Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of These Cities Will Most Likely Boom With Growth, By 2030?
Raleigh, NC 67 44.67%
Tampa, FL 37 24.67%
Jacksonville, FL 24 16.00%
Richmond, VA 18 12.00%
Louisville, KY 5 3.33%
Memphis, TN 3 2.00%
Oklahoma City, OK 10 6.67%
Birmingham, AL 9 6.00%
Salt Lake City, UT 39 26.00%
Greenville, SC 26 17.33%
San Antonio, TX 32 21.33%
Other City? 25 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 01:00 PM

383 posts, read 511,877 times

Advertisements

Columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 03:10 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Lots of underestimating as usual for Jacksonville which has quietly exploded in commercial growth the past several years with a diversified base that includes healthcare, R&D, logistics and banking/financial services. https://jaxusa.org/

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shahid Khan (among others) are launching a series of downtown developments that are going to massively reshape downtown and the riverfront. https://1stdowntownjacksonville.com/

Old 04-23-2023, 07:38 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I don't get Raleigh being in this thread, it has been booming for a long time. OKC boomed in the 2005-2015 period, but I don't know if I see the oil industry being strong enough going forward to provide another boom.

SA, Tampa, and Jax are in the same category where they already have strong growth, but maybe not enough economic vibrancy to be "booming".
I think they remain on their positive trajectories, but I'm not sure if I see them becoming hubs for knowledge workers. Louisville, Richmond, and Birmingham theoretically have ingredients to "boom" but it hasn't happened, I tend to think that the appeal of "smaller but urban" cities is overrated by the city nerds on this forum.

I haven't been to Greenville but it sounds like it is booming, but it's a much smaller city than these others and would need a few decades to get in this conversation. Memphis needs work just to join that Louisville grouping.

Overall, SLC seems the best choice of these, other than Raleigh. It has a strong economic base and the state is starting to shed the Mormon dominance somewhat and that historically limited general appeal.

North of slc(closer to ogden) and around provo, im guessing.

Old 04-23-2023, 08:35 PM

1,066 posts, read 782,609 times
Established population centers of the Intermountain West will keep booming. Spokane, Boise, western Montana, SLC, Denver/CO Front Range, Albuquerque... These places have strong economies, great quality of life, moderate cost of living (esp. compared to coastal cities), amazing scenery/proximity to the outdoors. Most have surprisingly moderate climates. How much these places thrive depends largely on a willingness to embrace change and higher density.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:08 AM

325 posts, read 203,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
SA, Tampa, and Jax are in the same category where they already have strong growth, but maybe not enough economic vibrancy to be "booming".
I think they remain on their positive trajectories, but I'm not sure if I see them becoming hubs for knowledge workers. Louisville, Richmond, and Birmingham theoretically have ingredients to "boom" but it hasn't happened, I tend to think that the appeal of "smaller but urban" cities is overrated by the city nerds on this forum.
Yeah I agree with this for the most part. SA has been growing consistently (albeit at a pretty rapid pace) for a while now. I'm not too sure if it'll ever have a massive downtown boom like Austin or Nashville. The urban core was almost strictly a tourist spot for a long time, that's only started to change over the last 10 years. All the major HQs are big campuses out in the suburbs, even most of the offices are in 10-20 story buildings spread all over the north side. Had it all been centralized (like Austin) it would look very different.

I will say, it will be interesting to see how the next 10 or so years plays out. There's a lot of inbound migration from Austin/LA here and the lower cost of living + airport expansion could appeal to companies looking to relocate. Stiff competition in Texas though lol.

Old 04-24-2023, 06:24 AM

457 posts, read 348,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Established population centers of the Intermountain West will keep booming. Spokane, Boise, western Montana, SLC, Denver/CO Front Range, Albuquerque... These places have strong economies, great quality of life, moderate cost of living (esp. compared to coastal cities), amazing scenery/proximity to the outdoors. Most have surprisingly moderate climates. How much these places thrive depends largely on a willingness to embrace change and higher density.
I'm not saying it's doing bad, but I don't see any metric where Albuquerque is "booming". It seems to be a bit immune from the economic drivers benefitting the other MW cities.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:52 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Columbus?
I voted other city and I wanted to bring up Columbus, Ohio. I looked into its demographics over the weekend. Strong college educated population. An absurd amount of wealthy suburbs for how cheap the housing is. I think Columbus Ohio is going to book like crazy given how cheap it is. The only thing is westher and the fact that it’s in Ohio. It doesn’t get the Austin benefit of smart and wealthy suburban Dallas and Houston pour into the city for College and end ups taking which has actually done far more for the cities growth as a boomtown than the Californians moving in which are much smaller but are still an important ingredient. Michael Dell follows that story being from suburban Houston I want to say.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:28 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I chose Tampa, Raleigh, Jacksonville, SLC, and the write-in option which opens up for many more cities. I think Nashville and Austin but those have already been booming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Raleigh, Salt Lake City, and Tampa.
Maybe Greenville.

I think Charleston and Huntsville should be on the poll. And maybe Orlando since you included Tampa.
Also Savannah and Boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It confuses me why SLC isn't already booming. It's a relatively affordable alternative to the West Coast and Boise and sits fairly close to them; it has access to tons of mountains, ski slopes, and hiking trails; weather isn't too extreme at any point during the year; job market seems strong; and it has a surprisingly active LGBTQ+ and punk/indie/hipster scene alongside the parts of the culture more appealing to conservatives. Yet the population grew just 7.1% during the 2010s, only slightly above the national average and below cities like Minneapolis and Boston.

I voted for Richmond, Birmingham, and San Antonio, they all seem to be really taking off. I guess Raleigh is gonna continue to grow; feels weird to vote for it since North Carolina has been adding like a billion people a year forever.
The only potential harm to SLC's growth is if the GSL dries up as expected within the next 5 years.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
Yeah I agree with this for the most part. SA has been growing consistently (albeit at a pretty rapid pace) for a while now. I'm not too sure if it'll ever have a massive downtown boom like Austin or Nashville. The urban core was almost strictly a tourist spot for a long time, that's only started to change over the last 10 years. All the major HQs are big campuses out in the suburbs, even most of the offices are in 10-20 story buildings spread all over the north side. Had it all been centralized (like Austin) it would look very different.

I will say, it will be interesting to see how the next 10 or so years plays out. There's a lot of inbound migration from Austin/LA here and the lower cost of living + airport expansion could appeal to companies looking to relocate. Stiff competition in Texas though lol.
I'm generally skeptical of the "tech from Austin will spillover into San Antonio" idea. That hasn't even happened all that much from the Bay Area to Sacramento, so why would it happen from Austin to San Antonio?? For the most part I don't think the ingredients that fuel Austin's growth exist in San Antonio. SA has been following a different path and I think that will remain the case. Overall that is probably a good thing; there is no need for SA and Austin to be identical twins.

Old 04-24-2023, 03:58 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times
I voted Raleigh. It has planted all of the seeds to become a much more major city in the near to intermediate future. In fact, I could even see Raleigh become something of the new national “it” city (that’s it, not IT, though I’m sure Raleigh is making strides in tech as we speak. Currently it seems like Austin is the favorite golden child right now, but give it some time, I think that title is shifting rapidly. Raleigh would be on the short-list for the new fav. Raleigh has a great location and settings for growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City