Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:09 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times

Advertisements

I foresee a COS/Castle Rock/Denver metroplex before a COS/Pueblo plex, although with the direction of the economy I don't see much growth in any direction. Actually I agree with 'Dog', there's not enough to support any of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:51 PM

598 posts, read 1,547,097 times
I honestly cannot see a COS/Pueblo plex... MSP/STP are a whopping 7 or 8 miles apart and Dallas/FW 30 or so miles. 40 miles for COS/Pueblo...most of which are desolate. Don't see it happening.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
So you guys don't think that in 100 years or so Colorado Springs metro will grow south and Pueblo will grow north to close in the gap? Especially when the city of Pueblo now extends to the county line and Fountain extends to the race track and Fort Carson is doubling.....

Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
So you guys don't think that in 100 years or so Colorado Springs metro will grow south and Pueblo will grow north to close in the gap? Especially when the city of Pueblo now extends to the county line and Fountain extends to the race track and Fort Carson is doubling.....
Fort Carson's current reservation is large enough it could upsize 10x and still not need another acre to service the base population. And I think an assumption of a large standing Army ad infinitum (i.e. out another century) is flawed as well. In its history, the U.S. has only maintained a standing Army since the end of WW II. The real cost of our ginormous standing military is just now starting to come into the limelight nationally. The depression we're entering is probably going to drive some real cutbacks in the size of our military forces.

I think COS will (eventually) tend to expand N and E to stay closer to what the Denver metroplex offers in the way of big-city facilities, and for rural development to stay over the Denver aquifer. Water availability outside the city limits in the more than 40 mile dead zone between COS and Pueblo is a real limiting factor.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Fort Carson's current reservation is large enough it could upsize 10x and still not need another acre to service the base population. And I think an assumption of a large standing Army ad infinitum (i.e. out another century) is flawed as well. In its history, the U.S. has only maintained a standing Army since the end of WW II. The real cost of our ginormous standing military is just now starting to come into the limelight nationally. The depression we're entering is probably going to drive some real cutbacks in the size of our military forces.

I think COS will (eventually) tend to expand N and E to stay closer to what the Denver metroplex offers in the way of big-city facilities, and for rural development to stay over the Denver aquifer. Water availability outside the city limits in the more than 40 mile dead zone between COS and Pueblo is a real limiting factor.
Well if the government closes a base then the Springs has bigger issues to worry about then if they will run into Pueblo or not.

Also, from what I hear most people will live off base and that is why they are expecting this area to grow, from the Springs, to Fountain, Pueblo and Canon City. I was also told by Colorado Springs officials that there is a good chance they will re open the Pueblo Army Depot to support Fort Carson as well bringing more people to the area.

Finally water is not a issue, at least with the land that Pueblo annexs as we have more then enough. In fact that is a driving force for the developers wanting to annex Pueblo Springs in Pueblo and not Fountain bringing the city of Pueblo to the county line. Not sure about Fountain's water situation.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,656,959 times
Quote:
No offense, but I don't think people want one huge continuous metropolitan area that is nothing but urban sprawl.Also, besides you Josseppie, I've never heard anyone say anything about Colorado Springs and Pueblo combining to form one metro area.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Some people in Pueblo and in Colorado Springs might not want it to happen.

However, when the land that Pueblo annex's gets developed and Fountain develops the land by the race track, I even hear that is where they want to put the national crematory, the two areas will merge. Then by definition it will be a metroplex. It might take 50 years, no one is saying it will happen next year, but eventually it will happen and residents of both cities need to be ready for the consequences of that, negative and positive.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,684 times
I live in the Springs and am frequently appalled by the Pueblo bashing from folks who never venture south of Fountain. Pueblo's downtown is at least on par with the Springs' downtown. For cultural diversity, Pueblo is ahead of the Springs (it's more of a latin-anglo crossroads, reflecting southern Colorado's history). The Springs has Little London (the old north side), but Pueblo has the Abriendo district: smaller but just as cozy and elegant a Victorian neighborhood. In my opinion, Pueblo West beats Briargate for suburban living. The Springs offers better views to the west, but Pueblo has better weather. It's more of a wash than Springs' residents think. Pueblo is a lot more than a steel mill and a lake. Go south and have a look. Pueblo will never surpass the Springs for population, but that's not everything.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,990 times
Quote:
Nope. There might be some neighborhoods in North Pueblo, but how much has Pueblo grown in the last 100 years?...very little. If anything happens, 35+ acre plots will continue to be sold North of Pueblo to individuals slowing city and neighborhood growth.

I agree that Colorado Springs growth will continue as it has in the North and Easterly directions. Ft. Carson blocks most of the land immediately South and combined with the Airport creates a very small corridor for vehicle travel South. A little more growth down there and there will be lots of traffic congestion stopping any large growth. Besides, Woodland Park and the Black Forest are just more scenic compared to immediately South of Colorado Springs.

To the East is similar flat land but better access with the future plans for finishing Powers to I-25 on the North side, plans for two more overpass intersections on Woodman, extension of several 6 lane roads (Dublin, Stetson Hills, Constitution), and I-24 access. Besides, expansion North and East is already planned and underway with Banning Lewis Ranch, Wolf Ranch, Cordera, and Flying Horse.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
Nope. There might be some neighborhoods in North Pueblo, but how much has Pueblo grown in the last 100 years?...very little. If anything happens, 35+ acre plots will continue to be sold North of Pueblo to individuals slowing city and neighborhood growth.

I agree that Colorado Springs growth will continue as it has in the North and Easterly directions. Ft. Carson blocks most of the land immediately South and combined with the Airport creates a very small corridor for vehicle travel South. A little more growth down there and there will be lots of traffic congestion stopping any large growth. Besides, Woodland Park and the Black Forest are just more scenic compared to immediately South of Colorado Springs.

To the East is similar flat land but better access with the future plans for finishing Powers to I-25 on the North side, plans for two more overpass intersections on Woodman, extension of several 6 lane roads (Dublin, Stetson Hills, Constitution), and I-24 access. Besides, expansion North and East is already planned and underway with Banning Lewis Ranch, Wolf Ranch, Cordera, and Flying Horse.
In fact it has already happened on paper when Pueblo annexed the lariat around Pueblo Springs.

The developers say the first phase has to be big enough to pay for the whole development and that will start this year, so we will see how long it takes for the area to develop. Given how bad the economy is in California and getting worse I don't think they will have any issues getting major companies to move here.

BTW I think you mean the last 30 years because even in the 1950's Pueblo grew by 40% and if you go back even farther from 1900 to 1910 pueblo grew like 200%.

Everyone says Pueblo cant grow, this is a Springs thread so imagine if all the military bases closed up in 5 years. Would the Springs keep growing like they are now because of their location or would they have to struggle for 20 years until they redeveloped their economy? I suspect the latter. That is what happened to Pueblo in the 1980's, the steel industry collapsed over night, we lost the Pueblo Army Depot and a big meat packing company closed up. It has taken Pueblo 20 years to redevelop its economy but now that it has you see companies moving in again and growth planned here that drawfs any plans for the Springs.

Here is but two examples:

1. About Vestas:

Colorado Springs economic development officials have listed alternative energy as a target industry for creating local jobs. Friday's announcement is not a loss for Colorado Springs, said David White, executive vice president of the Colorado Springs Economic Development Corp.

"Even though it would have been nice to attract this company into our region, the reality is we just don't have any rail sites. We don't have the kind of heavy industrial capabilities the city of Pueblo has," White said. "It's really a win for southern Colorado. Not everyone who works at this plant will live in Pueblo."

The link: http://www.gazette.com/articles/vestas_39640___article.html/turbine_pueblo.html

2. Colorado Energy Park that the Gazette came out in support for and now a proposed $900 million solar plant and a new foundry for Vesta's.

Note: Last I looked highway 24 is not a interstate......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City