Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 01:05 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
I just had to laugh about that one. Plus the public transportation in Houston seems like a joke.
Yeah I agree. It would be nice to have more public transportation in Houston. In America the public transportation sucks everywhere except NYC and San Francisco. These two cities are definitely the exception and not the rule. In America everybody likes to drive so public transportation is almost non-existent. Everywhere but the two cities I mentioned above public transportation is almost exclusively used by the poor people. They kind of have to use it since they don't own cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I agree. It would be nice to have more public transportation in Houston. In America the public transportation sucks everywhere except NYC and San Francisco. These two cities are definitely the exception and not the rule. In America everybody likes to drive so public transportation is almost non-existent. Everywhere but the two cities I mentioned above public transportation is almost exclusively used by the poor people. They kind of have to use it since they don't own cars.
Chicago has great public tranportation too.

This is the one area that Houston needs to improve in. I would love to see a rather extensive light rail that goes all arounf the inner loop as well as lines that go to the suburbs

Old 03-08-2009, 01:32 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post

This is the one area that Houston needs to improve in. I would love to see a rather extensive light rail that goes all arounf the inner loop as well as lines that go to the suburbs
Yeah it's going to be a long time before Houston has an extensive rail system. A few years back when Houstonians voted on a proposal to extend the light rail when I went to vote I read the little paragraph that was printed. I live in the Clear Lake area and even going out to 2025 they're not going to extend it to the Clear Lake area. It seems the suburbs are way down the priority list.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:59 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Only NYC and San Francisco? Other American cities where public transportation doesn't "suck": Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, L.A., and undoubtedly others that I'm not as familiar with.

The perception that public transit is only for poor people who can't afford a car is THE REASON for the attitudes toward expansion and funding in the U.S. Fortunately, more and more people are learning that public transit benefits the entire public - not just one particular group.

I'm sure that in all of the cities I mentioned there are thousands of regular/daily transit users who are not poor.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:

So does DC and Boston.

NYC, DC, San Fran, Chicago, and Boston (in this order, in my opinion), have the best transit systems in America. LA is good, too. Other cities that are a step below the ones I mentioned (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Portland) have respectable systems.

Quote:
Yeah it's going to be a long time before Houston has an extensive rail system. A few years back when Houstonians voted on a proposal to extend the light rail when I went to vote I read the little paragraph that was printed. I live in the Clear Lake area and even going out to 2025 they're not going to extend it to the Clear Lake area. It seems the suburbs are way down the priority list.
You sure you read it right? There is going to be a Houston-Galveston commuter rail line in the next few years that will have a stop in Clear Lake.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:

Like I said in previous other posts numerous times. I believe Houston should look into heavy rail at some time in the future. Light Rail and Heavy rail in a city can coexist. I think Houston's density is creasing especially inside the loop and the population is big enough to support a heavy rail system. Right now, what Houston is building is nothing but a modern version of a streetcar system or trolley system that San Francisco has.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Agreed.

I'm disappointed in the trains that METRO is deciding to use for these new lines. They should have stick to the ones we have on the Red Line. It's not like they can't upgrade them though, so it's not the end of the world. The new trains also hold more people. That, and commuter rail is coming online. Heavy rail can wait for now, though it'd definitely work Inside the Loop (maybe even Inside the Beltway).

Old 03-08-2009, 01:45 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
So does DC and Boston.

NYC, DC, San Fran, Chicago, and Boston (in this order, in my opinion), have the best transit systems in America. LA is good, too. Other cities that are a step below the ones I mentioned (Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Portland) have respectable systems.

You sure you read it right? There is going to be a Houston-Galveston commuter rail line in the next few years that will have a stop in Clear Lake.
Houston dallas Denver portland are a step behind Atlanta Philadelphia

Old 03-08-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I don't think so.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post

I agree, especially Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City