Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Los Angeles
Boston 140 51.28%
L.A. 133 48.72%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times

Advertisements

^^That's pretty sweet because I really want to move to Paris...I've never heard anything but amazing things about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,508 times
If it was San Francisco v. Boston now that would have been a contest, but Boston vs LA? East Coast wins that round easily...

Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
If it was San Francisco v. Boston now that would have been a contest, but Boston vs LA? East Coast wins that round easily...
Uh, I don't think so. Not with the winters they have in Boston. Having said that, I actually like cold weather but theirs, I don't really know if I could handle it. Boston is also a very expensive place in which to live. I bet people could come up with a lot of disadvantages for Boston. I'm not saying its a bad city but it doesn't make LA look like it can't compete.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
L.A. easily...I don't like Boston at all.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Uh, I don't think so. Not with the winters they have in Boston. Having said that, I actually like cold weather but theirs, I don't really know if I could handle it. Boston is also a very expensive place in which to live. I bet people could come up with a lot of disadvantages for Boston. I'm not saying its a bad city but it doesn't make LA look like it can't compete.
Yea there's no way you can say Los Angeles doesn't compete with Boston haha. I mean, as far as amentities, weather, etc, Los Angeles blows Boston out of the water. In fact, it blows Boston out of the water in most categories with the exception of central-core vibrancy, architecture, professional sports, crime, mass transit, and history. I suppose depending on your preference, you could say Boston has better streetscapes too.

Other than that, Los Angeles offers pretty much everything Boston does and more.

As for which people prefer? That's completely at the eye of the beholder.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I think that for me, LA is the better place to be because:

1. I grew up watching Magic Johnson and the Lakers. I was a big Laker fan for a lot of years. I know we lost to Boston in 2008, but if the Lakers and Celtics match up in the Finals in 2010, I think its going to be a Laker victory in 6 games. Kevein Garnett is a solid player that's true but he is not the Kevin Garnett of like 2004 for example. And Rasheed Wallace? He is no doubt the biggest jerk that the NBA has seen since maybe Dennis Rodman. Wallace usually complains to the referees and has a bad temper. He may be talented, but if he acts like a jerk, he could be an issue for the Celtics. I think the Lakers bench is also very solid. Lakers are just the better team. Too many great players, too much depth and with the addition of Ron Artest, the Lakers will be tough to beat.
Are you really attempting to question the Celtics' character since we added Rasheed Wallace? Yea he's a passionate dude, and he gets a bunch of technical fouls, but he's a great basketball player.

You say he's such a jerk that he could be an issue for Celtics, and then praise the addition of Ron Artest to the Lakers...yea he's a real class-act...

And there's no reason to think he will ever do anything to split the Lakers...
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/23971/63410_ap[domain blocked due to spam]_rockets_lakers_basketball.jpg (broken link)

Plus, Kobe's a rapist. It just proves you don't have to be a good person to be a good basketball player.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:13 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea there's no way you can say Los Angeles doesn't compete with Boston haha. I mean, as far as amentities, weather, etc, Los Angeles blows Boston out of the water. In fact, it blows Boston out of the water in most categories with the exception of central-core vibrancy, architecture, professional sports, crime, mass transit, and history. I suppose depending on your preference, you could say Boston has better streetscapes too.
C-D 2007 Crime Index
Boston: 523.9
LA: 356.8

Quote:
Plus, Kobe's a rapist. It just proves you don't have to be a good person to be a good basketball player.
I don't recall Kobe ever being convicted of rape. But I do recall some crazy sl*t who slept with at least 3 different guys in a 24 hour period making up some BS story to get money. If you want to believe some chick like that with no credibility then go ahead.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
C-D 2007 Crime Index
Boston: 523.9
LA: 356.8

I don't recall Kobe ever being convicted of rape. But I do recall some crazy sl*t who slept with at least 3 different guys in a 24 hour period making up some BS story to get money. If you want to believe some chick like that with no credibility then go ahead.
The Kobe thing was just a joke.

As far as crime goes, Los Angeles and Boston city propers have relatively similar violent crime rates while Boston has considerably higher property crime rate.

If you look at the Metro areas, Boston is much safer. In the Safest Cities Ranking by Forbes, Boston's violent crime ranking out of the 40 cities surveyed was 10th. Los Angeles was 21st.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM

721 posts, read 1,794,718 times
Boston. It has more character than L.A. When I was in L.A I got this strange feeling that it just wasn't real, and not in a good way.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:05 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City