Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
It seems the Charlotte forumers are getting all bent out of shape, When this happens in most cases it means they have been proven wrong. The Texas folk seem to keep their composure.
If you read from page one and still think this, then you are entitled to your opinion, but the truth of the matter for the rest of us is quite different. We have been bombarded by basically a nonstop superiority complex which can get old after a few comments (and this has nothing to do with the cities or states, just certain people posting). Most comments weren't even directed my way but it still gets tiring.

I have seen no one here try to downsize SA but it has been the opposite coming are way with our skyline being called weak, or people out of state from her rival city suddenly called "biased towards her" for correcting something, or posters being told they are "blinded by facts" which in most cases aren't from their point of view. If anyone posted something aggressively in return, it most likely is in response to this attitude.

I have lived more days of my life in San Antonio then in Charlotte (I live a fairly long drive from her) and am not a native of this state, but I don't like faux superiority like your comment implies, and I doubt any "American" does either. I haven't seen any generalized comments towards your state now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:35 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
I like Charlotte a lot especially it inner city development but it is no SA or Austin yet

Old 03-02-2009, 06:38 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
It seems the Charlotte forumers are getting all bent out of shape, When this happens in most cases it means they have been proven wrong. The Texas folk seem to keep their composure.
No, it's that some of the Texas boosters wildly exaggerate statistics and figures to make their cities look like the next NYC. Charlotteans are much more realistic about the state of their city.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I like Charlotte a lot especially it inner city development but it is no SA or Austin yet
You mean Austin or San Antonio is no Charlotte yet....where's their new light rail line? Their larger skyline? Their new downtown cultural campus? New downtown NBA arena? And on top of that we have a larger gross metropolitan product.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No, it's that some of the Texas boosters wildly exaggerate statistics and figures to make their cities look like the next NYC. Charlotteans are much more realistic about the state of their city.
You have to understand. Some Texans have never left the borders to even have an observation of other cities. But even that's not an excuse. There is this thing called research. Many need to look into that.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
There goes to name calling, instead of the bickering, show some stats on how Charlotte is comprable to San Antonio population wise the first 500 square miles. It has half the population, no skyline or light rail is going to change that. San Antonio is looking into light rail again, but you have to remember San Antonio has a huge freeway system, which buys it a little time. Dallas and Houston didn't get thier light rail untill they reached the 5 million mark. Austin is working on their light rail, and commuter rail between San Antonio and Austin is almost a go.
http://asarail.org/

I will say Charlotte is a very progressive city for it's size, being a financial hub gives it a advantage. No one said it wasn't a progressive city..

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 03-02-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 AM

251 posts, read 710,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You mean Austin or San Antonio is no Charlotte yet....where's their new light rail line? Their larger skyline? Their new downtown cultural campus? New downtown NBA arena? And on top of that we have a larger gross metropolitan product.
Don't you think you're over inflating your city when your city is cutting service on its light rail, the skyline is filling with buildings that are having difficulty getting filled, I would think think you'd know that San Antonio has a new Smithsonian in its downtown, Charlotte's NBA team has no championships-what good is a new arena when you having a losing team?, and not to mention, the GMP of Charlotte will be going down with Wachovia's failure and Bank of America being on life support.
BTW: 1,990,675 rounds up to 2 million, not 1.9 million.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 AM

Charlotte just got a new team, they lost their Hornets to Nawlins. Can't have a winning team so quickly.

Anyhow Wachovia merged with Wells Fargo, but still the financial industry is in hot water. I use to work at Wachovia National Mortgage offices which is Head Quartered in San Antonio off Wiseman Blvd, couple thousand employees. I hated their micro management system, everything else was great.

Anyhow Downtown S.A has a so many points of interest, and with the Riverwalk expanison etc, SA has a very exciting downtown, it's always busy. Charlotte is building up their downtown or uptown as they call it.

Oh and S.A metro is close to 2.1 million, with over 1.6 million in Bexar county.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:51 AM

This is my last attempt to convince are buds in Charlotte the difference in urbanized area, the denser city and larger population between old/new San Antone and Modern Charlotte. Thse vs threads can be brutal, but we all asked for this separate forum.

Mcklenburg 527 sq miles and 827,000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Charlotte_Mecklenburg.png

Bexar has 1200 square miles but over 1,600,000 people, 98% of that 1.6 million is centerd in about 500 square miles of San Antonio, and it's bedroom cities and adjacent suburbs, another almost 150,000 in the adjacent suburbs that spill into the Comal and Guadulpe which all meet in the center of the Randolph metrocom.

metrocom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schertz,_Texas

population urbanized area in map below, over 1.7 million. Double the poulation of Charlotte core, in about the same size area translates to twice as dense within the 500 square miles. Again Charlotte gains ground when thousands of square miles are included(Metro) but the topic is urbanity and density, not small comunties 50 miles away.

Map
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bexar_SanAntonio.svg

Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Since the last census estimate no way SA gained 100k in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City