Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest Name recognition:Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 365 57.94%
Houston 265 42.06%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times

Advertisements

^See, that's the thing. How in the world do you prove such claims.

My experience has been that Texas = Dallas to just about everyone I speak with. As far as Houston being much more recognized internationally, sorry but I'm not buying it.

Oh, and I just googled "busiest U.S. ports by tonnage" and every single link that came up - from the U.S. DOT to the Corps of Engineers, states that the Port of South Louisiana is the busiest.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM

For whatever it's worth, the poll here claims that Atlanta is substantially more well known, so I guess the answer is - ATLANTA.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:04 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

My experience has been that Texas = Dallas to just about everyone I speak with. As far as Houston being much more recognized internationally, sorry but I'm not buying it.

Oh, and I just googled "busiest U.S. ports by tonnage" and every single link that came up - from the U.S. DOT to the Corps of Engineers, states that the Port of South Louisiana is the busiest.
How do you prove that? Answer: you can't; people also know more about Houston than Dallas.

DUH!!! I didn't say Houston's was the busiest (it comes 2nd like I stated before) and its first in Foriegn Tonnage. (Again like I stated before)

Old 02-01-2009, 03:07 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,937 times
Quote:
For whatever it's worth, the poll here claims that Atlanta is substantially more well known, so I guess the answer is - ATLANTA.

The poll takes are based on people's opinion. Most of those people did'nt give facts for why they picked Atlanta.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

See that's the thing. How can you prove that people know more about Atlanta because of CNN? Because of what you heard from your trips overseas? Houstonians can say the same for NASA or the oil industry. Just going to go in circles because there is no real definitive answer.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
At this point it could be any city. However, you people from ATL need to realize Houston is more on a international level with its diversity, oil, ports, and NASA. It's the publicity that it lacks which too many people assumes automatically shots a city straight to stardom and world known. WRONG! ATL gets lots of publicity....on BET. It's marketed as a black city and if anyone disagrees with this than your blind.

Sure ya'll got the Olympics, but the fact that this argument continues to come up shows that it didn't do much for ATL's image.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM

You are absolutely right....it is probably a tie. However, some of you people from Houston need to realize that the average joe sixpack on the street has no clue about anything related to the TMC, the Port and your diversity - NONE! I'll give you NASA and oil.

This crap you keep repeating that the only publicity that Atlanta garners is this supposed black mecca conspiracy pushed by BET is laughable at best.

As far as the Olympics, how do you explain why Atlanta got them, but a larger city like Houston hasn't had the misfortune (in your obvious opinion)?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely right....it is probably a tie. However, some of you people from Houston need to realize that the average joe sixpack on the street has no clue about anything related to the TMC, the Port and your diversity - NONE! I'll give you NASA and oil.

This crap you keep repeating that the only publicity that Atlanta garners is this supposed black mecca conspiracy pushed by BET is laughable at best.

As far as the Olympics, how do you explain why Atlanta got them, but a larger city like Houston hasn't had the misfortune (in your obvious opinion)?
laughable my ass. You see nothing but black movies and hip hop music coming out Atlanta. Houston won't probably never get it until they expand public transit and beautify the city more (that is why we never get it). We don't expect everyone to know about TMC, but diversity is what makes the city international. You can't be a diverse city without some type of international recognition. Atlanta is a Black Mecca where you disagree or not, the US and the world see ATL as a black city. Listening to the media you'd never expect ATL to have such a mixture of ethnic groups.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM

^All that tells me is that perhaps it's time for some Houstonians to broaden thier horizons a little.

If all you listen to is hip hop, if all you ever watch is BET, Tyler Perry movies, etc. then of course you are going to buy into the black mecca hype.

It would seem that in this and many other threads you attempt to portray Atlanta as a one-dimensional black city. Not only does this cofirm without a shadow of a doubt that you have never set foot in the place, it also tells me that you have a very, very narrow world view.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
^All that tells me is that perhaps it's time for some Houstonians to broaden thier horizons a little.

If all you listen to is hip hop, if all you ever watch is BET, Tyler Perry movies, etc. then of course you are going to buy into the black mecca hype.

It would seem that in this and many other threads you attempt to portray Atlanta as a one-dimensional black city. Not only does this cofirm without a shadow of a doubt that you have never set foot in the place, it also tells me that you have a very, very narrow world view.
No it just goes to show how ATL is portrayed by the media. When did I say it was a one-dimensional black city??? I know ATL offers more things than just for blacks, but the way it is portrayed in TV makes me think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City