Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Incorrect, I live in New York and there are uninspiring buildings in the skyline. Sorry, but thats the truth and if you disagree thats fine, but you are just blind to the faults of NYC skyline.

Different styles? You mean NYC has more buildings that look different? Well you're correct there since NYC has more buildings that Chicago.
im not saying there are no uninspiring buildings in the skylin im saying that to say that chicago has more inspiring buildings when it doesnt is incorrect. Are you from here and how long have you been living here cause ive lived in manhattan all my life and have been all around the it and have yet to see how chicago has better buildings. Maybe you are just blind to the wannabe chicago. Yes The ESB was made in the 1930s but took you guys long enough to even reach our level. We have been getting new buildings maybe your just blind or uninformed. Our faults, every poll i visit about skylines NYC always beats chicago no doubt. If we keep wining its obvious were doing something right. We are entering new depths. If the economy smooths out in the next couple of years we may see about 30 supertalls (buildings 1000+ft) in NYC. Way more than chicago can ever dream of all with innovative designs.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
im not saying there are no uninspiring buildings in the skylin im saying that to say that chicago has more inspiring buildings when it doesnt is incorrect. Are you from here and how long have you been living here cause ive lived in manhattan all my life and have been all around the it and have yet to see how chicago has better buildings. Maybe you are just blind to the wannabe chicago. Yes The ESB was made in the 1930s but took you guys long enough to even reach our level. We have been getting new buildings maybe your just blind or uninformed. Our faults, every poll i visit about skylines NYC always beats chicago no doubt. If we keep wining its obvious were doing something right. We are entering new depths. If the economy smooths out in the next couple of years we may see about 30 supertalls (buildings 1000+ft) in NYC. Way more than chicago can ever dream of all with innovative designs.
This response skews my original argument which has always been that Chicago has the best collection of buildings pound for pound. So if NYC is Muhammad Ali, Chicago is Sugar Ray Robinson.

I know NYC is getting new buildings. I know they win opinion polls so you are just regurgitating whats been said on this forum many times. Also im honored you think Chicago has finally reached NYC level; in fact im surprised you would actually admit to a statement like that. Either way I think Chicago runs to its own beat so the arguments is lost.

And if you must know I've lived in Chicago for 5 years, and just coming up on 4 years in NYC. You've lived in NYC your whole life, so maybe im just less biased in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Chicago has a very diverse mix of buildings. It's skyline changes due to architectural style, height, color, cladding, etc. It's really a unique skyline. It's massive in its own sense and it really defines the city.

NYC has some great skyscrapers but a lot of its buildings are really bland and just run of the mill. Pound for pound Chicago has a much, much better skyline.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 AM

5 posts, read 39,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Sears Tower has been the tallest building in this country for over 30 years now. It was the standard against what all supertalls would set their sights on. It has been featured in dozens of movies, including the successful Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Dark Knight. Now, please, dont think for a second that I dont think the ESB is not recognizable, because it most definitely is. However, give its rather featureless first 70 floors, its design doesnt really stand out (like the Chrysler building). But the Sears Tower's twin antenna and step-like sides are instantly recognizeable.
Well, American Institute of Architects named Empire State as the most favorite buidling in America. List of America's Favorite Architecture according to the AIA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to that list Chrysler Building and even your own Tribune Tower surpasses Sears in fame which is number 42 on that list.

American Association of Civil Engineers named Empire State one of the modern Seventh Wonders Wonders of the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Empire State has been officially recognized as National Landmark since 1986. Empire State Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sears Tower does not bear that designation at all.

What does it take for you guys to face the facts that outside of Chicago nobody really cares for Sears or Hancock that much? You may have your own opinion about value of Sears but when we talk about general sentiment there is a hard data to support the claim that Empire State easily beats Sears and any other building in the nation for that matter? Can't you deal with facts?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:09 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
The Sears Tower has been the tallest building in this country for over 30 years now. It was the standard against what all supertalls would set their sights on. It has been featured in dozens of movies, including the successful Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Dark Knight. Now, please, dont think for a second that I dont think the ESB is not recognizable, because it most definitely is. However, give its rather featureless first 70 floors, its design doesnt really stand out (like the Chrysler building). But the Sears Tower's twin antenna and step-like sides are instantly recognizeable.
Wow Stevo - are you actually saying that the Sears tower is more recognizeable than the Empire State building? I am kind of perplexed because I usually agree with you.

Or the Empire State is less "featureful" than the modern Sears? Quite frankly IMHO alot of the more modern "international" style" buildings are just a cheap way for builders to save money on artistic detailing.

The old saying "they don't build em like they used to" could certainly be used for some to critique the Sears (or the JH Center & the former Twins).

Also if the Sears has been in dozens of movies - then what about the Empire State? I certainly would not want to bet on Ferris Buellers over King Kong!

Last edited by LINative; 02-02-2009 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: spelled Buellers wrong

Old 02-02-2009, 08:08 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Empire is certainly more recognized. I say that without a doubt.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_meet_west View Post
Well, American Institute of Architects named Empire State as the most favorite buidling in America. List of America's Favorite Architecture according to the AIA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to that list Chrysler Building and even your own Tribune Tower surpasses Sears in fame which is number 42 on that list.

American Association of Civil Engineers named Empire State one of the modern Seventh Wonders Wonders of the World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Empire State has been officially recognized as National Landmark since 1986. Empire State Building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sears Tower does not bear that designation at all.

What does it take for you guys to face the facts that outside of Chicago nobody really cares for Sears or Hancock that much? You may have your own opinion about value of Sears but when we talk about general sentiment there is a hard data to support the claim that Empire State easily beats Sears and any other building in the nation for that matter? Can't you deal with facts?
Listen chump, its called an OPINION. I have mine, you have yours. If you'd PAY ATTENTION, Im not saying that the Sears Tower is better looking than the ESB, because its not. What Im saying is that the Sears Tower is just as infamous as the ESB, which I will ALWAYS say that it is. You CANNOT go anywhere in this country and find someone who doesnt know what the Sears Tower is. Mention the name and everyone will know it. Guaranteed. Same goes for the ESB.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:49 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times
Quote:
Listen chump, its called an OPINION. I have mine, you have yours. If you'd PAY ATTENTION, Im not saying that the Sears Tower is better looking than the ESB, because its not. What Im saying is that the Sears Tower is just as infamous as the ESB, which I will ALWAYS say that it is. You CANNOT go anywhere in this country and find someone who doesnt know what the Sears Tower is. Mention the name and everyone will know it. Guaranteed. Same goes for the ESB.
well even kids know about the ESB more than the sears so i doubt that. Plus about the movie thing NYC has been in a whole lot more movies in tv shows than chicago so u will see more of the ESB than the Sears.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 PM

48 posts, read 103,399 times
Chicago in my opinion is overall a better skyline. Without a question chicago wins in hieght, but new york has a much bigger downtown. Chicago though has more unique buildings. Both new york and Chicago both have awesome skylines.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown Den. View Post
Chicago in my opinion is overall a better skyline. Without a question chicago wins in hieght, but new york has a much bigger downtown. Chicago though has more unique buildings. Both new york and Chicago both have awesome skylines.

Really? Do you know of building more unique than ESB, Chrysler or Flatiron?

How about bueatiful bridges being a part of New York's skyline? Any in Chicago?

How about Statue of Liberty?

Have you ever been to New York? Chicago in comparison looks like a suburb.

PS. New York does not have a downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City