Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Jersey City VS New Orleans
Jersey City 51 48.11%
New Orleans 55 51.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:47 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,553,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i'll start off with it being the birthplace of jazz. One of the first american genre of music
congo square baby!

but i think i chose jc. love nawlins though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:07 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,277,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
New Orleans has more history than most of the United States itself. That's excluding the history of Louisiana.
Since you want to throw a Wiki article, check this?

History of New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Revolution and the Louisiana Purchase - TLP

and still is nowhere near all of it. I could go own about what Jersey doesn't have, but see I don't know anythomg about New Jersey I can't speak on it. Next time you comment on NO, know what you're talking about.
Whoa, easy there...I never said New Orleans didn't have history. I know it does. My premise is that Jersey City has a much better location, climate, economy, quality of life, is safer, and has more things to do nearby (3 minutes to Manhattan NYC, 45 minutes to beaches, 45 minutes to the mountains, 2 hours from Atlantic City, and the list goes on. As far as I know, the only thing 45 minutes away from New Orleans is swamps. I really enjoyed my stay in New Orleans....as a place to visit...but what I'm trying to do is list all the positive aspects that Jersey City offers as a place to LIVE (not visit).

Old 06-03-2009, 03:10 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,966,421 times
Why argue with KONY?
He's a notorious NJ hater & will never, ever give Jersey credit for anything.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,496,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Whoa, easy there...I never said New Orleans didn't have history. I know it does. My premise is that Jersey City has a much better location, climate, economy, quality of life, is safer, and has more things to do nearby (3 minutes to Manhattan NYC, 45 minutes to beaches, 45 minutes to the mountains, 2 hours from Atlantic City, and the list goes on. As far as I know, the only thing 45 minutes away from New Orleans is swamps. I really enjoyed my stay in New Orleans....as a place to visit...but what I'm trying to do is list all the positive aspects that Jersey City offers as a place to LIVE (not visit).
Location, climate, quality of life, and relative safety are all matters of opinion. The economy here is mainly based on tourism, oil, construction, and getting the rest of the country what it needs. I'd say the economy is not that bad considering the effects of Katrina. It's not the best, but hey! They are now trying to get into the biomedical realm. New Orleans also has it's crime problems, but how bad it affects you depends on how you live and the situations you put yourself in for the most part. 45 minutes to an hour from New Orleans and you have Baton Rouge to west and the Mississippi Gulf Coast to the east. That being said, how good a place is should not depend on what was 45 minutes away IMHO. Shouldn't it be the things that keep you in said city and not what attracts you away?
If you ask me, you don't get the true essence of NOLA until you leave the CBD. All of that touristy **** is overrated or over stereotyped.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,689,881 times
The city not in the South!

Last edited by californialove24; 06-03-2009 at 08:50 PM..

Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,302,299 times
New Orleans is not a Southern City as much as it is a Gulf city.
And the immigrant history here is much like that in New York....Irish, Italian, German...and much of the Americans that came in during the boom years of the pre Civil War era were from Philly and NYC, so New Orleans definately has this odd New Yorkish/Gulf Coast flavor but I'd characterize it as different from say Charleston/Savannah or much of the "Deep South".

And I live in New Orleans therefore I pick NOLA > *

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 AM

i've heard people say that new orleans is an anomaly and that its like a new york of sorts in the south having its own culture..

its home to musicians from all over the world

Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM

655 posts, read 2,184,769 times
Not many - if any - people move to Jersey City for its own qualities. The reason behind it is usually the neighboring behemoth.

I'd definitely go with New Orleans on this one.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,277,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Not many - if any - people move to Jersey City for its own qualities. The reason behind it is usually the neighboring behemoth.

I'd definitely go with New Orleans on this one.
So you live in NYC, but you would choose to live in NO over JC, which is right across the river from where you currently live?

What would you do for a living...just curious.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
So you live in NYC, but you would choose to live in NO over JC, which is right across the river from where you currently live?

What would you do for a living...just curious.
yeah, seriously. its faster to get into manhattan from jc than many parts of the outer boroughs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City