Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 05:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
We focused a lot on Worcester county and the desirable towns like Westborough and Shrewsbury. We also liked what we saw when we drove through Westford, Chelmsford and Andover area. I liked Newton a lot but I don't think we could afford it.
Yeah, we love the Westford/Carlisle/Concord belt. It’s gorgeous. I actually thought about Westford for you initially, as it’s a fairly transient population, large lots, cheaper than towns south and southwest, and incredible schools. We moved there after we sold in Reading. Arguably our favorite place we’ve lived in.

And, we love Andover. I’ve said it on here too many times to mention - It’s such an idyllic place to raise a family, yet not totally void of comforts. Love the Main Street, and walkable neighborhoods around. Our budget was similar to yours, which is the only reason we elected Westford over Andover to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2023, 10:29 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting, as Newark is a college town that is home to the University of Delaware and isn’t that far from Wilmington, Philadelphia or Baltimore.

As for that part of NY, you may be more interested in places like Delmar/Bethlehem, Scotia, Ballston Spa or parts of Niskayuna near Schenectady’s Upper Union neighborhood/Old Niskayuna, among maybe a few others. That area of NY also has a growing tech scene(look up NY’s Tech Valley).
If you don’t mind smaller towns; Chatham, Schuylerville and Voorheesville are communities in that area with good schools as well.

If you don’t mind the mid Hudson Valley of NY, places such as Warwick, Cornwall, Washingtonville, Wappingers Falls and Rhinebeck are nice communities with good schools, among others in that part of NY.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:20 PM

179 posts, read 111,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yeah, we love the Westford/Carlisle/Concord belt. It’s gorgeous. I actually thought about Westford for you initially, as it’s a fairly transient population, large lots, cheaper than towns south and southwest, and incredible schools. We moved there after we sold in Reading. Arguably our favorite place we’ve lived in.

And, we love Andover. I’ve said it on here too many times to mention - It’s such an idyllic place to raise a family, yet not totally void of comforts. Love the Main Street, and walkable neighborhoods around. Our budget was similar to yours, which is the only reason we elected Westford over Andover to begin with.
It sounds amazing! Who knows, we may still end up there. Although, I'm really starting to feel like we need to be taking a closer look at PA and NJ. Everyone's answers on here have been super helpful in adjusting my mindset on this move. We may just say screw it and stick to our original plans though, I honestly feel like we could go either way at this point. My husband and I have a lot to talk about

Old 06-17-2023, 04:24 PM

179 posts, read 111,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you don’t mind smaller towns; Chatham, Schuylerville and Voorheesville are communities in that area with good schools as well.

If you don’t mind the mid Hudson Valley of NY, places such as Warwick, Cornwall, Washingtonville, Wappingers Falls and Rhinebeck are nice communities with good schools, among others in that part of NY.
I don't think we mind smaller towns, but Albany was a hard no for us. We actually seriously considered moving there because my husband got a job offer in that area some years back. We also explored Hudson since we have friends there, and that was a no-go too. We did like the Westchester County communities like Nyack, Tarrytown, Bedford, Pleasantville...but felt the home prices couldn't be justified since we didn't need to commute to NYC at all. It's worth taking a second look though. I really liked Pleasantville.

Old 06-17-2023, 06:33 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
I don't think we mind smaller towns, but Albany was a hard no for us. We actually seriously considered moving there because my husband got a job offer in that area some years back. We also explored Hudson since we have friends there, and that was a no-go too. We did like the Westchester County communities like Nyack, Tarrytown, Bedford, Pleasantville...but felt the home prices couldn't be justified since we didn't need to commute to NYC at all. It's worth taking a second look though. I really liked Pleasantville.
Interesting…Are you referring to Albany city proper or the area? That makes a difference, as Albany the city is only 21 square miles, but there are plenty of nice suburban areas in the metro area, as well as Saratoga Springs, a smaller city with very good schools and even nightlife/things to do. Plus, it is more affordable than Westchester County.

If you liked Pleasantville, I’d say to look at those communities with some walkability and good schools like those communities previously mentioned. Personally, I like that Ballston Spa is literally a 15-20 minute drive to Downtown Saratoga Springs and Scotia, another walkable village allows for east access into Downtown Schenectady just across the Mohawk River. Delmar just south of Albany in the very good Bethlehem SD is also not far from Downtown Albany.

https://www.saratoga.com/day-trips/ballston-spa/
https://maps.app.goo.gl/t4Y79KKs4PWUtBCQA?g_st=ic

https://www.elocallink.tv/m/v/player...o19_welREV_iwd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/65K1TNTCHRGm8Ja19?g_st=ic

Town that Delmar is in: https://www.townofbethlehem.org/432/Community-Profile
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AVb59mA75VLFD6dk9?g_st=ic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City