Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the Better Architecture, Structure, Vibe?
Cincinnati 124 50.20%
St. Louis 123 49.80%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM

125 posts, read 263,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
who are you kidding.

please do not make false assertions that cincinnati somehow enjoyed higher densities than st. louis. in 1950, both cities peaked in population; st. louis with 857,000, cincinnati with 504,000. at the same time, st. louis had over 14,000 people per square mile, while cincinnati had 6,340 people per square mile. i think you meant to say that st. louis reached a density that cincinnati never did, not the other way around.

thank you, professor. this really doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but if it makes you feel better, then fine. the fact remains that cincinnati trails with respect to transit by virtue of being one of only a handful of major cities in the country with no rail whatsoever. any urban enthusiast would agree. i am glad that it appears to finally be getting at least a streetcar.

not sure where you draw your predictions, but if the past 10 years are any indicator, you are wrong. cincinnati lost 10.4% of its population over the past decade; st. louis lost 8%. so even if cincinnati is "doing a much better job of trying to draw people back to the core" than st. louis, it's not working. trying and succeeding are two different things. meanwhile, st. louis experienced the highest increase in the united states in the number of educated young people living within 3 miles of downtown over the same period, so dismissing st. louis's efforts as worthless or ineffective again ignores facts. by outward appearances, it seems as though cincinnati could take some hints from st. louis.

call me defensive if you want to, but i'm not really responding any differently than you are. this is a city vs. city thread and you have taken one side while i have taken the other. nothing wrong with a disagreement.
Question: have you ever been to Cincinnati?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 PM

976 posts, read 2,245,834 times
i have been to cincinnati many, many times. it's actually one of my favorite places to stop between philadelphia and st. louis, a drive i have made countless times. my college (undergrad) roommate was from montgomery, oh and we went to visit his family a number of times. i like cincinnati, i really do. but if we're comparing these two cities, i will share my honest perceptions.

Last edited by JMT; 05-24-2011 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Removed the vulgarity.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,475,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The riverfront is decades ahead of St. Louis.

Say what? Cincinnati is a city that has a history with paddlewheelers on the Ohio river, yet there is no downtown municipal marina to dock a boat.
You may want to check with the Army Corps of Engineers before criticizing what is or is not on the Cincinnati riverfront. Because of bends in the river and the flood zone, there are some things that can be placed on the Kentucky riverfront directly across from downtown Cincinnati, but cannot be situated on the north shore.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,634,625 times
I would think the Kentucky side of the Ohio river would flood just as much as the Ohio side.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:59 PM

34 posts, read 56,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
Question: have you ever been to Cincinnati?
Have you been to St. Louis besides that one time you stayed downtown? If so, did you explore the many different city neighborhoods? That is the best part about St. Louis.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,475,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I would think the Kentucky side of the Ohio river would flood just as much as the Ohio side.
It's not quite that easy. The Army Corps of Engineers has to take into account depths, curves and bends in the river, all which impact river traffic and everything from tourist-friendly paddlewheel riverboats to half-mile-long barges loaded with tons and tons of rock, coal and other things.

Topography and land elevation also impacts what areas are more flood-prone than others.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 AM

125 posts, read 263,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins79 View Post
Have you been to St. Louis besides that one time you stayed downtown? If so, did you explore the many different city neighborhoods? That is the best part about St. Louis.
I always stay downtown, does staying downtown suggest someone never left the hotel?

Soulard and Central West End stood out. Not a fan of the redevelopment on the Northside, lacks character.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,634,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
It's not quite that easy. The Army Corps of Engineers has to take into account depths, curves and bends in the river, all which impact river traffic and everything from tourist-friendly paddlewheel riverboats to half-mile-long barges loaded with tons and tons of rock, coal and other things.

Topography and land elevation also impacts what areas are more flood-prone than others.

Just curious how Pittsburgh, Louisville, St. Louis, Memphis, etc get by.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,601,985 times
Man. These city vs city threads can get down right hostile. Residents of both cities have much to be proud of.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
cincinnati: smaller, more conservative, only bus transit, borders kentucky

st. louis: larger, more liberal, bus and rail transit, borders illinois

st. louis.

smtchll-- st. louis was the only jurisdiction in the state to vote against a constitutional ban on gay marriage. st. louis city is both democrat and liberal. it was the first city in the midwest to have a domestic partnership registry for same-sex couples, years before even chicago. it happens to be trapped in a conservative state, but the city itself is the only reason missouri didn't officially secede from the union during the civil war. there is a long history of very liberal sentiment in st. louis. cincinnati is almost exactly the opposite.
Well lets look at some facts,,Cincinnati's transit actually border 8 counties of 3 states being Ohio,Kentucky and Indiana, and as far as size,,well,,Cincinnati has 79.6 square miles where St Louis has 66.2 square miles,,that makes Cincinnati slightly larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City