Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greatest Name recognition:Atlanta or Houston
Atlanta 365 57.94%
Houston 265 42.06%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:28 AM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
People as a whole don't want to be packed together. Any city in a developed country will sprawl out if given the opportunity.
You would think so. But apparently, according to some on these city-data forums, it is every americans dream to be packed together in the same vicinity with thousands of other americans like a cigarette in a cigarette box. According to these few, it should be my dream, since its everyone elses "american dream" to live in a tiny apartment just so I could live across the street from a starbucks or a pizza shop.
BTW, I voted Atlanta as having a bigger name recognition. I think what did it for Atlanta was the Olympics and how well they did. I also think that what helped Atlanta out is the fact that it is the only real known metro in GA. Whereas many people dont know that Houston is the fourth biggest city in the nation and when people think Texas, they think of Dallas as much as they think about Houston.

Last edited by wesside; 10-20-2008 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
It just makes good economic sense (for the most part) now a days to build out if you have plenty of space available like Atlanta.
Actually, sprawl creates vast inefficiencies as the level of investment needed for the extension of infrastructure far from the city center drastically raises with people in the denser areas basically subsidizing the infrastructure for people in less dense areas. Add fuel costs and time lost due to longer travel distances and you have even more inefficiency.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,439,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Actually, sprawl creates vast inefficiencies as the level of investment needed for the extension of infrastructure far from the city center drastically raises with people in the denser areas basically subsidizing the infrastructure for people in less dense areas. Add fuel costs and time lost due to longer travel distances and you have even more inefficiency.
All of that may be true. However, land for industry and homes is so much cheaper in the more undeveloped areas that the savings one gets exceeds the extra expenses gained by living further out. And money spent in the denser areas by people from the less denser areas does help to pay for the infrastructure.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:07 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta empress View Post
I'm foreign so I'll give you my perspective.

Coca Cola is internationally known but no one I know, knows that it is associated with Atlanta.

The Super Bowl doesn't give Houston an edge but everyone recognises "Houston we have a problem" and knows about NASA.

That said I would say in my part of the world people know about both cities equally well but would probably visit Atlanta first.

I agree But coke makes lots of brands that are in other countrys besides sprite etc if you ever get a chance to visit the coke museum you can taste different coke products from around the world like china africa etc. I mean both are equal in My eyes but i think Atlanta gets more media exposure than Houston And Draws way more tourist than houston so i dont know i throw my hands up in this one. I have been to Houston and i dont see any difference really its the same thing to me.

Last edited by atlantaATL; 01-31-2009 at 02:29 AM..

Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 AM

341 posts, read 1,338,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
Common...now...I know Houston has a ton to be proud of and all, but Atlanta is like the African American capital. even though Houston may have more Africans from Africa (I have no Idea) or from Nigeria (which in all fairness is the biggest country in Africa) Africans pay ALOT of attention to African Americans. Nigerians have a huge presence in the US most notable in NYC, Houston, DC area, Atlanta, and Dallas.

ainulineale ... Yeah but face it, the majority of the cities in the world are not the Northeast US.
You idea of a city obviously isn't the idea of the majority of the world... Just because i didn't list every city under a density with 5 billion doesn't invalidate my point.
Density and sprawl do have a correlation... and I'm sorry you don't like the way the south works, but instead of complaining about it you can try and fix it.
But who in the right mind would want to make their city denser with more skyscrapers to make it fell more 'city like'. In exchange you get a higher standard of living, no space (you live elbow to elbow), no pets... granted you might get a grocery store down your block but common it is a net LOSS. You can get by in the southern suburbia without a car believe it or not, and I mean out of downtown and whatnot...
I don't know why your quoting these statistics from 70 years ago when I wasn't try to use them but I have been to the north have you been to Beijing? Manila? Bangkok? Hyderabad?
sure you have a few dense cities but most of the dense cities are not created out of "OMG this would be so awesome if this place was densely populated". It was created out of "ehh... we're running out of space... TO THE SKIES!"
IE: Japan, Hong Kong, NYC, Shanghai, Singapore, the vast majority of western Europe...
While this may sound contradictory, many of these southern cities have dense areas too. I know there is this one area in Dallas that has a density of 35,000 per sq mi.

Nope, Atlanta has a much higher native born African population than Houston. I work in S.W. Atlanta and native African stores are sprouting up everywhere in SW from the West End down to East Point, especially in the Campbellton Rd corridor area. Matter of fact Clarkston, GA a suburb of Atlanta in Dekalb County has the highest number of Ethiopians outside of D.C. So wherever yall Texas folks got that one, you need to send it back. Texas has more Hispanics (for obvious reasons), and more Asians ( all though Atlanta is quickly catching up in that regard)

Native Africans watch BET to, they wanna come here just like everybody else.

As a single black male, the only city I would even think about living in other than Atlanta would be DC. You couldnt pay me to live in Houston

Old 01-31-2009, 12:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Nope, Atlanta has a much higher native born African population than Houston. I work in S.W. Atlanta and native African stores are sprouting up everywhere in SW from the West End down to East Point, especially in the Campbellton Rd corridor area. Matter of fact Clarkston, GA a suburb of Atlanta in Dekalb County has the highest number of Ethiopians outside of D.C. So wherever yall Texas folks got that one, you need to send it back. Texas has more Hispanics (for obvious reasons), and more Asians ( all though Atlanta is quickly catching up in that regard)

Native Africans watch BET to, they wanna come here just like everybody else.

As a single black male, the only city I would even think about living in other than Atlanta would be DC. You couldnt pay me to live in Houston
Atlanta's asian population is catching up to Texas's asian population???

Btw, Houston does have America's largest nigerian population. Texas have the third largest population.

Also as a single black male, I find it pretty sad you only limit yourself to two cities because of their african american population.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Atlanta's asian population is catching up to Texas's asian population???

Btw, Houston does have America's largest nigerian population. Texas have the third largest population.

Also as a single black male, I find it pretty sad you only limit yourself to two cities because of their african american population.

Man you dont live in Atlanta and you need to start doing more research on Atlanta. I mean I understand you have your opinions and you believe your opinions are right because a few forumers agree with you. If you take a close look at this forum there are tons of threads that are vs Atlanta. Evidentally Atlanta has some importance because it gets compared to every city on this forum. The question is are they doing it to see Atlanta get bashed or are they doing it because they Know Atlanta is a very progressive city . I cant say what houston or Texas has or what Houston or texas is all about or whats growing in the area because i dont live there the only way i would know is if i did research. So i wouldnt get on here and bash Houston or talk negative about it because i have not been there enough to get the whole experience. of what houston or texas is about I know people who hate it and i know people who love it .Same as Atlanta But i have noticed that the minute someone says how they feel about Atlanta and it is positive you come in and disagree. everyones experience is different so your statements arent valuable because its an opinion. so all this about you correcting peoples experiences and opinions really gets no where because at the end of the day your corrections are just your experiences are opinions
here is a lil information about the asian pop its kinda old but if i find something new ill post http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...21/story6.html

Old 01-31-2009, 11:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Who the hell brought this crap back up? Oh, I know who.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:49 PM

oh Lord here we go

Old 01-31-2009, 11:55 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Where are we going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City