Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 PM

40 posts, read 96,672 times

Advertisements

I think that La and NYC are way overrated. Chicago is definetly the best out of the three. I have been to both and didn't like them one bit. I live in chicago and love it. I just brought a 4 bedroom enormous house About an hour away from the city. In chicago we get everything that NYC And La Have to offer plus even more. I would Love to hear someone from Ny or La say that they have beaches in their citys, but they dont, chicagos the only one that does. In chicago, you dont have to drive an hour just to get to nice beaches like you do in NYC or La. In chicago, you dont have to work your butt off everyday and night just to pay rent or mortgage like you do in NYC and La. IN chicago the toll is maximum 1$ compard to Ny And LA's 10.00$ tolls. In chicago you can get a mansion in a nice suburb within an hours drive to the city For very Cheap 350,000$ cheap, You cant get that in NYC or La. I hate when ppl work all day and night and when you ask them what they're getting out of it, they say they do it to say they live in NYc or LA. Which City Would you prefer to live in? NYC LA, OR, chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM

161 posts, read 411,967 times
Default Things are changing...

I have to say if money were no object I am afraid NYC is in fact better. LA though I have never understood why people live there that aren't movie stars. By moving there you basically enter someone else's dream and get to play an extra in your own life.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,602 times
Depends....

LakeForest is more costly than NYC's most elite suburb, Greenwich

BeverlyHills is far more costly than LF, but most offices are a 10min commute from BH, unlike LF where nearly all jobs are in Loop, a 45-75min drive, often in crappy weather in a non-perf Mercedes w/girlie winter tires/wheels

BH is a playground for affluent w/immense talent imported from all over US and RoW...that's much of why so many wealthy guys from Chic, SiliconValley, NYC, etc have wkend houses in BH

And LA's nr-perfect weather/topography allow one to enjoy daily commuting to office or, on wkends, hitting Malibu canyons' twisty roads in an interesting perf car like a new 65 or 599....stuff not poss in NYC or Chic, even if a billionaire....

Old 01-25-2009, 05:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Depends....

BeverlyHills is far more costly than LF, but most offices are a 10min commute from BH, unlike LF where nearly all jobs are in Loop, a 45-75min drive, often in crappy weather in a non-perf Mercedes w/girlie winter tires/wheels

BH is a playground for affluent w/immense talent imported from all over US and RoW...that's much of why so many wealthy guys from Chic, SiliconValley, NYC, etc have wkend houses in BH

And LA's nr-perfect weather/topography allow one to enjoy daily commuting to office or, on wkends, hitting Malibu canyons' twisty roads in an interesting perf car like a new 65 or 599....stuff not poss in NYC or Chic, even if a billionaire....
At the very least, you could have taken the time to spell out the words you abbreviated. Do you have any idea how annoying it is to have to read the BS you typed? Spell out your words like an adult.

Beverly Hills is not an awesome place to live. Nor is Malibu. Malibu is a fire hazard waiting to happen, on a coast that is rapidly disappearing. Beverly Hills is not all ultra-wealthy homes, despite whatever you may have heard. It's got its share of poor people as well.

I don't know what you actually know of LA's "nr-perfect" weather/topography (do you understand how stupid it makes you look, to exclude two extra letters?) in "perf" cars (stupid, stupid, stupid). But as someone who lived in LA, let me tell you, the overwhelming majority of the scenery consists of highways, parched brown land and highways. Mile after mile after unbelievable mile of suburban sprawl so poorly planned you randomly hit an office building in the middle of a "neighborhood". Mile after mile after mile after dozens and dozens of miles of shabby buildings that no one can afford to upkeep, baking in the sun in winter and... well, baking in the sun in summer. Greenery remarkable only for its extreme paucity. Brown is the color you see everywhere, brown and tan.

As for these "perf" cars, most people in California are too poor to afford "perf" cars. They drive hulking SUVs if they can afford them or some terrible POS foreign car that's supposed to be better because it's foreign. Having had more problems with foreign cars than I can name, I have issues with this aspect of coastal elitism, but moving on. Broken down cars on broken roads with broken buildings, broken infrastructure and now... a broken state that can't afford itself anymore. How would you like it if California withheld a significant amount of income it owed you because it just couldn't afford to pay you? God forbid California ever have to cut the innumerable special programs that flush money away on illegal immigrants or the special-needs Hispanic community.

Also, earthquakes. So there.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,251,065 times
This has already been debated many times, so you can also search this forum to see what other people have said previously

Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,166,306 times
You have to drive a long way to get to the beach in NYC & LA? Hmmmm! NYC & LA have beaches in their city limits.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,814 times
I have never seen a $10.00 toll in LA. Of course, I haven't seen everything, but did live in Southern California for about 7 years. Most tolls are just shortcuts, and they are just alternatives to the long way.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 26,233 times
LA absolutely sucks...it is the worst place i have ever lived by far...Chicago is much nicer than LA and nicer than NYC as well. There is trash and graffiti everywhere in LA. You dont want to drive to the grocery store or mall b/c it will take you 45 minutes because of the traffic. You have people from every freakin country in the world except america. As far as the toll thing goes there arent many tolls there was a 5 dollar one in OC but i never used the toll roads. Chicago and NYC are much more convenient b/c most stuff is accessible by public transit. LA is the worst place in california but the most glamorized. As far as beverly hills it is nice but its surrounded by crap and extremely expensive.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:49 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
I like New York City, and think it's a wonderful place to live except for: (1) It's too expensive for my income level, and (2) it's quite far from where most of my family lives. But, if I suddenly came into more money and my family moved out east, I'd live in NYC without hesitation.

Parts of the L.A. area are quite nice. I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like Santa Monica, for instance.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,774,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Depends....

First of all, people in NYC or Chicago don't have weekend houses in Beverly Hills. Who fed you that misinformation? It's actually the other way around, many BHers have condos in NY. Beverly Hills is irrelevant (and so 1990) and not even remotely a "playground" since 90% people there are full time residents. It's all about the French Riviera or Monaco. A vacation home in LA is an oxymoron and I find the concept slightly amusing. People who live in BH have weekend houses in Malibu or Santa Barbara. People with $$ leave dumpy, smoggy LA for weekend, not go into it.

New Yorkers have vacation houses in The Hamptons and Palm Beach, or in rarer instances, South France or Italy. I've worked with hundreds of multi-millionaires and have never run across a NYer with a vacation home in Beverly Hills. How silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawksfan102 View Post
I think that La and NYC are way overrated. Chicago is definetly the best out of the three. I have been to both and didn't like them one bit. I live in chicago and love it. I just brought a 4 bedroom enormous house About an hour away from the city. In chicago we get everything that NYC And La Have to offer plus even more. I would Love to hear someone from Ny or La say that they have beaches in their citys, but they dont, chicagos the only one that does. In chicago, you dont have to drive an hour just to get to nice beaches like you do in NYC or La. In chicago, you dont have to work your butt off everyday and night just to pay rent or mortgage like you do in NYC and La. IN chicago the toll is maximum 1$ compard to Ny And LA's 10.00$ tolls. In chicago you can get a mansion in a nice suburb within an hours drive to the city For very Cheap 350,000$ cheap, You cant get that in NYC or La. I hate when ppl work all day and night and when you ask them what they're getting out of it, they say they do it to say they live in NYc or LA. Which City Would you prefer to live in? NYC LA, OR, chicago
Chicago is not "definitely" the best out of the three. That's YOUR opinion.

Last edited by Americanboy; 01-26-2009 at 12:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City