Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the Better Architecture, Structure, Vibe?
Cincinnati 124 50.20%
St. Louis 123 49.80%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM

141 posts, read 479,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
nice pics

this could be in baltimore or philly
When i first moved to Ohio from Philly, we were driving around Cincy and i swore i was in Baltimore. Cincy is a interesting city, its part Southern, Midwestern,and Northeastern all in one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 PM

75 posts, read 254,676 times
Yeah I love Cincinnati, but it has always reminded me of Philly.
But I love the skyline and city layout. Always have.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Cincinnati is ugly and old lookin, ew. So St. Louis.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Love Cincinnati's skyline hands down!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,370 times
Well, let's look at it this way.... St. Louis has the Arch, which is about the only thing that I've seen that really differentiates downtown St. Louis from Cincinnati, otherwise they look very, very similar, almost could be twin cities. However, the best view of the arch is across the river in E. St. Louis, Ill., not exactly a place I would go to just to look at the arch, or for that matter, the St. Louis skyline in generall or the boats and barges on the river. Immediately across the river from Cincinnati is Covington and Newport, which admittedly have a few shady areas, but the area around Newport on the Levee and the Aquarium is A-1 fantastic and lots to do and see there, can't say the same for across the river from St. Louis. Cincinnati hands down to me is the best, but to each his own.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM

19 posts, read 36,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yeah, right...I "picked" 3 houses out of the thousands that were available. It didn't take very long to "find" those 3 houses.

I don't think you know your city very well if you can't admit reality. Check out this site: Built St. Louis: Home

Of course the city isn't ALL run down...but large portions of it are falling in. I voted for St. Louis and I'm a big fan of the city, but I also understand reality.
I live in the exurbs south of St. Louis in Jefferson County and I have taken, for the last couple of years, an interest in exploring the wonderful and historic city of St. Louis. The city is amazing. The pictures you showed are not indicative at all of the city. You can go to a club downtown, get coffee, go to an ivy league university, and do many other things in the city without ever seeing an abandoned building. (This is miles upon miles of travel through the compact and historic city.) It's true that the North Side could be considered to be "falling in" as you say, but to most people in the city that is a no-go zone. For better or worse, most residents of the city don't even go to that part of it and continue with their vibrant and cosmopolitan life south of Washington Avenue.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 PM

19 posts, read 36,214 times
Default Not quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
a
The bridge over the Mississippi is not out, and never was. Hwy 40 is finished as well. Both cities are not moderate. St. Louis is one of the most liberal cities in the Midwest, if not the country. You also said neither park system is significant. Forest Park is larger than Central Park in NYC and contains an internationally respected, free zoo. Just thought I'd let you know the errors in your comparison.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_w1389 View Post
The bridge over the Mississippi is not out, and never was. Hwy 40 is finished as well. Both cities are not moderate. St. Louis is one of the most liberal cities in the Midwest, if not the country. You also said neither park system is significant. Forest Park is larger than Central Park in NYC and contains an internationally respected, free zoo. Just thought I'd let you know the errors in your comparison.
Democrat, yes, socially liberal, no. If it were mostly socially liberal then the city wouldn't have voted 47% to ban gay marriage, and 60% in the county.
http://www.uselectionatlas.org/RESUL...off=51&elect=5

In the same year, Hamilton County OH (where Cincinnati is located) voted 56% for the ban, so it comes out to around the same percentage for STL city+county.
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004//pages/results/states/OH/I/01/county.001.html

Yes, STL city was the only county in MO to vote against the ban, but 53% doesn't scream "socially liberal" and STL county screams just the opposite. Of course, that was 7 years ago, views definitely have changed, but I'd still say the metro area is socially moderate overall with a right lean.

I know this isn't the only issue that defines socially liberal vs socially conservative, but it does give a lot of insight into the ideological climate of a place. I always see some STL posters trying to paint Cincinnati as some backwoods, non-progressive place, but the results come out similar for both cities on this particular issue.

Last edited by Smtchll; 05-17-2011 at 11:50 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Democrat, yes, socially liberal, no. If it were mostly socially liberal then the city wouldn't have voted 47% to ban gay marriage, and 60% in the county.
2004 Referendum Open Primary Election Results - Missouri

In the same year, Hamilton County OH (where Cincinnati is located) voted 56% for the ban, so it comes out to around the same percentage for STL city+county.
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004//pages/results/states/OH/I/01/county.001.html

Yes, STL city was the only county in MO to vote against the ban, but 53% doesn't scream "socially liberal" and STL county screams just the opposite. Of course, that was 7 years ago, views definitely have changed, but I'd still say the metro area is socially moderate overall with a right lean.

I know this isn't the only issue that defines socially liberal vs socially conservative, but it does give a lot of insight into the ideological climate of a place. I always see some STL posters trying to paint Cincinnati as some backwoods, non-progressive place, but the results come out similar for both cities on this particular issue.
It is important to point out that the vote was done 8 years ago when numbers were more supportive of the ban then. Also if I remember at about that time support was bumped a bit higher for some reason at that time, since at other times it has been a steady decline. It would be interesting to see views today on that and other social issues. My guess is both cities will be a bit more conservative than say Great Lakes Midwest cities.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
cincinnati: smaller, more conservative, only bus transit, borders kentucky

st. louis: larger, more liberal, bus and rail transit, borders illinois

st. louis.

smtchll-- st. louis was the only jurisdiction in the state to vote against a constitutional ban on gay marriage. st. louis city is both democrat and liberal. it was the first city in the midwest to have a domestic partnership registry for same-sex couples, years before even chicago. it happens to be trapped in a conservative state, but the city itself is the only reason missouri didn't officially secede from the union during the civil war. there is a long history of very liberal sentiment in st. louis. cincinnati is almost exactly the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City