context of a sentence that highlights "water" and "solid topography" - when the state features a variety of rivers and lakes/reservoirs, and has plenty of rugged, rolling countryside with caves, waterfalls and more. Kentucky is certainly compelling enough to draw a significant number of Midwest visitors to its outdoors, judging from license plates I've seen when visiting myself.

That aside, I would agree that the specific locations identified in the Midwest are very scenic and enjoyable to visit, especially in the warmer seasons.
I find Kentucky very scenic. But, it, like Pennsylvania, lacks a major water feature or a giant mountain, which allows some upper great lake states to compete with its generally superior topography!

Old 02-27-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Isnt the garden route mostly inland? Youre comparing apples to oranges if thats the case. Edit: im going through itineraries and a lot of people are skipping big chunks of the coast line on the garden route. That isnt typical on CA coastal trips.
It's about 40%/60% coastal versus inland. I've never driven all the way up to Oregon and Washington though, so I'm probably missing out. I've only really driven around San Diego (which I liked a lot) and the Bay Area (which I wasn't as keen on)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City