Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Dallas is much more dense than Atlanta. Houston and Dallas are pretty much equal. Atlanta would be number three for sure. I have driven through Atlanta and i went through the enite urbanized area in 37 minutes. Dallas took an hour coming in form Oklahoma. It was 52 miles of urbanized area. I always caculate time and distance when I travel in urban areas. I have been through Atlanta twice on the way to D.C. Skyline was awesome but no better than Dallas' or Houston's.
You could drive through built up New York City faster than Houston or Dallas if it wasn't for the traffic so what's your point? (surely you don't think Dallas is bigger than New York?)

You guys keep pointing out that Dallas and Houston are a lot denser than Atlanta but statistics just don't back this up. I think folks from Dallas/Houston get confused when you see some of the single dwelling houses with big yards in Atlanta and automatically think low density but most Atlantans don't live in those houses (not on the more populated North and East sides anyway) most live in homes built more like row homes or townhomes, apartments or mid to highrise condominiums. On the North side it's mostly a few rich people that live in those houses with large yards.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
First of all that pic of Atlanta's skyline shows how small ATL's skyline was in the 70s compared to Dallas'. Also, what difference does it make in what type of rail it is. I don't think Marta trains go that much faster than DART trains. I have been on CTA in chicago which has heavy rail trains and those go MUCH slower than the DART trains. DART's system is new, clean and expanding. It's not as old as MARTA or in as established of neighborhoods yet but will be at some point in time. I would be curious to know what MARTA's rail ridership numbers were at the same age as what DART is now. Plus the way Dart is set up currently there is no way to accurately measure how many people are actually riding the trains they just go off estimates. Even with ridership estimated to be low the trains are large and packed most of the time. I don't know if the Dart numbers include the other forms of rail in the area as well or not.
Marta rail is just hella convenient in comparison to DART rail. I appreciate it more everytime I spend time in a city that is the same size or smaller than Metro Atlanta because in Atlanta thanks to Marta you can get to the really important places without a car a lot quicker and easier than you could in Dallas, Houston, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, etc. etc.rail

Old 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
You could drive through built up New York City faster than Houston or Dallas if it wasn't for the traffic so what's your point? (surely you don't think Dallas is bigger than New York?)

You guys keep pointing out that Dallas and Houston are a lot denser than Atlanta but statistics just don't back this up. I think folks from Dallas/Houston get confused when you see some of the single dwelling houses with big yards in Atlanta and automatically think low density but most Atlantans don't live in those houses (not on the more populated North and East sides anyway) most live in homes built more like row homes or townhomes, apartments or mid to highrise condominiums. On the North side it's mostly a few rich people that live in those houses with large yards.
Houston and Dallas is a tough one to read when gauging people/sq mile because both cities have large areas of unpopulated developed and undevelopable land that Atlanta simply doesn't have in its city limits. Atlantas relatively small city limit square mileage works in its favor in this category. I think Houston and Dallas are both more densely developed than Atlanta maybe not more densely populated. Theres a difference in the two meanings.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:

Dallas and Houston are built and structured more densely than Atlanta. When you factor in the mile radius around the core of the cities and the urban area populations; it backs up that statement. Inner Loop Houston has a larger population than the entire city of Atlanta in under 100 sq miles.

Fact:

Quote:
So here is the ranking at 25 miles: In Millions

1 - NYC 13.6
2 - LA 9.5
3 - Chicago 5.9
4 - Philadelphia 4.5
5 - DC 4.1
6 - Houston 3.7
7 - Detroit 3.6
8 - DFW 3.6
9 - Boston 3.4
10 - Miami 3.3
11 - Atlanta 3.1
12 - SF 2.5

And again at 50 miles: In Millions

1 - NYC 18.2
2 - LA 13.9
3 - Chicago 8.9
4 - Philadelphia 7.4
5 - DC 7.0
6 - Boston 6.5
7 - SF 6.2
8 - DFW 5.1
9 - Detroit 4.9
10 - Houston 4.6
11 - Miami 4.3
12 - Atlanta 4.3

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...opulation.html

Old 08-18-2011, 08:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:

You guys keep pointing out that Dallas and Houston are a lot denser than Atlanta but statistics just don't back this up.
I would not say A lot Dense, But they are certainly Denser.

Houston has over 4.1M People in its core County. Last I checked ATL got to 3M in 3000 sq miles. So um, the statistics do back it up.

I will give you that ATL has more dense outer counties.
Anyway, why did you bring up Houston?? It does not help your argument and this thread is not about Houston. Leave us out of it..

Old 08-18-2011, 09:25 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I would not say A lot Dense, But they are certainly Denser.

Houston has over 4.1M People in its core County. Last I checked ATL got to 3M in 3000 sq miles. So um, the statistics do back it up.

I will give you that ATL has more dense outer counties.
Anyway, why did you bring up Houston?? It does not help your argument and this thread is not about Houston. Leave us out of it..
I wouldnt say the outer counties in ATL are more densely developed than the counties around Dallas County. Areas like Plano, Arlington, etc are packed in.

As for Houston, Harris county is so huge so most of the development is within it. I think Harris county is around the size of Dallas & Tarrant combined.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:57 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Houston has over 4.1M People in its core County.
That is 1729 square miles...

Quote:
Last I checked ATL got to 3M in 3000 sq miles. So um, the statistics do back it up.
Where in the world is this number coming from?

The UA in 2000 was 1900 square miles and had 3.5 million. Unless there was some sort of massive exodus of people in the last 10 years then, wait, you added another 1000 square miles from somewhere? Yeah, I'm just confused.

Anyway, there is really no point in arguing Dallas or Houston are more dense than Atlanta because it isn't an apples and oranges comparison. Metro Atlanta developed much differently than Dallas or Houston. Atlanta's development is concentrated in the core then spreads out like spider legs along the highways more typical of metros in the east. Houston and Dallas are more typical of other Western and Midwestern cities and just spread out from the center. There really is no point in arguing if one is better than the other.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Where in the world is this number coming from?

The UA in 2000 was 1900 square miles and had 3.5 million. Unless there was some sort of massive exodus of people in the last 10 years then, wait, you added another 1000 square miles from somewhere? Yeah, I'm just confused.

Anyway, there is really no point in arguing Dallas or Houston are more dense than Atlanta because it isn't an apples and oranges comparison. Metro Atlanta developed much differently than Dallas or Houston. Atlanta's development is concentrated in the core then spreads out like spider legs along the highways more typical of metros in the east. Houston and Dallas are more typical of other Western and Midwestern cities and just spread out from the center. There really is no point in arguing if one is better than the other.
Houston spreads from the center but has a more populated and dense core than Atlanta??? You're far-fetched descriptions of Atlanta never reflect any type of proof or statistics.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I wouldnt say the outer counties in ATL are more densely developed than the counties around Dallas County. Areas like Plano, Arlington, etc are packed in.

As for Houston, Harris county is so huge so most of the development is within it. I think Harris county is around the size of Dallas & Tarrant combined.
so??? You still need a bigger area to garner as many people. Anyway, your war is with ATL, I said ATL's outer burbs may be more packed than Houstons, never said DFW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
yeah, but how many other southern cities have that many people in that land area??

Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Houston spreads from the center but has a more populated and dense core than Atlanta??? You're far-fetched descriptions of Atlanta never reflect any type of proof or statistics.
When did i state that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City