Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city of the three would you choose?
Asheville, North Carolina 22 31.88%
Denver, Colorado 19 27.54%
Seattle, Washington 28 40.58%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
The only things I like about Asheville are the Biltmore Estate and the Mountains. the city of Asheville is too full of itself for my taste, and I find that with the city of Seattle as well. Both nice places, but there are too many citizens in both places who seem to think they are better than the rest of the country. I picked Denver because I find that most people there are friendly and down to earth, plus the location.
As much as I like Asheville, I have to agree with you. I've found the same to be true of Seattle. And, like you, I've found the people of Denver to be wonderfully down to earth and regular joe schmoes (that doesn't apply to Boulder, of course).

I would still probably pick Asheville just because I like the fact that the city is right smack in the middle of the mountains. I mean the entire city is mountainous and very hilly. And I like the weather in Asheville better, the amazingly beautiful, stark differences in the 4 seasons. But I agree with you that many of the people in Asheville (particularly the ones who have moved there from somewhere else) seem to be pretty full of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Asheville isn't bad. I'm merely stating my opinion. But suggesting western mountains are somehow unusable and unseen is just flat out absurd. I ski in Colorado, Utah, Lake Tahoe, and Oregon. The mountains are fun in winter and spectacular in the summer for hiking and viewing. The hills of the east are ok to look at in the fall, but depressing in the winter when they lose their leaves. Plus no skiing or freshwater mountain lakes. Not impressed.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 PM

456 posts, read 1,577,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think its more beautiful, too. At least in Asheville, you can see the scenery, unlike Seattle which is constantly under clouds and Denver's amazing scenery is too far away to enjoy, unlike Asheville's, which is right outside its door.

"West Coast standards" my arse. What is that exactly? Mountains that are too high to enjoy? Buried under 300" of snow? Not visible because of smog and/or rain clouds all the time? Not enjoyable because of strong winds and rampaging forest fires? Not to mention the dangerous wildlife. Get real.
You can still see amazing scenery in Denver.

Let me gaze out my office window right now..yep. Killer view of the Rockies.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
So I have been to all three. They are all great places to visit. Now to live that is a trickier question.

Seattle would be my top pick if it wasn't so gloomy for most of the year. As its so green (hence why its gloomy rainy), the river sound with the boats on the water, close to the mountains, the year round temp is rarely hot, and it has jobs for different people.

Denver is a great city, lots of sun, snow, great job opportunities, close to the mountains. But its brown most of the year and doesn't have many trees its prairie land mostly.

Asheville, very cute town, but it is small. The vibe is great, very green, in the mountains, it doesn't have the amenities of a larger city and it doesn't have a huge number of job opportunities.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Asheville isn't bad. I'm merely stating my opinion. But suggesting western mountains are somehow unusable and unseen is just flat out absurd. I ski in Colorado, Utah, Lake Tahoe, and Oregon. The mountains are fun in winter and spectacular in the summer for hiking and viewing. The hills of the east are ok to look at in the fall, but depressing in the winter when they lose their leaves. Plus no skiing or freshwater mountain lakes. Not impressed.
What are you talking about? No skiing or freshwater mountain lakes near Asheville? Where on earth did you get that idea?

Lake Lure:

Fontana Lake:

http://www.fontanatrace.com/images/gallery/1_1.jpg (broken link)

Lake Glenville:

Lake Santeetlah:

Lake Toxaway:

Beech Mountain:

Banner Elk:

http://www.askwatauga.com/Businesses/hummingbirdLodge/images/nc_sugar.jpg (broken link)

Sugar Mountain:

Scaly Mountain:

Pics taken from Google Images.

And while I know NC's ski resorts are nothing like what CO has, there's no need to lie and say NC has no skiing whatsoever.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:56 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Great Post JMT! I have to say there are some awesome lakes in NC.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:47 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,002 times
I would choose Asheville. I've been there a few times. Denver is too cold and snowy for me. Seattle is too rainy. I'm sure they're great places to visit and even live, if that's a person's choice, but they're not for me.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Love the pictures JMT!!!!!!! Oh how I long to be there!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
You can still see amazing scenery in Denver.

Let me gaze out my office window right now..yep. Killer view of the Rockies.
Kinda, sorta. IMO, you dont get stellar views until you get to Estes Park.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:13 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Love the pictures JMT!!!!!!! Oh how I long to be there!!!!!!
Agreed. Great pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City