Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Third-World City of America
East St. Louis, Illinois 53 24.20%
Camden, New Jersey 36 16.44%
Gary, Indiana 56 25.57%
Detroit, Michigan 51 23.29%
Prichard, Alabama 10 4.57%
Harveyville, Illinois 3 1.37%
Strongsville, Ohio 1 0.46%
Bessemer, Alabama 9 4.11%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times

Advertisements

Sorry OP but I've never heard of Harveyville, IL. Did you mean Harvey, IL a south suburb of Chicago? If so, my vote is for both Harvey and East St. Louis. Per capita Harvey has a higher crime rate than Camden, NJ. Harvey has always been the eyesore of Chicago suburbs along with Maywood, Chicago Heights, and North Chicago just to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 11:53 AM

937 posts, read 864,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Sorry OP but I've never heard of Harveyville, IL. Did you mean Harvey, IL a south suburb of Chicago?
Oops. Yeah, I meant Harvey, Illinois.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:56 AM

334 posts, read 1,268,854 times
Why is strongsville on hear you ***? I grew up there and I liked it very much. In fact why is any city on here you elistist **** ? If you would open up your eyes and go to an actual third world country you would Moderator cut: please don't be insulting. I'm tired of people trashing Detroit, LA and other cities when they are just based on what other people say. I vote for other: as in the place where you live.

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-20-2008 at 05:21 AM..

Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
What seems third-world like is very subjective. Some take the third-world comparison too far.

From my experiences, parts of New Orleans (pre-Katrina), Native Amercian reservations in the Upper Midwest, parts of Las Vegas, and the economically-depressed areas of the South have a third-world feel. Even with a number of these places, they are still better than third world countries even though the above mentioned areas are filthy, poorly planned (from a zoning standpoint), apathy-filled, and economically challenged.

There are some wealthy areas that are nice, but I may criticize due to these areas being too spread out, snooty, clickish, and overly opulent (why does a person need to spend $1 million on a house when a $200,000 to $400,000 house is just as functional and is decent-decent house in my area is in the $140,000 to $200,000 range and is still comfortable). Another criticism is why some in the drier climates insist on having green lawns or grass breeds that are too water intesive.

The bowls of poverty to me is sickening, but the excesses of the rich also bother me. A happy medium of well-kept areas that are functional and community oriented is sensible. Poverty needs to be addressed, but will take a bipartisan effort with encouraging a solid work ethic along with investing resources into bettering the education, infrastructure, economic opportunites, and law enforcement to combat crime. Lack of education, lack of economic opportunites, and crappy infrastructure feeds into proverty and missed opportunities. Poverty often breeds crime due to despiration.

I simply do not like the idea of having either the very rich and the poor and no in between. The middle class is the backbone of the country and provides a necessary balance between the poor and the rich. Enough said.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Why is strongsville on hear you ***? I grew up there and I liked it very much. In fact why is any city on here you elistist **** ? If you would open up your eyes and go to an actual third world country you would . I'm tired of people trashing Detroit, LA and other cities when they are just based on what other people say. I vote for other: as in the place where you live.
First off, I live in Chevy Chase, Maryland. No eerie feeling there. LOL, and FYI, I have been to a third-world country. If you have traveled to Maymar, it's like going through a ghost town. Overcrowded slums, polluted water, and a severely outdated infrastructure. If you have traveled to one of these cities, it would have a certain "third-world" feel. Not to be so biased and hypocritical. You have a nice day, lad.

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-20-2008 at 05:21 AM..

Old 07-19-2008, 01:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
HELLO! The city that is 100% 3rd world isn't even on your list. Can someone say MIAMI. M.I.A.M.I.

Welcome to Little Havana, Little Haiti, NMB, Opa-Locka! LOL!!
You forgot Coral Gables ,Miami Lakes ,Miami Shores,Miami Springs,North Miami,South Miami,Miami Beach,West Miami,Doral,Brickell area and Key Biscayne these areas are definitely Third-world

Old 07-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Strongsville should not be on the list. If you have ever been there, it is actually a wealthy suburb of Cleveland. You should replace it with Buffalo County, South Dakota or Jackson, Mississippi.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I don't like to bash it because I try to have a good attitude about living here, but Little Rock, AR is easily the most third world city in America. It has very nice parts, but the entire city is either very affluent or very poor/ghetto. Nearly 100% of the middle class live in the suburbs, which here are very spread out (exurban in style) sprawling as much as much a 30 miles from downtown (while maintaining low density). The city population is only about 180,000, but the metro population is about 650,000.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
El Paso. Replete with latin American style shanty towns, poverty, sand and dust. Possibly the crappiest place in America.

Although I haven't been there, from what I've heard Brownsville TX is almost as bad.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
On the list, I chose Gary. In reality, El Paso. I keep waiting for it to be swallowed up by Ciudad Juarez on the "other side". Bessemer, Alabama isn't bad enough to be on the list. I had some of the best BBQ of my life in Bessemer at the Bob Sykes restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City