Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I would prefer to live in the following city:
Houston 164 70.09%
Orlando 70 29.91%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Since I do not work at Disney, nor have an annual pass, I don't know how this statement can be true. Oh well, I'm going back to my life in Orlando now and will try to figure out how it relates to Disney World.

Agreed, that was the most inaccurate statement I have ever heard. personally never having been to disney for recreation so, poops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'm sure Orlando's a very fine place and I'd love to go and visit, but I have to give the nod to Houston. I would say the same thing about Houston and give my nod to Orlando

Everything is just plain bigger and better in Texas. If bigger always equals better than there are some serious catagories to consider where Orlando dwarfs Houston. IE: Things to do, the Space Program, proximity to the Ocean-not the gulf, no oil rigs, I could go on and on...

It's still one of the top places in America to do business, plus they've got renowned restaurants We are the top place in the WORLD to vacation in so I'm sure we can hang in the restaurant category as well

an efficient freeway system Okay you win, you have more roads

and they have two airportsWe have that too. I can fly internationally from Sanford without the hassles of a big airport. Oh and OIA is a wonderful airport that connects us to more domestic destinations than any other airport in the nation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
And it doesn't hurt that it's only 50 miles from the beach. They're almost equidistant from their respective beaches but you're joking right?? Florida's beaches are some of the best and most famous in the world and we are close to many not just one like Galveston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Houston
I was wondering when we would disagree on something.

It is fine to say Houston is bigger or has a higher population, concentration of fortune 500's, etc. Those are facts. But some of the things people on this forum state and accept as fact about Orlando are just off the wall false. You can count on me to point those out to you and refute Houston as being the automatic best based on size and actually combat that type of thinking with statements that make you say, "Oh man Orlando has that too."

Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
I prefer Orlando's location but it doesn't really feel like a city to me, although I would never want to live in a city (I prefer suburbs) it'd be nice to have one to go to once in a while.

With that said I choose Orlando, I have nothing against Houston but I love Orlando.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I prefer Orlando's location but it doesn't really feel like a city to me, although I would never want to live in a city (I prefer suburbs) it'd be nice to have one to go to once in a while.

With that said I choose Orlando, I have nothing against Houston but I love Orlando.
Orlando has a great downtown. And it has Miami a few hours away.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I was wondering when we would disagree on something.

It is fine to say Houston is bigger or has a higher population, concentration of fortune 500's, etc. Those are facts. But some of the things people on this forum state and accept as fact about Orlando are just off the wall false. You can count on me to point those out to you and refute Houston as being the automatic best based on size and actually combat that type of thinking with statements that make you say, "Oh man Orlando has that too."

Well Only reason and quote "ONLY" is the more cosmopolitan feel of the city. thats it. Orlando is home of course. I have done my research about Houston and the more I find out about it the more I do not want to move there anymore.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Well Only reason and quote "ONLY" is the more cosmopolitan feel of the city. thats it. Orlando is home of course. I have done my research about Houston and the more I find out about it the more I do not want to move there anymore.
It's all good man. In some instances I would rank Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas ahead of Orlando. I'm not just this pro-Orlando guy who thinks Orlando is the best place in the world and ignores the rest. Okay so I do love it a lot and throughly enjoy proving people who underrate it wrong. Trust me, I do business in Texas at least once a year and you probably don't want to live there if you love Florida as much as your posts and user name implies.

That being said, people act like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta are these super huge and undeniably superior cities like Chicago or NY. Truth is that they are light years behind those truly cosmopolitan cities and, for their size, are not that far ahead of places like Orlando & Tampa. I don't think size matters as much in a metro between 2-6 million. Once you get 7 million or more than it truly starts to play a much bigger impact on the VS. issue since you're in the true big leagues after that.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
It's all good man. In some instances I would rank Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas ahead of Orlando. I'm not just this pro-Orlando guy who thinks Orlando is the best place in the world and ignores the rest. Okay so I do love it a lot and throughly enjoy proving people who underrate it wrong. Trust me, I do business in Texas at least once a year and you probably don't want to live there if you love Florida as much as your posts and user name implies.

That being said, people act like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta are these super huge and undeniably superior cities like Chicago or NY. Truth is that they are light years behind those truly cosmopolitan cities and, for their size, are not that far ahead of places like Orlando & Tampa. I don't think size matters as much in a metro between 2-6 million. Once you get 7 million or more than it truly starts to play a much bigger impact on the VS. issue since you're in the true big leagues after that.
Truly understand. I was thinking that. For a month or so now I have been doing research on Houston and I'm starting to stay more towards my own city as I will take your opinion in hand as you have been to texas and I have not.

Your correct, everyone does throw Houston and Atlanta up in the booster seat, by far I was not impressed with Atlanta at all. There is nothing there that we dont already have hear.

Size truly does not matter, especially with Tampa near by so I can understand that.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me? Just one example: GDP. Houston's GDP is much closer to Chicago's than Orlando is to Houston. Houston is an economic giant, while Orlando is not. It may be the number one tourist destination, but Orlando's tier of cities include: San Antonio, Sacramento, Austin, Charlotte, etc. Definitely not up to par with Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or Miami. I doubt it will reach Houston and Dallas either as these cities weren't hit hard like Orlando. To think Orlando can compete with those cities is just false. It's like saying Houston and Dallas can compete with NYC and LA (though we do steal companies from these places).

Oh, and DFW is at 6.4 million and Houston is probably over six million by now. Both are larger than Metro Orlando and Metro Tampa combined. In what ways do you see Orlando and Tampa competing with Houston and Dallas, besides obvious things like conventions/tourists in Orlando, because I'm not seeing it.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Truly understand. I was thinking that. For a month or so now I have been doing research on Houston and I'm starting to stay more towards my own city as I will take your opinion in hand as you have been to texas and I have not. I have to be fair though and say that I watched a House Hunters episode last night on Houston (to satisfy my own urge to consider moving there) and it really had a great real estate & job market from what I could tell. The couple picked a sweet house in what looked like a very nice city of Houston neighborhood.

Your correct, everyone does throw Houston and Atlanta up in the booster seat, by far I was not impressed with Atlanta at all. There is nothing there that we dont already have hear. I love ATL and would seriously consider living there but what's with everyone acting like these cities are immense. They are slightly bigger downtown surrounded by mega sprawl, wow. I'll take 1/3 the size and 10x the fun & entertainment anyday.

Size truly does not matter, especially with Tampa near by so I can understand that. If we were under 2 million I might feel differently. We have an urban enough feel in downtown, and plenty of suburbs. Who needs 10-15 more miles of suburbs that extent past places like Sanford, or Clermont. Those are good stopping points for the suburbs. We have plenty of sprawl just like Houston just not 6 million people worth. That's how Dallas felt to me. A few more skyscrapers, larger airport, and then countless miles of boring suburbia bisected by obnoxious freeways. Houston is better than Dallas in that category though FYI.
We have the best of both worlds, smaller metro with big metro amenities. We do lack 3 of 4 major sports but hey like you said with Tampa nearby I think I'll manage. Plus thank god we have the NBA, hands down my favorite.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
We have the best of both worlds, smaller metro with big metro amenities. We do lack 3 of 4 major sports but hey like you said with Tampa nearby I think I'll manage. Plus thank god we have the NBA, hands down my favorite.
NBA is my favorite sport as well as I am a HUGE magic Fan and Amway Arena fan So I'm just fine without the other sports . heck we get Tampa and Jacksonville teams on our television so it doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City